💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Nicki Minaj shares "Why Grammys are as white as you think" article

Yanko

Featured Posts

ugh you need to realise there are some places where white male voices are not appropriate. get over yourself.

If you believe that white people are the problem in this situation, then would you not also think that they should take part in the conversation, in order to understand the issue, and then help to resolve it.  What you're suggesting only allows for minorities to talk amongst themselves about the problem, without ever resolving anything.  If white people are the problem (as you're suggesting) then they must be included in correcting the problem, otherwise just talking about it is both one way, and pointless. What you're suggesting is like complaining to your friend about an unfair grade a teacher gave you, but never going to the teacher to get it corrected. It lacks logic. 

I know. I'm trying to express something about perspective and what good or quality music even means. 

I definitely agree that music is subjective, and that everyone should listen to and enjoy whatever music makes them happiest. 

We're all Stronger Together!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

black people, and most people of color, are still often treated like second class citizens by white americans. america has so many issues with racism. 

you're an absolute joke conflating de juro racism with de facto racism. like really? you think desegregation just made all racism in america disappear? really?

"well after segregation" hahahaha like really in '71 is when they said it's fine to bus black kids into white schools to achieve integration

I'm just saying it's Lauryn's attitude, not evil whitey, that ruined her career.

There have been white leftists like you preaching white guilt and black victimhood for over 40 years now, and it doesn't seem to be making anything better in terms of mutual understanding. (It just makes most whites not want to discuss racial issues and get yelled at.)

you're going to tell me that the effects of centuries of racism don't affect today? really?

I can see the connection for blacks born in poverty, in deprived areas.

It's another matter when a privileged, talented woman allows history to embitter her.

Willy Wonka

I'm just saying it's Lauryn's attitude, not evil whitey, that ruined her career.

There having been white leftists like you preaching white guilt and black victimhood for over 40 years now, and it doesn't seem to be making anything better in terms of mutual understanding. (It just makes most whites not want to discuss racial issues and get yelled at.)

She never blamed "evil whitey". What are you on?

I don't preach white guilt at all. Nor black victimhood. I don't feel guilty whatsoever. I had nothing to do with it. But me having nothing to do with it doesn't mean it was right. But you can't enslave, segregate, oppress, etc. an entire race for hundreds of years and expect for there to be no residual effects in society. There's this huge mentality in America that if de juro racism doesn't exist, then de facto racism doesn't exist. Little to nothing was ever done to actually combat the effects that hundreds of years of racism had on the black community. White people tried to move on and distance themselves from it while black people were basically left starting at square one. We ****ed over a race and then provided no compensation or even help to try and raise them back up.

White people don't want to talk about racial issues because they don't want to acknowledge the impact racism still has on society. White people don't want to acknowledge their complicitity with the racism that still exists in American society and American legal institutions. 

Tell me how pretending racism doesn't exist goes over while men who randomly happen to be black keep getting killed by police who happen to be white and happen to be trigger happy.

While a black woman received 20 years in jail for firing a warning shot when her husband was trying to kill her.

Yes, it is I who acknowledge America isn't fair who is creating problems. Meanwhile, you try and use fake ass quotes to call someone a black bigot, you refuse to admit you're wrong, you try and use undiagnosed mental illnesses as a personal attack against someone you don't know, and then tie it up with a cute bow of she has a victim mentality because she's black. 

Typical white conservative who refuses to acknowledge the power structure is unfair since he benefits from it.

1. There's this huge mentality in America that if de juro racism doesn't exist, then de facto racism doesn't exist.

2. Little to nothing was ever done to actually combat the effects that hundreds of years of racism had on the black community.

1. Racism, does exist, but it's weaker now and more of a two way street (since often inflicted by individuals), and whites also bear the burden of remedies for racism like affirmation action and being lectured about their privilege (usually by whites more privileged than themselves).

2. Requires economic remedies. Which will never happen as long as black and white working class are divided over race. But liberals seem to be alienating the latter into the Republican camp.

and then tie it up with a cute bow of she has a victim mentality because she's black.

My issue about victim mentality comes from personal experience (which had nothing to do with another race).

I know the type, and I know you should run the hell away from them. It's more dangerous when they cloak it is some social justice -ism, because some folks will buy their BS because it's for JUSTICE.

Gaga Ate My Ass

Craig sis arent you asian?! :giveup: Why are you in every white thread discussion defending the double standards? You're a person of color. Be proud of yourself sis :giveup:

GagaMyBlood95

I think she is pressed tbh...

Just wait and maybe it'll happen. Just look at Katy :fan:

The article makes so many fallacious and misleading points. :smh: Commercial hip-hop and rap is TRASH. Most of it is not grammy-worthy, especially the likes of Nicki Minaj's singles catalog. There are pleny of urban artists who are deserving of grammys, but we all know Grammys are often times about commercial success and recognizability. 

