💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

My art teachers HATE lady gaga

Sam Dey

Featured Posts

Go tell them all the meat people are eating is actually more ecologically damaging (currently) than one single rocket "going into space." Mind you, I don't think Gaga is actually going to go into outer space; she'll likely stay in NEO (Near Earth Orbit), similar to the ISS.

Either way, they sound like a couple of pretentious artsy fartsy folk. What kind of teachers are these? Teachers are supposed to foster growth; how are they supposed to have that relationship with their students when they're explosively subjective and aggressive when it's not necessary (as in hearing their student's inspirations!). I'm disgusted! Where do you go? 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PopReaper

Hate to say it but to an art school, Lady Gaga probably represents a very shallow understanding of "high" art.

I'm not saying she's not creative - because she is - but her work isn't the most fertile for discussion in terms of subtext or multiple interpretations. There's occasional imagery that has some symbolic meaning, but it's quite hamfisted and often riffs on cliches and other artists' work. (ie: did somebody say "pop culture"? let me put on a Marilyn Monroe wig. also, the cage represents being trapped. wow. edgy.)

As well, most of what you see in Gaga videos is the cumulative effect of directors, choreographers, makeup artists, hair stylists, fashion designers, production designers, photographers, set designers ... creative people that are often namelessly giving their work to be shown under the banner of LADY GAGA. To an extent, she is the one who makes it happen, with a spark of an idea, a song, or an inspiration. But the brunt of the creative process for her visual work is not done by her.

I'm saying this as someone who is a huge fan of Gaga, and also an avid visual art student. Gaga is a pop singer - a very creative one, but a pop singer. She is a celebrity. She says "**** you pop music" but she is still subject to its machinations. Arguably, she is an artist, but her primary art form is her music - songwriting and vocal abilities. If you were an aspiring singer, then she would be a tremendous inspiration.

For a visual art student, you should (I'm not saying you must, but I recommend it) find an inspiration who is a more well-accepted member of the art community. Rachel Whiteread, Tracey Emin, Hannah Höch, Frida Kahlo -- all fantastic artists who have a wide variety of works that can be dissected, discussed and a--lysed on their merits as individual creations.

I hope this hasn't been too harsh.

^this

Fun Fact: The K in KPop stands for "Kate Bush"

TheAlienatedNYC

what my teachers like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgOTZH_Pfg

what my friends like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okDHsSc2ypc

im the only person in my class that knows to speak english + not even my english teacher knows, its the verb to be YEAR AFTER YEAR
:toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:

ThisGuyTony

I thought art schools encouraged creativity. :koons:

Your answer is unique but maybe they wanted you to talk about an artist who paints and draws. :koons:

TheOriginalOne

What kind of teachers are those?! :wtf:

If you fail for liking Gaga then they need to be reported. And they seem ignorant and unknowing of Gaga's awesomeness, their loss.

Shame on them for hating on Gaga but if you wanted to enter an art school, you really shoul've come up with a better answer.

I'm not saying Gaga is not an artist, of course she is in every sense of the word, but it's easy to know that's not the type of answer these stuck-up art school people are expecting!

PREACH! Preach, I say!

As someone who has a master's degree in art, has taught adjunct university classes and has worked in the field for over a decade -- unfortunately one form of art one must learn to master in art and higher education is the art of bovine excrement.

Or maybe I'm just incredibly cynical.  :toofunny:

All my art teachers at college praise her and use her as an example of a contemporary pop artist who is an icon of our times.

Don't be pressed because it's obvious your teachers are stuck in the past. 

Sounds like a good school.  OP's school sounds like wrong school, wrong teachers.  They could be so called teachers only there for a paycheck and biding their time until retirement. 

I thought art schools encouraged creativity. :koons:

This.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Morphine Prince

If they fail you because of this go up to them and be like "I guess sir, if you say so. Some of us just like to read." and walk out with your head up high and report their snobby assess to the school board or whatever. 

Archived