💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Iggy Azalea responds to Jill Scott and Eve's "Blaccent" stereotype

Remus

Featured Posts

iggy_azalea_770_2.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1

After Jill Scott and Eve weighed in on the ongoing discussion of cultural appropriation in hip-hop last week and targeted Iggy Azalea's "blaccent" as an example of her lacking originality, the Australian rapper has responded.

Posting to Twitter on Wednesday (Jan. 28), Azalea suggested unnamed people -- presumably Scott and Eve -- just feel uncomfortable with who she is and would rather try to pin her to Australian stereotypes than accept this as real. She also offered advice to her young fans: "Be as complex and multidimensional and interesting as you possibly can."

Read her full comments below:

"There's a difference between being yourself and being your stereotype. When people I've never met say I should act more like "myself". I feel like they're really saying "act more like how I sterotype you to be, so I can feel comfortable"

I'm myself as strange as I may be, daily. I think it's really important we all feel free to explore or feel passionate about whatever u wish.

And I hope all my young fans take what I'm saying and remember it if you ever find yourself in similar shoes.
Be as complex and multidimensional and interesting as you possibly can."

- Iggy Azalea, 29/01/15

Source: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/the-juice/6451198/iggy-azalea-responds-jill-scott-eve-blaccent-stereotype

What do guys think? Personally, I think this Iggy bashing has gone way out of proportion. :shrug:

P.S. Sorry I don't know how to insert a Tweet pic here.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Iggy sis. :sis: u just doin' u.

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

RAMROD

It is clear that majority of hip hop community not welcoming her the way they did Eminem, cos of obvious reasons, what else to discuss?

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

I feel like Iggy is definitely not the main issue with cultural appropriation but she is a part of it.

She gets ways too much hate especially for someone that tried their hardest to get into the business and isn't trying to hurt anyone.

If she just like spoke about topics that relate to her genre and what she percieves as hip hop. If she just talked and raised awareness for black issues then it wouldn't feel like she is only using black appropriation as accessories (blaccent and twerking and rapping) to get famous.

Also, her album isn't that good at all and does not deserve a Grammy or even a grammy nod which is what most people have a real problem with, not her but the systematic racism shown by critics and the Grammy committee.

Mariah - Ariana - Rihanna

Good ****ing lord I'm tired of people talking negatively about her. I'm not a huge fan but it's one article after the other. Get the **** over it. 

Good ****ing lord I'm tired of people talking negatively about her. I'm not a huge fan but it's one article after the other. Get the **** over it. 

This for almost every thread about her. :madge:

Willy Wonka

She's incredible that she constantly deflects and never actually addresses the valid points made in criticisms.

Honestly, I hope people keep discussing her. She makes herself look worse every time she tries to respond. She doesn't get it and doesn't seem to be understanding the basis of the criticism at all.

For all the heat she's getting and all the time she's spending "defending herself", her next record be fire... and I'm talking Hardcore Kim fire.

There's nothing wrong with defending yourself, but if you're apart of Hip-Hop as a rapper, you truly need to detach your feelings from critics and fans who dislike you and constantly talk bad about you and bring it in the studio with your music. Apparently she doesn't understand that yet. Until then... it's going to be a crying game every single time she talks. Girl, you RAP, people will be coming for you every moment they can. Hip-Hop relies on "beefs" and "criticalness," that's what makes it so interesting. There's no fluffy pillow guaranteed for you... Ignore it and make better music, and maybe Rap fans will give you a chance.  :fail:

There are lots of artists who have different accents when they sing/rap  :shrug:

You don't deserve a point of view if the only thing you see is you.

In her reply she completely ignored the issue of she purposefully changes her accent to mimic black people's in her songs lmao just completely went right past the issue like she does every single time someone tries to point her actions out

Willy Wonka
There are lots of artists who have different accents when they sing/rap  :shrug:
ehhhhh. Authenticity is crucial in the hip-hop community. She came in as a white girl from Australia who takes on the stereotypical southern black person when she raps. Theres no physiological or linguistic reason that that would occur. It's a conscious choice on her part, and it's inauthentic to who she is. That doesn't go over well in the hip-hop community, especially when it intersects with race relations.

She's incredible that she constantly deflects and never actually addresses the valid points made in criticisms.

Honestly, I hope people keep discussing her. She makes herself look worse every time she tries to respond. She doesn't get it and doesn't seem to be understanding the basis of the criticism at all.

Archived