💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP and the end of Lady Gaga

Karandr

Featured Posts

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That gives me a whole different view :giveup: What if Gaga wanted to flop this era so she slays the next one? 

People were saying that during the Born This Way era. It's not true.

Didn't she tell a fan backstage that after Cheek to Cheek she wants to put out her best material to date?

Can you give me a link for that? That's really interesting. I want to read the full thing.

StefJAGermanotta

Thanks OP @karandr for this very stimulating topic!  Knowing Gaga, she would never intentionally flop--she always wants to be a huge success and #1--she works very hard for it and is deeply appreciative.

She truly wanted AP to be her Phoenix out of the ashes of BTW, as she kept using that metaphor over and over again, and she really thought it would smash, but since it didn't, I think that hit home.  As a result, she is recognizing how fleeting the pop world is, and that you can't control your popularity and fame, so I think she wants to put "bubble gum" pop behind her, and focus on more of a jazz/rock and roll/acoustic sound, which appears to be the music that she grew up on and loves the most?  I mean, in the Oprah Winfrey special at Gaga's home, there was a very prominent picture of Billie Holiday.

I mean, it seemed that she may have used pop music to get her name out and now that her so-called Imperial Phase is over and was not able to be revived by AP, she's ready for a new and different challenge?  So the pop music era is her beginning, and she's ready for a new era, starting with C2C?

Nah. C2C is just her way of going on hiatus without actually going on hiatus. She wanted to slay this ARTPOP era, it didn't happen because everyone turned against here. Her videos and statements were just in case she flopped because she is always prepared. She'll do pop again but right now she is taking a route that none of the basic b---hes like Katy Keene could ever copy or follow because it takes actual talent to make a jazz album with a jazz legend.

I just hope this fan base can handle her being in Jazz for a year or two. We'll see.

Bebe

1. She never said millenium.

2. She never said that herself.

3. Your confusing your albums.

4. Where even are your receipts? (She didn't say it bro)

5. And she may believe so. Problem with her having an opinion?

1. She did say millenium

2. She did say that herself.

3. It was about ARTPOP

4. You should really check these things out yourself before making lists trying to drag people

LiqS8cO.png

5. It was mostly tongue in cheek.

Karandr

Hate to toot my own horn (well, that's actually a lie, but anyway).. did Gaga just refer to herself as Lady in the tweet linking to Anything Goes?

Sure, might just be because that's what Tony calls her.. or mayyyybe this is a sign? She never calls herself Lady.

Coincidence? Illuminati?

G(4) A(2) G(4) A(2)

4 + 2 + 4 + 2 = 12

1 + 2 = 3

3 is one of Britney Spears' best songs

Britney collaboration confirmed for The Next One?

Raul Germanotta

I think the Gaga's biggest problem is the same thing I have often been guilty of. She's too self-conscious and worrying about herself and her image. Stuff like this line from Applause: "Pop culture was in art, now art's in pop culture in me".

She needs to lighten up and realize she's never going to be all things to all people. Pursue her art by pursuing those ideas that pull her chain the hardest.

AbuHassan1992

This sums up the whole situation, and is why every day I find myself liking Gaga less and less. And if you had told me this a year ago, I would never have believed you - Gaga really helped me to grow up and establish my identity, and I always pictured myself loving her forever. 

One of the things I have always admired about Gaga is her relentless work ethic. Her huge success is a direct result of the sheer amount of effort she put into her work. From the second I saw her walking around in plaid shirts and Dope beanies, I knew that Lady Gaga was over. She had maintained a mystique and an illusion for her entire career, her life according to her was a 'work of art'. The moment she actively chose to let that slide was the moment I knew this era would disappoint me. And as predicted, this laziness was soon reflected in the music, the tour, the videos, the fashion and even the promo. Back in the Born This Way era, it seemed like we had a new interview every other day, now we're lucky to get any at all. 

Gaga has lost her spark or her interest - or both. It feels now like she is only doing this to get a quick buck. And unfortunately for her, she has dug her own grave; her enigma and mystique is something she will never be able to retrieve. The second she chose to slack off, it was gone forever. 

wow this is pretty much how I feel

Quartz

I don't view it this way. I think that we are still seeing Lady Gaga (no change, mind you) but just her different facets. She has many sides and we have yet to see them,

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

• 1 month later...
Creyk

Thanks OP @karandr for this very stimulating topic!  Knowing Gaga, she would never intentionally flop--she always wants to be a huge success and #1--she works very hard for it and is deeply appreciative.

