Featured Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDhyHn7BYI4

I love this version. :party:

she sounds out of breath throughout the whole performance...  :air:

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiona Apple

What specifically? That she can't sing that well, that her inspirations are be close to copying or her music is quite middle of the road? I can be harsh at times, I admit, and this was me being quite nice, really! I've been really tough on albums lately, so I didn't expect this one to be ranked decently, actually. I just have very high standards when it comes to music as I care about it too much to accept mediocraty. I've been finding albums by female artists such a letdown recently which sucks because they always used to be my favourites. I long for the times when high quality pop music was made throughout an entire album and wasn't just a handful of good tracks alongiside 75% filler.

Sorry I don't know if you've heard old pop albums..But pop has always been this way..Most albums always had a couple of good songs and a lot of fillers. Every decade has great albums,ok albums and bad albums..Nothing changed 

Whispering

she sounds out of breath throughout the whole performance...  :air:

It sure isn't because she is moving too much! :teehee:

Breathe support doesn't seem to be one of her strengths.

StrawberryBlond

I think she can actually sing pretty well for a new comer and she has a ton of musical experience and training that not even some of the "regulars" of modern pop music have, as well as technical skills and a great ear--the latter of which is even harder to come by. Her music isn't vocally "challenging" most of the time (though the runs may be for some people) but its a bit more show-offy than some other pop stars I can think of recently :awkney: Her harmonies and background vocals are really impressive and creative as far as a "predictable" progression/counter goes. She's also just about as good live as she is on studio and gives a lot of character and personality to her performances, all while doing some light dancing. I just think shes actually really quite talented. I can understand the music actually feeling lukewarm to people though, its pretty "hate-love" though i definitely think that -public perception of her as "boring" is clouding a lot of people from recognizing her talents.

About her lyrics and "inspiration", as I recall these songs weren't written for a specific purpose of being on her debut album, but rather her label decided to let her record them and let her re-do them because tehy decided to take a chance on her after AATB soared and did so well... So while its a very "Meghan' album, I feel like her lyrical talent is probably more vast topic wise... so its like these songs have been in existence (a long with a TON of others shes written and semi-recorded) for a bit and were brought back to life for the most part.

I don't really see her music to be close to copying... It's hard for me to say that because we don't know what her inspiration is sonically, her stance on electronic music versus organic music... why she likes the doo-wop feel, etc. other than the fact that she is from Nantucket and loves it to death. I think my only qualm about the album is that it can be a bit "samey" but I wasn't expecting a sonically mature album from her, giving that its her first and because of "All about that Bass" and "Lips are Movin" :laughga:

I also don't find it samey enough that I can't tell tracks apart... there is still some differentiation going on, even amongst similar songs like "All About That Bass" "Lips are Movin" "Dear Future Husband" and "Walkashame"

I can kinda see your point watching her live performances. I guess I've never heard her performing bad, so that's something in her favour. I'd prefer someone who knows what their voice is capable of as opposed to someone who pushes it too far. She is probably one of the better female pop singers around at the moment, I suppose.

I wondered if these songs were thrown together last minute to make an album, as I have the feeling that she was just being tried out when she released AATB, but was more successful than predicted, so it was decided that she needed a full length debut. Seeing as there aren't lots of songs and they're all very short, it gives the impression of a rush release. I didn't think it made sense that she released an EP if she was going to release an album very shortly afterwards with all the same songs on it (most EP tracks don't make an album at all and at a push, it's just one or two). She also released 2 other songs from the EP but neither were successful, so they were just swept under the rug and Lips Are Movin' was hailed as the "proper" second single from the upcoming album. I think it was an odd way of going about it. If AATB hadn't been such a hit, she'd probably not be releasing an album until 2016, like most artists that make their name with an EP. Nowadays, EPs are normally used to launch an artist that the label fears may be a risk. That way, if their songs aren't big hits, there hasn't been money wasted on recording a full-length album that won't sell.

I just think it's suspicious when an artist makes a song that sounds very similar to a recent big hit. A lot of people have picked up on the fact that some new songs out there seemed to mimic similar sounds to Talk Dirty's trumpet beat (Problem, especially) perhaps in the hope of recreating similar success. Then there's the whole resurgance of the disco sound after Get Lucky and Blurred Lines were such hits. It's a common trick in the industry: see a trend and jump on it. And some of her songs seem to have that unfortunate element. I'm surprised that some people haven't actually compared her style to that of Ariana Grande's, to be honest (though it's more of her debut album's sound). They both make an old school sound, make music that no one else is making right now, they both rely on a cute image. The album is a bit samey, but it's cohesive, which at least proves that she knows who she is and is a solid identity. I don't really like it when an new artist comes along with a great, original song with lots of personality, and then the rest of their album is bland stuff with no identity that sounds just like what everyone else makes. I would have been disappointed if Meghan's music didn't follow the doo-wop thing she set down in AATB, actually.

can we stop quoting the troll

just report it every chance u get and hell be banned soon

tumblr_n0anmuqDe81rcxt82o4_250.gif

Please tell me you're not talking about me. Since I've been the only one that's been a bit negative and has been indepth with my posts, I assume it is me you're referring to. If so, I don't get it. I gave her album 3/5 and have complimented her and been honest but fair. A troll isn't someone who simply says something you don't like.

