šŸ’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT šŸ’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Was the fanbase too young for Joanne ?

Oriane

Featured Posts

Oriane

So as we all know, a lot of fans don't like Joanne, or at least don't like it as much as her other albums, think it's boring, less creative, etc.

I noticed that most people who say this don't relate to the message of the album and think it's not important.

As we saw in some polls made here, most of the fanbase is under 25. We discovered Gaga when we were teenagers or even children. And most of the music she did before spoke to insecure teenagers, rather than adults. But with Joanne she wanted to go somewhere different. When you're 30, you live different things and you have new concerns. So she explored different themes, things that she began to realize, things about life that began striking her : death, illness, pain, heartbreak, relationships to her family and friends...

Let's be honest : when you're a teenager or a young adult, most of the time, these are things you haven't experienced. (and I said most of the time, I know some people are not that lucky) Losing a close relative or a friend, having a serious physical or mental illness, ending a relationship of 5 years, being aware of your family's feelings... I'm 21 and I haven't experienced these things yet. Most people I know of my age haven't either. Even Gaga didn't start at least realizing these things until later in her career (like her rape, her pain, that she had to be open about her emotions...).

But then I notice a lot of people, here or in various reviews, who say they love the album and it struck a chord because she talked about things that meant a lot to them. They could relate to the message and she found the notes and the words to heal them. I even see some people who became fans with Joanne. And I usually notice more respect for the album from older people on this site.

The music and visuals were more laid back because she didn't need something crazy to talk about these subjects. This is something bigger, that speaks directly to your heart when you need it.

I think Joanne will be a grower in this fanbase. Right now, it's seen as not-so-good, too country, boring, etc... But in 10, 20 years from now, I'm sure the love for the album will grow, and we will start seeing comments praising its message and how the music helped them and how relatable it is. I already know Joanne and Grigio Girls will help me when I lose someone, that Million Reasons will help me when I have a big heartbreak...

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I donā€™t think age has anything to do with it, itā€™s a different sound from her and the fan base wasnā€™t built on that sound.

The Bling

It seems like a big part of this fanbase only wants to bop their asses :derpga:

nCGb8vb.gif

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

Sepsami

Girl don't think too much of it, people were ripping on ARTPOP during 2013 - 2014 and suddenly everyone loved that era when it was overĀ :emma:

People that are angry or unhappy will always be the loudest, with that said I'd like to toast to the beautiful album that is JoanneĀ 

champagne-sparkling-wine-bubbles-bubbly-

Most of the fanbase were around 18 years old when JD was released and now they are almost 30 and above..

Polls in GGD can't show the real average of age because 30+ people don't use forums anymore..

Je ne parle pas franƧais but I can padam if you like

Iā€™m 20 and Iā€™m really relatedĀ to this album.Ā yeah oc at first it sounded like the opposite of anything she has ever done in her life, but after a few listens it really got me.Ā 

And I think that Its not about the age,Ā itā€™s more about your personality.Ā 

Reality

I don't think it was age, but I think it was just a matter of being "too different." Gaga has always been known to change her style, however, JoanneĀ wasĀ vastly different style than any other album before. It's a matter of what Gaga built her image on. She built it on being super controversial, making dance/electronic pop songs, wearing outrageous clothing, etc. JoanneĀ was radically different and because of that, I think that people may not necessarily like it as much as her previous works.

šŸ–¤šŸ‘¹

sipthistea

Many are not so open to change. They just want nonsense sounds to bop at the club. It's not that is a bad thing, but to ask Gaga to re make her first 2 albums is just childish.Ā 

For my part, I think it's important for an artist to explore and develop their best work each time. And I believe Joanne is a step forward in terms of musicianship, discipline and songwriting.Ā 

Tom Nook

Maybe or maybe not, but for me and this is probably delulu :poot:Ā I always thought Gagaā€™s albums were released alongsideĀ important times in my life :selena:Ā like Born This Way was released when I was in high school and I was coming terms with my sexuality, ARTPOP during my creative and rebelliousĀ period, and now Joanne with my shift in music taste and some experiences Iā€™ve had as Iā€™m entering my 20s, but if anything Joanne was just a style and approach in music that most are just not interested in and thatā€™s ok

Uh Red Wine... Convict... Gah Gah...

While I understand what you are saying, GagaDaily represents a very small portion of her overall fanbase. At least 50% of the people that were at her tour was middle aged adults.Ā 

Younger people tend to gravitate towards online forums.Ā 

Edonis

Most of her fans were in their late teens/adulthood when she first debuted on the scene, so I don't think age has anything to do with it actually. If her fans really were too young (i.e. kids) she would have stronger streaming power to be quite frank :laughga:

The mixed Joanne reception was mostly due to sound and how it was a large departure from her previous work.

PunkTheFunk

Saying that this fanbase is not mature orĀ refined enough to enjoy Joanne is an insult, considering many of us enjoy other artists who make similar sounding musicĀ :triggered:Ā 

The problem is that weĀ didn't get the Gaga we signed up for. And that's fine, she's allowed to be as artistically free as she wants. We just have to wait it out and see what happens.

Joanne resonates with me. I mean, Iā€™m only 18, but it really healed my soul when this summer one of my best friend died in a car accident. I think it is more about what youā€™ve gone through than your age. I love bops and bangers but really, some songs on Joanne go beyond that. It speask volumes to me: ā€˜Iā€™ll still love you even if I canā€™t see you anymoreā€™ā¤ļø

Archived