Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Minneapolis locals claim Bar Louie's dress code policy is racist

Lion Heart

Featured Posts

Lion Heart

1happy0930.jpg

MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -
A Minneapolis woman says a sign she found outside Bar Louie in Uptown was shocking, and she's not shy about speaking out on the controversial dress code that has many saying they'll no longer spend money there.

"It's the new Jim Crow being enforced in a colorblind way," Michelle Horovitz told Fox 9 News.

Bar Louie is now enforcing a strict dress code that is enforced every Thursday through Saturday from 9 p.m. to close and bars the following items:

4138238_G.jpg

"What is 'excessively baggy?'" Horovitz asked. "Who's going to judge that? Are you going to have Grandma B sitting by the door saying, 'That's too baggy'?"

Horovitz considers the dress code to be both appalling and racist. "You might as well say, 'No black folks allowed,'" she said. "It's ridiculous." She's not the only one who is disgusted by the dress code either. Sean Tierney told Fox 9 News he believes it's "totally racial profiling," and Imani Vincent said the real message is clear.

"If you do not want African Americans to frequent your establishment, then maybe you should just say that and not just break it down to the dress code," Vincent said. Vincent told Fox 9 News he believes there's only one way to respond to the discriminatory dress code.

"Hurt 'em in the pockets," he recommended. "That's where it would hurt them the most. If they don't want us there, then we don't have to be there -- and that's their loss."

Both Vincent and Horovitz say the corporate-pushed code, which was nowhere to be seen at the Bar Louie location in the suburb of Minnetonka, is a glaring example of an often unspoken issue.

"Minnesota might be the nicest, healthiest, cleanest state in America, but we have huge issues as far as segregation, racism, systematic oppression -- and people want to look the other way," Horovitz said. "This is not okay, and we're not going to patronize you if you don't change your policy."

Fox 9 News did reach out to Bar Louie's corporate office, but has not heard back. The manager at the Uptown location did confirm that the policy was handed down by their corporate office, and they say employees are simply following orders.

inside-look-outdoor-dining.jpg?itok=-PjD

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/25951237/bar-louies-dress-code-policy-denounced-as-overtly-racist

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paper Planes

RacismDaily

But there are a lot of clubs/restaurants that have dress codes. There are plenty of people of every race that wear clothes like that, not just black people. They don't want their customers looking trashy, and I could understand why.

delete it fat
Anomaly

It's not racist, they just don't want you walking in dressed like a hood rat. I'm positive that they wouldn't turn away someone of color who was well-dressed and had manners, just as I'm sure they would probably send a white man walking around with his pants below his waist and cussing up a storm straight to the door. Color ain't got nothing to do with it.

Gov Hooka

It sounds to me like Horovitz is the one who is being "racist" (more like stereotyping)  herself by automatically assuming that a sign that says no baggy clothes automatically refers to African Americans by going off a stereotype that all African Americans wear baggy clothes.

Even people of other races wouldn't fit that dress code, how stupid.

wannabe.jpg

That's not racist at all. If they don't want people wearing trashy clothing in their fine establishment, they have that right. All a black person has to do is dress nice to go. A white guy who usually wears tank tops has to do the same. And if you can't do that, then you shouldn't be going to that bar.

?

I mean

There are plenty of white people who wear saggy/baggy clothes as well.

I mean, it has a dress code. They want people to look well-dressed. Not everything is racist :rip:

MESS I'm so sick of the word racist. it's thrown around too much.

RacismDaily

But there are a lot of clubs/restaurants that have dress codes. There are plenty of people of every race that wear clothes like that, not just black people. They don't want their customers looking trashy, and I could understand why.

Exactly.

DeleteMyAccount

It may not be racist, but it is discriminatory.  It's obviously targeting a specific group.  I've never seen a dress code like that, nor many folks even dressed like that in Minneapolis.. 

Kit Walker

This article is more racist, just using black stereotypes to their advantage for an article.

It's not racist, they just don't want you walking in dressed like a hood rat. I'm positive that they wouldn't turn away someone of color who was well-dressed and had manners, just as I'm sure they would probably send a white man walking around with his pants below his waist and cussing up a storm straight to the door. Color ain't got nothing to do with it.

This puts it perfectly.

JaggedMonster

All clubs/lounges  have certain dress codes or image they want to put on ..i mean its simple just wear dressing clothes its not that heard. :awkney:

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived