Drowning, Not Waving: The Bitter End of Lady Gaga's Career

PigInsideAHuman

Featured Posts

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smooth Criminal

I agree with about 80% of the article.

The guy is mostly telling the truth & telling it like it is, without any sugarcoating.

chromadica

I'm not one to praise every single thing Gaga does, but this talk is just old now. It's been going on for over a year. Gaga "flopped", her recent album didn't match expectations, people are enjoying her downfall even though she's just fine and doing better than a lot of other current artists. She made questionable decisions throughout her entire career. She's already solidified her position as an influential artist and ARTPOP hasn't really changed what she's already done. Gaga may lose her position as "most popular" to people like Katy or Beyonce, but nobody has really affected pop culture the way she has. She's going to have slip ups and we should really stop dwelling on the fact that she released something that hasn't slayed the masses. Also the G.U.Y. MV is anything but boring.

Emvee

I agree with about 80% of the article.

The guy is mostly telling the truth & telling it like it is, without any sugarcoating.

Quote some key points. Let's get somewhere with this, not just agree with the notion that Lady Gaga's career is dead or dying. 

This article has been posted here before, and its not really news worthy.

Can we all just try and enjoy the music and stop being so negative.

DanceInTheFlames

It's sad how easily and shamelessly the entertainment industry tries to push women in the business down and pit them against each other. I don't understand their fascination with tearing them apart. Charts, fame, and money mean nothing compared to integrity.

Like why does Gaga always have to do something that everyone loves or is HUGE? She doesn't. G.U.Y. is a fantastic video, and regardless she doesn't deserve the **** this article is talking about. Gaga is doing what she wants to do and what makes her feel fulfilled and happy, and I have more respect for that than other artists who just make things to get rich and famous. 

Is she as big as she once was? No, but why does that matter? 

Willy Wonka

This is no offense to you, I'm just using you as an example.

BUT HAVENT WE KNOWN THIS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW? This noise just keeps on going, doesn't it? When will a blogger simply say that Gaga has transitioned into a different part of her career now?

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE DEAD?

Maybe :shrug:

I read it more as an (aggressive) a--lysis of "Why isn't Gaga having the same success?" Rather than "why does Gaga suck and why is she ruining everything for herself?"

Yes, she may have been pretentious for a long time, but now that her success has scaled down, the pretentiousness is possibly seeming more out of line with reality. I'm not sure. The pretentiousness has never bothered me, except in the announcements about the artRave.

But I think it's more a buildup of these things (pretentiousness, loss of mystery, recycled themes) that people have started to take issue with.

She is certainly allowed and encouraged to evolve as an artist. I think this was just a stumble for her. She couldn't transition her career alongside her personal transition, and that's okay! Everyone makes mistakes. It's growing pains. But I hope to see her grow from this.

LadyCaligula

The only people that notice her dancing are people with a more than average interest in dancing. I don't notice anything wrong with her dancing - no singer keeps up exactly like her dancers. The only people complaining are a minority of dance students, dancers, or people obsessed with dancing.

As for Greece/Egypt... no.

Im not saying the writer of this snarky article is correct but if you are denying the fact that Cleopatra and her family were Greek and that Egypt in their time was influenced by Greece and Hellenic then you are ignorant...not misinformed because its historical fact. Look at a bust of Nefertiti beside of CLeopatra...apples and oranges. Cleopatra was Greek not the Elizabeth Taylor myth.

whoever calls a bad era, the end of a career, doesnt know one thing about this industry, how many times did Madonna and MJ seemed to be over?

Willy Wonka

I'm not one to praise every single thing Gaga does, but this talk is just old now. It's been going on for over a year. Gaga "flopped", her recent album didn't match expectations, people are enjoying her downfall even though she's just fine and doing better than a lot of other current artists. She made questionable decisions throughout her entire career. She's already solidified her position as an influential artist and ARTPOP hasn't really changed what she's already done. Gaga may lose her position as "most popular" to people like Katy or Beyonce, but nobody has really affected pop culture the way she has. She's going to have slip ups and we should really stop dwelling on the fact that she released something that hasn't slayed the masses. Also the G.U.Y. MV is anything but boring.

That's a really good point. She's always been stumbling, but it's only now caught up to her. Now that her stumbles are actually causing problems, people are losing their **** that it's happening. One era isn't the end of a career, especially one so extraordinary as Gaga's.

Rollercoaster

Im not saying the writer of this snarky article is correct but if you are denying the fact that Cleopatra and her family were Greek and that Egypt in their time was influenced by Greece and Hellenic then you are ignorant...not misinformed because its historical fact. Look at a bust of Nefertiti beside of CLeopatra...apples and oranges. Cleopatra was Greek not the Elizabeth Taylor myth.

I'm denying that the videos are anything alike. The writer of this crap clearly doesn't reference Cleopatras lineage because it's not what either video is about and is totally irrelevant.

LadyCaligula

I'm denying that the videos are anything alike. The writer of this crap clearly doesn't reference Cleopatras lineage because it's not what either video is about and is totally irrelevant.

Im not sure how anyone ever thought they were simiar so I dont get that. There is a Cleopatra-esque image in GUY which people see as 'shading Katy' somehow but I think its more of a Fame Monster easter egg...the hairstyle on the cover art... just like the Fame era statue that past in a boat before it.

Willy Wonka

He's not egging the other side. He has legitimate personal criticisms that were able to coincide with the article. Most of the reactions in this thread are stemming from how the material is written, not what it's saying. If Willy legitimately feels like he dislikes those certain aspects, that's ok, as even you said it's all just down to personal opinion and taste. :shrug: I disagree with a lot of the article, but I can see why others might find some hints of agreement and that's not necessarily a bad thing on their part. I know Willy, he's still here for the right reasons whether he thinks the current direction is up to his liking or not. :)

Hey, I really appreciate this a lot. You don't even know.

Smooth Criminal

Quote some key points. Let's get somewhere with this, not just agree with the notion that Lady Gaga's career is dead or dying. 

Lol, I would love to & want to.

But I'm tired af right now, just got back from a 2hr workout & its 1 am here! :giveup:

I have a lot to say but don't have the strength right now! :rip:

But I will say that No, I don't agree with the notion that her career is dying, but I do agree that she is very heavily responsible for the state that her career is in. 

VforVendetta

Who gave that bull**** attention with a thread on the news section?

Archived