Die With A Smile Music Video Banner

Max Martin Scores 18th #1 as a writer, #16th as a producer

craig

Featured Posts

hence a genius. his songs, like it or not, will stand the test of time in pop history.
He's not a ****ing genius lol. He's not innovative and certainly doesn't display an exceptional amount of intelligence. That's a disgrace to the word.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gov Hooka

He's not a ****ing genius lol. He's not innovative and certainly doesn't display an exceptional amount of intelligence. That's a disgrace to the word.

:staymad:

Sugarfall

the absolute irony

Well sorry for my bad English :awkney:

And I really do think that he is a great producer

Oh and by the way he's not a genius at all, just a good business man who can cater to the masses.

For one to become the most successful songwriter in pop music history, without ever being the singer, he must then be a genius in his own right. Max Martin's the only songwriter who has written/co-written for others at least one #1 hit in three consecutive decades. He literally made the late 1990s teen pop sound w/ Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and even opened the door for other producers and songwriters like Dr. Luke to top the mainstream by the mid/late 2000s. He's basically a star-maker whose list of clients testifies on how great he is in coming up with good-to-great pop songs in the past 17 years or so.

His critics say his works are 'basic', and yet among all the songwriters in the world, all these years, he's still among the top sought-after from a wide range of artists and mainstays of Mainstream Top 40 radio. If it's so easy to write pop gems, then the world should have thousands of known and sought-after songwriters by now, other than Max Martin and his team. The fact that his music is being branded as "generic" already solidifies the status of his music as an industry standard within pop music. That alone is a working of a genius to me. Because if he's not, his name should have been long dropped from the top of the pop stars' list of most preferred producers/songwriters.  

For one to become the most successful songwriter in pop music history, without ever being the singer, he must then be a genius in his own right. Max Martin's the only songwriter who has written/co-written for others at least one #1 hit in three consecutive decades. He literally made the late 1990s teen pop sound w/ Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and even opened the door for other producers and songwriters like Dr. Luke to top the mainstream by the mid/late 2000s. He's basically a star-maker whose list of clients testifies on how great he is in coming up with good-to-great pop songs in the past 17 years or so.

His critics say his works are 'basic', and yet among all the songwriters in the world, all these years, he's still among the top sought-after from a wide range of artists and mainstays of Mainstream Top 40 radio. If it's so easy to write pop gems, then the world should have thousands of known and sought-after songwriters by now, other than Max Martin and his team. The fact that his music is being branded as "generic" already solidifies the status of his music as an industry standard within pop music. That alone is a working of a genius to me. Because if he's not, his name should have been long dropped from the top of the pop stars' list of most preferred producers/songwriters.

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality,

He may be massively successful and influential, but I refuse to call him a genius just because of what he has achieved.

A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality,

He may be massively successful and influential, but I refuse to call him a genius just because of what he has achieved.

Exceptional songwriting ability. The guy has been awarded 7 times by ASCAP for "Songwriter of the Year". If his songwriting is so mediocre and nowhere near "exceptional", he wouldn't be this successful and influential all these years. As for creativity and originality, he's partly responsible for the revival of teen pop / bubblegum pop in the late 1990s and then pop/rock in the mid-to-late 2000s. I would call his music as original because I haven't heard his songwriting style before his rise in the late 1990s. Like the OP said, it's easy to detect which music is written or produced by Max Martin and/or his team these days. And it's likely because he has successfully left his own mark in pop music. 

If it's so easy to write pop gems, then the world should have thousands of known and sought-after songwriters by now, other than Max Martin and his team. The fact that his music is being branded as "generic" already solidifies the status of his music as an industry standard within pop music.

Very true. Before something becomes "generic" someone has to invent the style and make it popular. There is no eternal safe formula for pop success.

The sound of BOMT in 1999 and I Kissed a Girl in 2008 was very fresh.

And these are just the number 1's. He's achieved an insane level of success. While he's not going to be the critics' darling, there's no denying his ear and skill at crafting memorable pop gems.

Max Martin is for sure talented and good when it comes about Pop music.

His best works are the Britney ones for sure.

His problem lately is that he gave basically the same song to several singers, and it seems that they all have the same song this is why he became kind of basic, like it happened to RedOne after the success of 'Just Dance', 'Poker Face' and 'Bad Romance', and Timbaland before him. 

Babel

He's a great producer without a doubt and unstoppable I may add.

Dark Horse is nowhere to be "generic" at the moment, same as California Gurls, Teenage Dream or ET when they were released.

Juanjo

All those songs couldn't be any more commercial and cookie cutter. Good for him, though, he's doing his job right, writing for the GP and making money for labels. :)

Archived