She truly wanted AP to be her Phoenix out of the ashes of BTW, as she kept using that metaphor over and over again, and she really thought it would smash, but since it didn't, I think that hit home.  As a result, she is recognizing how fleeting the pop world is, and that you can't control your popularity and fame, so I think she wants to put "bubble gum" pop behind her, and focus on more of a jazz/rock and roll/acoustic sound, which appears to be the music that she grew up on and loves the most?  I mean, in the Oprah Winfrey special at Gaga's home, there was a very prominent picture of Billie Holiday.

I mean, it seemed that she may have used pop music to get her name out and now that her so-called Imperial Phase is over and was not able to be revived by AP, she's ready for a new and different challenge?  So the pop music era is her beginning, and she's ready for a new era, starting with C2C?

Not exactly, she just can't endure flopping and takes it really hard, her latest comments are very revealing about all of this actually.

She began changing when MTN flopped, she started being more insecure. (What you said in your comment is so true actually, this part: she really thought it would smash, but since it didn't, I think that hit home , this is true for MTN)

Now that she has a whole era of failure behind her (except for applause), she is under a lot of pressure to do better. She is escaping the pressure by doing jazz music, and that is why she is happier lately. She doesn't have to worry about disappointing her legions of fans again. Because she does read these sites, and I'm sure that she wants to read praise and hates that she doesn't get it, specially from us fans.

SpadesToStart

I'll be here for gaga no matter how much she changes. Your post was very interesting to read, and gave me a new look on ARTPOP.

"she wanted to flop"

:rip:

officially the most deluded thing i've ever read.

Our fanbase needs help, like it's not even funny anymore.

If she wanted to flop why did she hype up and promote the album, it isn't selling because it's her worst album and she's alienated herself from the real world, become swallowed by her own ego, and is now alienating her fans.

South Blonde

She needs to evolve as an artist and ARTPOP seems to be the right turning point in her career

Don't you think maybe they are the same thing? Love and attention?

What an interesting post, I enjoyed reading it very much :flutter:

Anyway, I have a few thing I'd like to point out:

About the Aura situation

The album version...What the **** is up with that? It's obviously weaker than the original "demo" we heard, which wasn't really a demo at all. If you know Gaga, you'd know she would never replace a song like Aura with a version of the song that sounded like the Album version.

It's tamer, weaker, lazier. And it's also an incredibly obvious sign of what happened to ARTPOP.

The reason she leaked it is absolutely obvious: because she wasn't allowed to put that version on the Album. She thought the song was great, but the label said it was probably too risky, violent, and aggressive, especially for the opening song, SO CHANGE IT. And Gaga didn't take it very well.

She lashed out by leaking the song because she REALLY wanted that song to be heard. And by that time the label obviously made her change it, now that she had leaked the original version. The edited version, the album Aura, is Gaga mocking the industry, talking like she's drunk, sedated; like a puppet faking a sweet voice. That's how she wanted to sound, because she wanted to get the point accross. That's why Aura was leaked, and that's why the Album version sounds like that. Gaga wanted to sound drunk and boring, anticlimatic and weird, as a vengeance.

About the end of the beginning of her carreer

The Aura situation is eerily indicative of what's about to come: an album where Gaga gets a taste of the limits of her own creation, like you point out so well in the OP. Through ARTPOP she gets to observe the bars of her artistic cage. What she has built, and how she now has to move around that. Her label, her persona, and her dance-music. That's what ARTPOP has been about, ever since the beginning, when she appears inside a cage in the Applause Video.

It's obvious she's sick of it, and she knows if she keeps doing this her next album will definitely flop, because her heart is not in it. Because she can see too clearly the cage her Label put her in. That's why this is the last album of the beginning of her career.

She NEEDS (inside) to make something completely different, so she can feel again that artistic drive. :gaga:

Everything you said was so perfect  :gaga:

When I first saw that cage in the Applause video I instantly knew she felt trapped in this "Lady Gaga POP STAR" jail cell she made for herself, whether she was aware of it or not. Even the make-up/wig was a reference to her Monster Ball persona that no one seems to be able to let go of...the makeup in this scene looks smeared, sick, and disgustingâ€â€which is probably what she thinks of the Fame Monster era's look at this point. She's pushed everything as far as she can as pop star, and all of the issues this past year with her label, management, and even MTV were so indicative of that. NOBODY seemed to let her do what she originally planned for this era. Hence, her "creative rebellion" phase.

As much as I'm curious to hear Act 2, I know that releasing yet another dance pop album right now would be the last nail in the coffin for both the media's perception of her, as well as her own perception of herself. This stuff is so stale for her at this point, and I'm excited to see what she does as she moves on from it. 

Archived