💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Is there anything iconic/memorable about the ARTPOP era?

Bambino

Featured Posts

HausOfAntonio

I'm sorry but Seashell Girl is EASILY one of Gaga's most iconic looks. And the Applause single cover too.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are definitely memorable moments for fans, but nothing that's truly iconic for the general public

Sadly, this.

Judas Oyster

There are definitely memorable moments for fans, but nothing that's truly iconic for the general public

Benji

Not really, I mean the most obviously memorable part of the era is Swine at SXSW but she already done the whole getting puked on thing so I dunna.

Swinefest was great, I think that's my most iconic moment of the era :legend:

Prometheus

You might want to change your sig. We can't have gifs as sigs. *and I think that counts* I just don't want you to get in trouble.

On topic: I think her seashell girl/Aphrodite Lady outfit is memorable.

LadyCaligula

No, not every work of Jeff Koons is famous - or expensive. A lot of his work can be mass produced. That isn't the case for his Gaga statue. When you type "Koons" into Google, Applause lyrics and the ARTPOP cover featuring his sculpture are among the first results. It's certainly a notable collaboration.

Lady Gaga practicing the Abramovic method is also another notable event in the career of both Gaga and Marina. It was also discussed and buzzed about in art circles. 

​Her collaboration with Robert WIlson received mixed reviews but it was featured in The Louvre which is a big deal. Certainly for Gaga. That's a notable achievement in her career.

Nathan Sawaya created custom pieces for her G.U.Y video too. It seems to me like Gaga is going to keep pushing forward into the art world and eventually I think she is going to be accepted. I mean, Koons is kitsch and gaudy right? Warhol's work is junk. 

Critics can say what they want, and they may even be right, but when the history books examine art in this era it is Koons, Wilson, Marina and co who are going to come up. When people are looking at these artists, it is Gaga's name that is going to pop up at some point.

Gaga has had a lot of career highlights with this era, don't be deceived by her chart presence. There is a pop star in The Louvre and she is coming for blood.

I'm personally not a fan of the majority of Koons work but its certainly art. But I do find it overrated, the only works of his I like are the statues with the gazing balls. I prefer classical art so thats why I like the classical themed statues. (Well I like the juxtaposition of classic and modern in most things...) BUT TBH.. I am not sure why its such high art. For me, its the same as the plaster animal heads, deer, rhino, etc. that you can get almost anywhere now. A very similar concept. IDK Modern art is confusing especially if you aren't really into it. I like gaudy...

As for Warhol, I've always liked Warhol but the 'not a lot of effort' thing still is in the back of my head. When you see amazing works of art like the Birth of Venus or the Gates of Hell by Rodin or even a random art deco bronze statue... its a bit hard to see how a metallic balloon animal can be on that level...or above that level. It really has more to do with the modern way of life and hype than actual art. The wealth in the 80s is most likely partially to blame fo Koons success, people spending ridiculous amounts of money on such random things. IDK. Its not my taste and its just kinda contrived but IDK. Im sure you see what I mean. The Gaga statue is by far Koons best work... its a beautiful sculpture and thank God it was left solid white and unpainted.

FameHookah

SWINEfest - ARTPOP performance

SXSW - Swine performance & creative rebellion

Seashell Bikini look

Smeared makeup Applause look

This,

It's silly when people try to discredit her so bad on a damn fan forum ....

WTF is MDNA

Gaga has had a lot of career highlights with this era, don't be deceived by her chart presence. There is a pop star in The Louvre and she is coming for blood.

This is the best sentence I've read in this entire thread. :legend:

I'd like to consider her performance of Applause at the 2013 VMAs as 'iconic' in the sense of being memorable / would be memorable for a rather long period of time, especially amongst pop music pundits and followers. Why? It's her second time to open the VMAs and not all artists could have the bragging rights to say it. Second, the opening performances / moments at the VMAs are arguably the most memorable / iconic of the entire awards show's history - from the 1984 'Like A Virgin' performance of Madonna to the 1994 kiss of Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley to the 2003 performance of Madonna w/ the two pop princesses at that time to the 2007 performance of Britney Spears, and the list goes on and on. It's always hard to forget the one who opened the show, especially if they did something extraordinary.

The Applause performance was no ordinary performance. The theatrics, the recorded boos, the costume changes, everything about it are possibly the most memorable moment of ARTPOP for the watching public. It was her television 'comeback' for most people after the hip injury, and for me and for the rest of the fans who helped Applause stay within the top 10 of the HOT 100 after that performance, she didn't disappoint. 

I'd like to consider her performance of Applause at the 2013 VMAs as 'iconic' in the sense of being memorable / would be memorable for a rather long period of time, especially amongst pop music pundits and followers. Why? It's her second time to open the VMAs and not all artists could have the bragging rights to say it. Second, the opening performances / moments at the VMAs are arguably the most memorable / iconic of the entire awards show's history - from the 1984 'Like A Virgin' performance of Madonna to the 1994 kiss of Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley to the 2003 performance of Madonna w/ the two pop princesses at that time to the 2007 performance of Britney Spears, and the list goes on and on. It's always hard to forget the one who opened the show, especially if they did something extraordinary.

The Applause performance was no ordinary performance. The theatrics, the recorded boos, the costume changes, everything about it are possibly the most memorable moment of ARTPOP for the watching public. It was her television 'comeback' for most people after the hip injury, and for me and for the rest of the fans who helped Applause stay within the top 10 of the HOT 100 after that performance, she didn't disappoint. 

I agree 100%. I've seen tons of videos on YouTube of that performance being recreated already.

RodeckDanny

Gaga and Xtina, the artrave stage. 

Listen to my debut pop single 'Want You Bad'! (link on Insta)

Archived