Please tell me you're not talking about me. Since I've been the only one that's been a bit negative and has been indepth with my posts, I assume it is me you're referring to. If so, I don't get it. I gave her album 3/5 and have complimented her and been honest but fair. A troll isn't someone who simply says something you don't like.

no not you 

Gypsy Life

I can kinda see your point watching her live performances. I guess I've never heard her performing bad, so that's something in her favour. I'd prefer someone who knows what their voice is capable of as opposed to someone who pushes it too far. She is probably one of the better female pop singers around at the moment, I suppose.

I wondered if these songs were thrown together last minute to make an album, as I have the feeling that she was just being tried out when she released AATB, but was more successful than predicted, so it was decided that she needed a full length debut. Seeing as there aren't lots of songs and they're all very short, it gives the impression of a rush release. I didn't think it made sense that she released an EP if she was going to release an album very shortly afterwards with all the same songs on it (most EP tracks don't make an album at all and at a push, it's just one or two). She also released 2 other songs from the EP but neither were successful, so they were just swept under the rug and Lips Are Movin' was hailed as the "proper" second single from the upcoming album. I think it was an odd way of going about it. If AATB hadn't been such a hit, she'd probably not be releasing an album until 2016, like most artists that make their name with an EP. Nowadays, EPs are normally used to launch an artist that the label fears may be a risk. That way, if their songs aren't big hits, there hasn't been money wasted on recording a full-length album that won't sell.

I just think it's suspicious when an artist makes a song that sounds very similar to a recent big hit. A lot of people have picked up on the fact that some new songs out there seemed to mimic similar sounds to Talk Dirty's trumpet beat (Problem, especially) perhaps in the hope of recreating similar success. Then there's the whole resurgance of the disco sound after Get Lucky and Blurred Lines were such hits. It's a common trick in the industry: see a trend and jump on it. And some of her songs seem to have that unfortunate element. I'm surprised that some people haven't actually compared her style to that of Ariana Grande's, to be honest (though it's more of her debut album's sound). They both make an old school sound, make music that no one else is making right now, they both rely on a cute image. The album is a bit samey, but it's cohesive, which at least proves that she knows who she is and is a solid identity. I don't really like it when an new artist comes along with a great, original song with lots of personality, and then the rest of their album is bland stuff with no identity that sounds just like what everyone else makes. I would have been disappointed if Meghan's music didn't follow the doo-wop thing she set down in AATB, actually.

He's talking about BringDaNoize, not you.

By the way, speaking of the points you made above, I don't know if you know that, but yeah you're right, Title was recorded mostly after AATB took off. Bass was initially a free song until the video went viral and they released it on iTunes, so its success wasn't expected at all. However, some of the songs on the album already existed before Bass, because she's initially both a songwriter and a producer, so it wasn't really rushed. But infact, they made the right decision with releasing the album early and didn't let all the hype die (as opposed to Carly Rae who waited a year to release an album) and it paid off.

Speaking of the EP, what do you mean by she released 2 songs and they didn't succeed? Where did you get that from? I mean yes, Title was announced as a single at one point, then was switched for Dear Future Husband, then again switched for Lips, but the first 2 were never serviced as singles. However, DFH is already Gold now and Title is 100k away from gold, so they'd have succeeded if released in Lips' place anyway.

AbuHassan1992

when I first heard all about that bass I wrote her off as a one hit wonder viral hit thing, but I actually have faith in her now. Not particulary a fan, but I'm starting to respect her as an artist. Kind of reminds me of early Gaga, how everything seems to happen perfectly

PicklePower

I wonder if the lead single for Meghan's second album will be released late this year? I'm guessing she's going to be releasing an album in Q1 or early Q2 of next year.

MEGHAN TRAINOR | Katy Perry | Taylor Swift | Lady Gaga | Rihanna | Ariana Grande | Beyoncé | Nicki Minaj | Sam Smith

PicklePower

We need some more 80+ reviews.

MEGHAN TRAINOR | Katy Perry | Taylor Swift | Lady Gaga | Rihanna | Ariana Grande | Beyoncé | Nicki Minaj | Sam Smith

Redstreak

Why is score 62 if average is 58,6?

Some reviews count more than others.

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Archived