movie

The Grudge Franchise

Doot

Featured Posts

600?cb=20111121080708

THE FILMS

The Grudge

The_Grudge_movie.jpg

The Grudge is a 2004 American supernatural horror film and a remake of the Japanese film, Ju-on: The Grudge. The film was released in North America on October 22, 2004, by Columbia Pictures, and was directed by Takashi Shimizu (director of all previous Ju-on films) while Stephen Susco scripted the film. The plot is told through a non-linear sequence of events and includes several intersecting subplots. The film was a box office success, making over $187 million against a $10 million budget, though it received only mixed reviews from critics.

The film was followed by two sequels, The Grudge 2 (2006) and The Grudge 3 (2009).

The Grudge 2

Grudge2tease1-2.jpg

The Grudge 2 is a 2006 American supernatural horror film and a sequel to the 2004 film, The Grudge. Produced by Sam Raimi, the film was directed by Takashi Shimizu (director of the Ju-on series),[2] written by Stephen Susco[3] and stars an ensemble cast that includes Amber Tamblyn, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Edison Chen, Arielle Kebbel, Jenna Dewan Tatum, Teresa Palmer, Misako Uno, Matthew Knight and Takako Fuji.

As stated by Takashi Shimizu, the film is not a remake of any Japanese film and follows a different storyline.Like its predecessor, the film features a plot that is told through a non-linear sequence of events and includes several intersecting subplots. The three main subplots include: Karen's younger sister Aubrey coming to Japan after finding out about Doug's death, a schoolgirl named Allison being hunted by the ghosts after entering the house with two of her classmates and a young boy named Jake whose apartment building is haunted by the Saeki's.

The film was announced after the release of the previous film in October 2004, due to its financial success. