Stefani Tee

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Publisher omits mentions of pork in books to not offend Muslims.

Featured Posts

Spyro

Authors are being warned not to mention pigs or sausages in children's schoolbooks - in an apparent bid to avoid offending Muslims and Jews.

Top academic publisher the Oxford University press has issued guidance that authors should avoid using pork-related words.

The move was revealed during a BBC discussion on free speech in the wake of the Paris terror attacks on satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Today Programme presenter Jim Naughtie, who is married to writer Eleanor Updale, said: "I've got a letter here which was sent out by Oxford University Press to an author doing something for young people.

"Among the things prohibited in the text that was commissioned by OUP was the following; 'Pigs (plus anything else which could be perceived as pork.'"

He added: "Now, if a respectable publisher tied to an academic institution is saying you've got to write a book in which you cannot mention pigs because some people might be offended, it's just ludicrous. It is just a joke."

The guidance was condemned by Muslim Labour MP Khalid Mahmood.

"That's ludicrous," he said. "That's absolute, utter nonsense and when people go too far that actually brings the whole discussion into disrepute."

The OUP defended the guidance by saying it needs to make its books available to the widest audience possible.

A spokesman told the Daily Mail: "Many of the educational materials we publish in the UK are sold in more than 150 countries, and as such they need to consider a range of cultural differences and sensitivities.

"Our editorial guidelines are intended to help ensure that the resources that we produce can be disseminated to the widest possible audience."

In a statement later, the company said: "OUP’s commitment to its mission of academic and educational excellence is absolute.

"Our materials are sold in nearly 200 countries, and as such, and without compromising our commitment in any way, we encourage some authors of educational materials respectfully to consider cultural differences and sensitivities.

"Guidelines for our educational materials differbetween geographies and do not cover our academic publishing."

Jewish leaders said their religion prohibits pork being eaten - not the mention of the word.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/top-publisher-bans-mentions-of-pigs-or-pork-so-as-not-to-offend-muslims-or-jews-9976568.html

Spyro the Dragon

Born Brave

I am sorry but people just shouldn't be so afraid to offend someone. If Gaga didn't do things out of fear of offending people she wouldn't be where she is now. 

RAMROD

What bollocks?

If that book released

in Muslim countries and

that local editions

being censored, I can understand.

But to censored it altogether, B.S.!!!

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Until ♥ It ♥ Burns ♥ Out ♥

Bear

Not to mention pigs? This is a stupid, and as insult to common sense, Muslims and non-Muslims.

It's not like Muslims deny pigs' existence or only mention their name in secret like they're Lord Voldemort or something.  :spin: Yes, they don't eat pork or like pigs because they believe they are filthy, but they are aware that pigs do live and people do eat them. To mentally erase pigs from Children's book is just ignorant to everyone.  

Fizzy

Not to mention pigs? This is a stupid, and as insult to common sense, Muslims and non-Muslims.

It's not like Muslims deny pigs' existence or only mention their name in secret like they're Lord Voldemort or something. :spin: Yes, they don't eat pork or like pigs because they believe they are filthy, but they are aware that pigs do live and people do eat them. To mentally erase pigs from Children's book is just ignorant to everyone.

This. I am a Muslim but this is just stupid.

CannaeDrive

no jokes if i see one person commending this i am chopping my own head off

I would eat your head if it's as edible as bacon  /jk

But yeah, so much stupidity.

Algorithm, the beat.

Luiz

i wonder how important pigs are to education. i remember nutrition class saying something about pigs but thats about it.

i really need to take a science class again :spin:

I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.

MahoganySnitch

I was going to ask why Jews weren't included in the title (As they were also part of the reason for omission) but I realized it wouldn't fit in the title.

Goosey

Swine

Hog

Ham

Pork

Salami

Bratwurst

Pepperoni

Oinker

Bacon

Sow

Boar

Sausage

Hot Dog

Piglet

Porker

Bologna

Frankfurter

Sufficiently offended? :rip:

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

Goosey

This. I am a Muslim but this is just stupid.

You are?!

A question, how come Muslim and Jew still don't eat pork? Because Christians have some rules too, for example in the Bible, "thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed; neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee"

But those are outdated so no one has followed them for millenia. Pork these days is just as safe to eat as other meats. Beef and other meats aren't perfect either, look at mad cow disease or CWD. We already learned to prevent trichinosis in pork populations long time ago.

So it seems like an outdated rule that should be relaxed for the 21st century to me :huh:

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

LoyalMonster

How incredibly politically correct.Cant stand that crap.

Valextra

This is at the same level of ABSURDITY, of the ones that DEMAND to take off from public places the crucifix, Xmas three, Nativity scene, ecc.

Those people need to accept the culture of the country where they move to and live.

It's absurd and insane.

TheOriginalOne

How incredibly politically correct.Cant stand that crap.

YOU DONT LIKE BACON?!?!?!?!

tumblr_inline_mqsbnh5Wtv1qz4rgp.gif