Yes, there are a lot injustices committed against the black community. It's systematic and must be dismantled. 

No, Grammy recognition is not one of the problems. In fact, the black community is over-represented in grammy recognition and the music industry in general. I don't really care about any of that... it doesn't affect me personally, but let's get some **** straight. African-americans comprise 13% of the population, not 30%. Not 50%. Niche markets, i.e. urban music... i.e. country... i.e. heavy metal rock, are awarded as such. 

Hispanic Americans make up a larger percentage of the US population, yet they are virtually ignored by all of pop culture. From music to television and film. And this article is focusing on black """"underrepresentation?"""" Give me a break.

VforVendetta

I just read the article and it's as ingorant as Minaj herself. 

Inb4 she wants a Grammy for Anacoda.

Of course there is still a lot of racism in the world but there is no issue with the Grammys when it comes to racism and it has been proven many times in the past.

NewYorkCity

Remember when she tried to convince people she was a super white pop star with those RedOne tracks? Yep, me too.

:tea:

Nothing more to add.

Well, yes, she's just pressed.

As a white man a protest against the Black Music Awards (USA) as well as against the MOBO awards (UK). This is fuc*ing racist!

You know, I've never in my entire life had a problem with a black person. Not only that but I have many black friends, however this constant complaining is very, very annoying. There are some things out there, that are traditional to one or other ethnic group. Music is one of these things. On the same stupid basis of racism, I can ask why 99% of rap and R&B artists are black...this is racist!!! The same way I can say, why are 99% of the opera singers are white... This is racist. NO! It's not racist, it's different culture. As a white man I've never liked rap music. I can't connect to it, however for a black person this could be a choice of preference. This is not racist, it's just another culture. You can't expect all races and all people to be equally interested in all types of music. That's why in some genres whites are majority, in other styles - blacks. Now, let's complain that there are not enough white people in gospel choirs, or white/black people on the Kpop and Jpop scene. 

Today, racism is a very often and convenient excuse for almost everything. Of course black people aren't 100% equal to white people these days and this is very unfortunate, but I strongly believe that black people are also responsible for this situation. 

PS: I c'mon...Grammy for Nicki Minaj..she can't sing, she barely raps..and her lyrics are just disgusting. 

If you believe that white people are the problem in this situation, then would you not also think that they should take part in the conversation, in order to understand the issue, and then help to resolve it.  What you're suggesting only allows for minorities to talk amongst themselves about the problem, without ever resolving anything.  If white people are the problem (as you're suggesting) then they must be included in correcting the problem, otherwise just talking about it is both one way, and pointless. What you're suggesting is like complaining to your friend about an unfair grade a teacher gave you, but never going to the teacher to get it corrected. It lacks logic. 

I definitely agree that music is subjective, and that everyone should listen to and enjoy whatever music makes them happiest. 

what makes you think that POC are unable to "resolve anything"? i'm not suggesting that white people should not have conversations about racism and how we can be allies to POC, i simply said that white people have no place in conversations about this topic. white people don't get to decide what is and is not a "race issue".

Your view is very counter productive.

I don't know if you're aware of history but every fight for equality only picks up real steam in bringing change when those who are part of the oppression begin to fight for change too. If it wasn't for men wanting women to get the vote, women would not have got the vote. If it wasn't for the whites wanting more equality for the blacks, the blacks would not be viewed as equal as they are today.

I'm going to assume you're a white, gay, male? If it wasn't for straight people accepting and then helping us fight for more rights, we would have not got as far as we have today. We don't sign off homophobia as "gay problems" ... we expect the world to know better now.

This is liberal propaganda... men only gave women the vote under intense pressure. see http://www.thesuffragettes.org/history/militant-suffragettes/

Frustration in the movement led to the adoption of policies of increasingly violent action directed against property with women disrupting parliament, chaining themselves to railings, smashing windows, setting fire to pillar boxes, burning down public buildings and the (unoccupied) homes of politicians. Suffragettes sought arrest and many went on hunger strike in prison to campaign against their classification as criminals rather than political prisoners. Such actions sought to dramatise and attract attention to the Cause where peaceful actions had been disregarded. The Government response was increasingly violent with the introduction of forced feeding for hunger strikers and of measures like the ‘Cat and Mouse’ Act allowing re-arrest of those freed on health grounds.

With regards to gay rights... the stonewall riots? lol. The dominant culture wants you to believe that violence in political movements is ineffective so that participants in things like the Ferguson riots can be demonised.

It's so offensive to suggest that the oppressor classes are responsible for the freedoms that oppressed classes have gained. It was the oppressed who gave their lives to the fights for liberation, not the oppressors. Also, why are you talking as if whites, POC, straights, gays, men, women are all on an equal playing field now?  :wtf:

Archived