💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Arthur Fogel: Gaga not confirmed to perform at Selma

Blue Jeans

Featured Posts

Schwerk

​I doubt Gaga and R. Kelly would perform Do What U Want, but it's not as irrational an idea as you are making it out to be. "You can't have my heart, and you won't use my mind, but do what you want with my body" actually sounds like a line straight out of the journal of a Freedom Rider or Andrew Goodman's epitaph. Do What U Want (minus R. Kelly's verse) wouldn't be that strange considering the event, Gaga's acoustic version would be pretty spot on. 

I highly doubt Gaga could ever do justice to Strange Fruit, she doesn't have the soul required.  

Considering what she has done in the past a cover of Lennon's Imagine would be appropriate, or an acapella rendition of The Star Spangled Banner. If she wants to cover a song directly relating to civil rights movement a cover of one of Nina Simone's folkier anthems would be great. (Go Limp, Mississippi Goddamn, The King of Love Is Dead, I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free.)

You're right, Strange Fruit would be a challenge but I think she could. I think she has the soul and if she makes it her own and doesn't try to sound like Billy it could work. But yes, Nina Simones work seems like a better fit musically.

DWUW's verses might fit, but what about the chorus? Also from what Ive noticed, which is often the case with Gagas music, people tend to interpret it the easy and obvious way. They don't understand Judas isn't literally about loving Judas and think Pokerface is about having fun in Vegas. Even recent reviews of the Oscars keep referring to her music as if it lacks depth and substance. I don't think DWUW would come across right.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SKANK

You're right, Strange Fruit would be a challenge but I think she could. I think she has the soul and if she makes it her own and doesn't try to sound like Billy it could work. But yes, Nina Simones work seems like a better fit musically.

DWUW's verses might fit, but what about the chorus? Also from what Ive noticed, which is often the case with Gagas music, people tend to interpret it the easy and obvious way. They don't understand Judas isn't literally about loving Judas and think Pokerface is about having fun in Vegas. Even recent reviews of the Oscars keep referring to her music as if it lacks depth and substance. I don't think DWUW would come across right.

​

You are probably right. The way people perceive Gaga and her music would taint a performance of Do What U Want, regardless of how interesting and relevant she could potentially make the song for the event. Imagine, Born This Way, or another song would probably work better. 

But I strongly disagree about Gaga being able to sing Strange Fruit successfully. I love her and think she is boundless in her talent, but her voice is too conventionally pretty for that song. When artists with lovely voices (Diana Ross, Jeff Buckley, Annie Lennox, etc.) try and take on Strange Fruit it is always unsuccessful. Strange Fruit requires an unattractive voice, a voice that you have to put effort into liking. A pretty voice singing over such a grotesque poem is just wrong. It doesn't work. Other then Billie Holiday, Nina Simone is the only artist who has done justice to Strange Fruit…and there is no way Gaga is going to be able to top either of them, so it's best not to try. 

lady-gaga-do-what-u-want-video-620x400.j

On Saturday, President Obama will give a speech to commemorate the anniversary of the Selma-to-Montgomery march (which is marked each year by the Annual Bridge Crossing Jubilee).

If the president of the United States isn't enough of an A-lister for you, the event has just added more names: Lady Gaga and R. Kelly. The two will reportedly perform after Obama speech, but we're guessing they won't reprise their uber-s-xual duet "Do What U Want" this weekend.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6487693/lady-gaga-r-kelly-obama-selma-50th

BUY BEAUTY BEHIND THE MADNESS ON ITUNES.

Teal Ambition

Um did you read? "we're guessing they WON'T reprise..." :awkney:

They're probably not even performing together.

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

The bolded text contradicts the thread title :flop:

​just realized that :toofloppy: sorry 

Um did you read? "we're guessing they WON'T reprise..." :awkney:

​fixed sorry :air: 

Jester

If they're not performing DWUW I hope they're not performing together at all

Archived