💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Drake's Latest Surprise Release Hit Album Was Initially For Free

lindongardon

Featured Posts

lindongardon

Last week, Drake dropped If You're Reading This It's Too Late as a surprise release for sale on iTunes, following months of rumors that he had a mixtape in the works.

In a new interview with HipHopDX, DatPiff founder Kyle "KP" Reilly revealed that If You're Reading This It's Too Late was originally planned as a free release on his mixtape site. Instead, Drake's label, Cash Money, pushed for it to be released through retail. It was supposed to be hosted by DJ Drama as part of his Gangsta Grillz series.

"Originally we were in talks to release it for free," Reilly said. "However the label was not in favor of that and they struck an agreement to release the project the retail route and it would count towards one of his albums."

He added, "It was a mutual decision since he wanted to give it away. [The label] said, 'Hell no,' not in those words, so they 'agreed' to do it this way as a middle ground and it would count towards his Cash Money deal album total."

The decision paid off, as If You're Reading This It's Too Late debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 this week, selling 495,000 copies.

Drake's mentor Lil Wayne is currently involved in a lawsuit seeking $51 million and contractual freedom from Cash Money.

http://pitchfork.com/news/58558-drakes-if-youre-reading-this-its-too-late-was-originally-planned-as-a-free-release/

---

Bling not the music. :sis:

Corrupt label indeed. :redface:

Gaga Monster

Wow. He should just consider it a album and just release the album he is working on now later this year.

GGD Presidential Elections

Supersonic

It was available for free download for like 2-3 hours on Drake's website until the label took down the link because it did so well. :flop: I thought everybody knew that

Haroon

Well if it's true that he agreed so it'd be 1 album closer to fulfilling the deal and getting out of the messy record label situation then great :shrug: Win-win situation for both parties I guess :huh:

Judas Oyster

Ofc, he's getting out of the 4 album contract with YMCMB and is going to go away together with Lil Wayne, and hopefully Nicki after her 5 or 6 album album contract.

I'm kinda disappointed because I was waiting for the true album 'Views from the 6", specially putting it up for 12-13$ instead of a lower price when in the first place it was gonna be for free...

He want's us to see the album as a mixtape, he tweeted one picture one time out it "Did u like the mixtape" it was called.

Well if it's true that he agreed so it'd be 1 album closer to fulfilling the deal and getting out of the messy record label situation then great :shrug: Win-win situation for both parties I guess :huh:

I think the main issue for Drake is that he doesn't view the work as album material and now it will forever represent him as such. I'm sure he's gonna be happier off of the label though.

Cody Draco

I only use 3 songs from the "album", it's his worst release to date and so not deserving of it's success. The male Taylor Swift. :rip:

Archived