💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Iggy Azalea responds to Jill Scott and Eve's "Blaccent" stereotype

Remus

Featured Posts

Good ****ing lord I'm tired of people talking negatively about her. I'm not a huge fan but it's one article after the other. Get the **** over it. 

I mean African American English is it's own dialect... and I know she moved here when she was young but I would guess she didn't pick it up that effortlessly. I know that there is a lot of negativity towards her and not all of it is warranted but I don't think it's respectful to tell these black women that they need to "get over" someone who has genuinely offended them. If they see this as too much, or as disrespectful, we should not simply shoo away their grievances. The african american community cares very deeply about their culture, and I don't think that Eve and Jill Scott are bringing up this issue to keep their name in the public eye.

So please guys, next time you see a person of color accuse a white person of cultural appropriation or disrespecting their community, don't dismiss their complaints as trivial matters. There's a difference between a website riling up different races to get clicks and black people actually saying that something offends them.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paper Gangsta

Omg must she respond to everything :air: Sometimes, it's just better to let things go, rather than reply to every critic or "hater", especially when you handle your responses as bad as she does :smh:

so if she doesn't have twitter rant bashing everyone around herself like that other female rapper her rensponse is bad lol? Just because she keeps it classy doesn't matter it's bad 

Vernier

so if she doesn't have twitter rant bashing everyone around herself like that other female rapper her rensponse is bad lol? Just because she keeps it classy doesn't matter it's bad 

No? I mean good for her that she keeps it classy, but she replies to almost everything including jokes and memes from irrelevant twitter users, there's simply no need :shrug:

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn

Paper Gangsta

No? I mean good for her that she keeps it classy, but she replies to almost everything including jokes and memes from irrelevant twitter users, there's simply no need :shrug:

Jill Scott and Eve aren't irrelevant twitter users. Unless you were refering to Azealia Banks 

Vernier

Jill Scott and Eve aren't irrelevant twitter users. Unless you were refering to Azealia Banks 

Wow, thanks for informing me about that, I actually thought they were :usrs: I was talking about her in general, not just this particular situation, and yes sometimes she's better off not replying and letting it go, even if it is to Jill Scott and Eve, because her replies actually aren't helping her, when she keeps looking more ignorant than ever :emma:

Paper Gangsta

Wow, thanks for informing me about that, I actually thought they were :usrs: I was talking about her in general, not just this particular situation, and yes sometimes she's better off not replying and letting it go, even if it is to Jill Scott and Eve, because her replies actually aren't helping her, when she keeps looking more ignorant than ever :emma:

I didn't say you thought they were. But topic is about them so that comment doesn't relate to the thread unless they really were irrelevant twitter users

APPLAUSE4YOU

I think that she is being taken for the longest stroll of bull**** criticism. She may not stand strong with the African American demographic but I don't really think it was her intention to "steal" their culture for profit. If she loves rap/hip-hop culture and wants to be a part of it (accent and all) why can't she? Because she's white? How quick do people become racist whether it be whites towards blacks or blacks towards whites. It can be said she responds too much but honestly, the hate for her is too much at this point.

And just a question: Would anyone listen to her if she rapped and sounded like she came out of the Outback? Absolutely not. She must fit in if she wishes to make it in the hip-hop industry and the accent is obviously making her voice more fitting for the role. And besides, if she is passionate and doing what she loves, she's automatically appropriating and using African American culture? Maybe she's helping spread it through other demographics. People only see what they want to see and usually it's the negative so they can bring somebody down.

codymonster

ehhhhh. Authenticity is crucial in the hip-hop community. She came in as a white girl from Australia who takes on the stereotypical southern black person when she raps. Theres no physiological or linguistic reason that that would occur. It's a conscious choice on her part, and it's inauthentic to who she is. That doesn't go over well in the hip-hop community, especially when it intersects with race relations.

So is it racist that Gaga uses an obviously fake French accent when she's in France? Or that she sounds more "thug" during Jewels N' Drugs? No, cause she's doing her thing.

Iggy can do whatever the **** she wants, just like a black person should be able to do whatever the **** they want. Do black people have it overall harder? Yes, I definitely think so. But trying to limit another race is neither proactive or racially sensitive. People who have an issue with Iggy are being very narrow minded and don't realize that the epitome of freedom is being able to live your life however you see fit.

That's like a gay person saying to a straight person that he can't dress so well, cause it's OUR thing and that we've suffered more than you. It's stupid.

HighwayGuy

So is it racist that Gaga uses an obviously fake French accent when she's in France? Or that she sounds more "thug" during Jewels N' Drugs? No, cause she's doing her thing.

Iggy can do whatever the **** she wants, just like a black person should be able to do whatever the **** they want. Do black people have it overall harder? Yes, I definitely think so. But trying to limit another race is neither proactive or racially sensitive. People who have an issue with Iggy are being very narrow minded and don't realize that the epitome of freedom is being able to live your life however you see fit.

That's like a gay person saying to a straight person that he can't dress so well, cause it's OUR thing and that we've suffered more than you. It's stupid.

Stereotyping the whole gay community is not helping your argument   :flop:

Vernier

I didn't say you thought they were. But topic is about them so that comment doesn't relate to the thread unless they really were irrelevant twitter users

It relates to the thread, because the original comment you quoted asked why she feels she has to reply to everything, which includes random twitter users. Wasn't saying Jill Scott and Eve come under this category, but my point is that she didn't have to reply to them because she already replies to too many criticisms towards her, and she doesn't do a good job of it. If that makes sense :shrug:

codymonster

Stereotyping the whole gay community is not helping your argument :flop:

That's the point tho. It sounds ridiculous to stereotype the gay community, and then not allow anyone else to be part of those stereotypes. So why is it fair to stereotype the entire black and white community?

That's exactly what people are doing with the Iggy thing. Saying "you can't do that, cause that's our thing." When there's lots of black people who don't rap and do stereotypically "white jobs." Both sides can do whatever the **** they want, cause there shouldn't be sides. We're all human. The race and stereotyping thing is ridiculous, and people attacking Iggy are not helping the problem at all.

Cocaine Heart

Good ****ing lord I'm tired of people talking negatively about her. I'm not a huge fan but it's one article after the other. Get the **** over it. 

We going to boo

Willy Wonka

I didn't even mention racism in my post and spoke about how the hip-hop community views inauthenticity. So I don't know what relevance your comment has to mine.

And just a question: Would anyone listen to her if she rapped and sounded like she came out of the Outback? Absolutely not. She must fit in if she wishes to make it in the hip-hop industry and the accent is obviously making her voice more fitting for the role. 

Americans, both white and black, should be more aware of their "accent privilege" in regard to popular music and culture.

Y'all fired Cheryl Cole from US X Factor because her accent to too different and regional UK. Personally I'd like to hear Iggy use an Aussie accent but it's not her fault black American accent is hegemonic in hip-hop.

Archived