💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Interscope didn't want Lana Del Rey's Ultraviolence to happen

Xgongiviguess

Featured Posts

disneyhigh

Well, they were right... That album was a huge dissapointment for me :noparty: I grew to like it, but it cost me a lot of energy :laughga: some of the songs are really a pure really long noise :toofunny:

The album is nowhere near Born to die, that one was just perfection :legend:

All of this! I loved Born to die so much. but I seriously can not do ultraviolence. I just do not have the energy. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alcina Dimitrescu

Stan for Lana but wasn't a fan of the album at all & I think Paul Epworth working on it would have been amazing. His production isn't all basic Adele sounding, he produced Florence's albums and they're mind blowing. I think that he could have taken the BTD sound and taken it to the next level rather than just going in a new direction all together like she did.

he said it was perfect.

PopBitch

To those who think her sound hasn't changed: Ultraviolence is a rock album. It's not hook-heavy or catchy or formulaic, it's more retro feeling and unpolished. The electric guitars are hypnotic and a lot of it is inspired by Pink Floyd and other psychedelic rock bands, like the Doors. Plus, the jazzy element is something new from her. Born to Die was full of catchy, melodic pop songs with lush strings and hip hop beats that are both absent from Ultraviolence. The progression of her music went from polished melodic pop to bluesy rock from Born to Die to Paradise and now to Ultraviolence, her most stripped down music to date.

I think she did the right thing by pushing for her vision because critics are eating it up and it's gained her some credibility as an artist. If she came back with another Born to Die, I don't imagine it would've changed anyone's mind about her.

By the way, can we not turn this into a Gaga vs. Lana thread? They're in completely different lanes in the industry and coexist just fine. Let it go.

I bow down to this post.

Poker

Why would they hate it? It's exactly the same sound as her first album.  :toofunny:

No, it is not. The first one was more pop/hip-hop.

Kindness rules all.

StrawberryBlond

Interscope was right, Ultraviolence has nothing remotely hitworthy and is just riding momemtum from BTD and SS. Out of top 10 in US and UK in just 3 or 4 weeks.

At least Kylie and Britney always slayed when dance-pop was popular (late 80s, early 00's, late 00's). Lana is under-performing relative to peers like Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Paloma Faith, P. Nutini. Slower music is in but Lana isn't capitalizing.  

Why not? She's gifted with words, slow songs can be hits, all she needs is some half decent production. Fact is a lot people who liked BTD aren't so into the sequal. 

Ultraviolence #17 UK in UK after 5 weeks, actually very similar trajectory to Kylie's Into the Blue. Could be gone from top 100 within a few months. http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/

She can't be expected to have hit album after hit album, no artist can do that. And she hasn't even promoted in the UK this time. There's not much point comparing her to these artists. Sam Smith is a new artist, so of course he's going to get amazing success with his debut, just like Lana did. And Ed, Paloma and Paolo are artists who have slowly got more and more popular as time as gone on and are in the glory days of their careers right now, plus they are performing at every event going. Promotion is the name of the game if you want to sell and Lana isn't promoting here, so her numbers are understandable. I think her production is perfect as it is - it's her trademark and changing it would go against everything that makes her wonderful and unique. It's not the production that's a problem for her in attaining a hit, it's that her lyrics are so rich and intelligent that the music buying public will simply not get it. The only slow songs they want are basic paint-by-numbers break-up ballads from the likes of Adele - no thought required and always 100% relatable. They'll be left scratching their heads by Lana's use of obscure words and topics about unrelatable things like the extravagent life of a girl under the control of a sugar daddy. And a lot of people do like Lana's follow-up, it's just taking time to grow on those who are so used to her BTD style. And you can't compare an album's chart record to a single's chart record. Singles have always sold better, as you know. Compare it to Kylie's album (which performed a lot worse despite all that UK promo she got) rather than her single.

Kinda sad considering Ultraviolence has been the best album that's been out this year. 

I used to really like Interscope as a label, but after reading this and what happened with Gaga, I'm starting to doubt they really know what they're doing anymore. Shame. 

Brooke Hoegan

I soooo cannot wait for Gaga to abandon that shiity label... :manicure:

ARTPOP isn't as good as Gaga's previous albums, but they surely didn't help it, ha, they even destroyed it completely...

artists that didn't even make it to the top #40 can release 5 or more singles + music videos off their albums, and Gaga isn't encouraged to release a 4th ? #SHEETYPEOPLE  :fthis:

bling not the music :sweep:

Archived