Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Taylor Swift trademarks 'This Sick Beat' and other '1989' phrases

Gianni Versace

Featured Posts

LOL! Made a joke about Taylor's love life and suddenly I'm a slut-shamer and misogynist. You don't know me, boo. I'm not the one. 

Really? Because you're the one who made the comment. I never said you were a slut-shamer or a mysogynist boo, I said your comment was. 

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prometheus

You need to stop there is a difference between owning writing in a body of work whether it be a poem or essay vs a phrase, half a phrase in my opinion that is so generic and very likely to be used together that it's ridiculous in my opinion... If she trademarked "I'm just gonna shake shake shake shake" then yeah these words paired together are very unique and very identifyable to Taylor Swift. It is not out of the realm of possibilities to use "this sick beat" for whatever reason by the common person and it is therefore not very unique to Taylor Swifts work to be trademarked. What she did is ridiculous and not comparable to the examples you provided

:thetea:

If you had read my earlier comments then you would know I agree her team chose some pretty generic phrases. Also, stop saying it was her. She probably didn't have a lot to do with it. I'm tired of this mentality that if gaga f--ks up then it's her team's fault but if another pop star makes a business move then it's their fault.

Redstreak

I like how you brought up her "humble" beginnings because a lot of people bring that up to spout their bullsh*t. Yes, she started out as a curly haired teenager her writes her songs, but now she's a superstar that writes her own songs. America saw Taylor grow up, and I'm starting to think that seeing her transformation is starting to hurt her image. Taylor isn't a teenager anymore, she grew up. 

You say she's "no longer relatable, stuck-up and money hungry," but those things could not be farther from the truth; She is still relatable through her music. Although her fan base can not relate to her being a super popstar they can still relate to what she writes about, and she writes them well. Even in a song like "Bad Blood," a song that is so clearly about something that happened in her own life, Taylor writes so that it can be relatable to her fans' lives and stuggles. 

You say Taylor is stuck-up, which again is not true. Every fan that has met Taylor through her T-Party or Club Red (her meet and greets after show) have said that she is one of the nicest people to walk on the earth. Almost every celebrity adores her, and Taylor adores her fans. How can someone that is stuck-up invite her fans to her home to listen to an album a month before, send her fans holiday gifts, and interact with her fans on tumblr? You may say that she is doing that for publicity, but if you actually believe that you are so far into YOU'RE delusion I see no way for you to ever get out. 

Finally, you say that Taylor is money hungry. Again, Taylor is pop music superstar, and at this point in the game, she has made her name a brand. Taylor didn't take her music out of spotify just because. She has said in previous interviews that she didn't believe that spotify payed enough money to the ARTISTS and that she believes that music, music that is not necessarily her own, should be viewed as ART and should hold value. Taylor didn't take her music out of spotify because they weren't paying HER enough, she took her music off of spotify because they weren't paying ARTISTS enough. She wanted to set a precedent, a precedent that I completely believe in. 

Now to the issue at hand, the trademarking. We don't even know if it was her idea to do it. Taylor isn't a one-women show, she has a team behind her that knows how to market. You say the lyrics HER TEAM chose to trademarked aren't groundbreaking, and you're right they aren't. Her team decided to trademark them because the people selling ILLEGAL merchandise outside of her venues are out of control. Her team wants to put a stop to illegal sellers, nothing more nothing less. 

It's cute that you eye rolled because that's exactly what I did when I read your slut-shaming and misogynistic comment.  :giggle:

Woo! Let me be your best friend  :worship2:

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

ThatSLAYGUY

The year is 2048 and every single phrase possible is owned by a pop diva

ready for the lyrics tax in a couple years  :lollipop:

TRILL MONSTER

Imagine she trademarks the number "1989" and we have to ask her for permission everytime we write down that number :smh:

Saint Laurent

Same reasoning why I can write a poem or novel and have it copyrighted.

That is different, it's a whole piece of work that could potentially be stollen. I can't trade mark the phrase "I love you" because I did not create it.

"This sick beat" is probably the most vulgar and ridiculous lyric ever. The beat of the song is not even sick. You know who's sick? Me. I'm sick of her and her basicness.

The year is 2048 and every single phrase possible is owned by a pop diva

ready for the lyrics tax in a couple years  :lollipop:

:rip:

Gianni Versace

"This sick beat" is probably the most vulgar and ridiculous lyric ever. The beat of the song is not even sick. You know who's sick? Me. I'm sick of her and her basicness.

"let's have some fun this beat is sick" :gum:

Elizabeth

I find this ridiculous. Unless it's literally an iconic phrase that you associate with Taylor Swift (which none of them are) then I don't see how she's got the permission to trademark them. 

Archived