Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Spin: Gwen Stefani Never Planned to Return to Her Solo Career

Valextra

Featured Posts

From the new SPIN Magazine interview. Gwen talks about the rushed recording process for her upcoming album, and the reuniting with Pharrell. In the full interview, she also talks collaborations with Charli XCX, Calvin Harris, and the future of No Doubt.

141205-gwen-stefani.jpg

Was Pharrell bringing you out at Coachella the impetus for your return to solo music? What was it about right now for you that felt right for a return?

That's a really good question. To be honest, I had no intention to ever do another solo record. I was in the studio with No Doubt after our last record. That last session we had was with Pharrell, and then I got pregnant unexpectedly, like a teenager. I got very sick, so everything stopped.

That was good though, because I needed that time to enter my cocoon and blossom into my next chapter. Before that, we were in the studio experimenting with a lot of different people. It was OK; there were certain times when we were so great, and there were other times where it felt like so much effort, so it was good timing to say, "Let's take a break on this."

Only four or five weeks after I had the baby, they called me to do The Voice. I was never expecting to do that, but when the opportunity came along, I was also itching to do new music. I didn't even care if it was hopping on someone else's song, I just knew that I couldn't keep being the "Hollaback Girl." Something new had to happen, and there was no way to do a No Doubt record in that short amount of time, because the way we write, it takes a long time. At first I was like, "Oh, I'll just put out a record! Let's do it!" But now I'm like, "Wait a minute." I feel like I was getting rushed by doing The Voice and trying to put the record out and having a new baby and doing No Doubt shows. It was just a lot to handle at one time, so I'm still working on the music and I think the only way to do it right now, with everything going on in my life, is to collaborate. Some of the best thing I've ever done  things I think are my favorite  are the collaborations.

Maybe then I'll go back and do some No Doubt stuff. I feel like I'm in a time period where I can't predict what's gonna happen. I feel really happy to have something new out. It's scary, too, because now everybody has such access to you and you have access to what everyone thinks of you, and I really didn't really grow up that way.

http://youtu.be/c4lRINPVF50

http://www.spin.com/articles/gwen-stefani-interview-spark-the-fire-solo-no-doubt/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

This explain a lot about this comeback, and it was pretty clear from the beginning.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
inuborg

Sometimes its best to follow your first mind.

I loved L.A.M.B. and Sweet Escape was good too....but this new stuff is..... :awkney: 

I root for you. I love you. You, you, you, you.

Hellspont

So she's doing this because its slightly easier than putting our better music with No Doubt? :rip:

Gwen....... focus on making a good No Doubt album :rip:

Monster2015

aww  :emo:

This will be her greatest song ever tho:

http://youtu.be/f5qICl3Fr3w

and

http://youtu.be/gZHjRQjbHrE

You can kinda tell tbh and it's really sad. I grew up listening to her and LAMB remains one of the best pop albums ever imo. She could've made a really great album... A shame :(

You can kinda tell tbh and it's really sad. I grew up listening to her and LAMB remains one of the best pop albums ever imo. She could've made a really great album... A shame :(

agreed what a blip

SychosSoChic

Baby Don't Lie was and is, my jam.

However...

This Spark The Fire atrocity is the kind of abomination filler that plagues every amazing album.

I'm not saying I hate it, because I can already feel it growing on me, but unlike Froot which grew on me like an investment that made me millions, it's growing on me like...Mould.

I get that the girl didn't exactly think everything through and really just wanted to release some new music coz she's sick of being seen as the woman who made "Holdback Girl", but that's gonna take time, and we all know the girl is capable. I also hope she continues to do more solo work, coz I honestly prefer her solo to No Doubt.

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

Batwings

I actually liked Baby Don't Lie, but Spark the Fire is a travesty, especially when I know she's capable of making something as good as L.A.M.B.

hookerfreak

I'm shocked people like Baby Don't Lie and not Spark The Fire, as Spark The Fire is one of my favourite pop songs to come around in a long time. Baby Don't Lie doesn't seem like a 'Gwen' song at all, it could easily have been written for anyone (that's Ryan Tedder for you) but it's clear Gwen and Pharrell truly collaborated on Spark The Fire. Just a shame that her heart's not really in it, as it really shows.

Archived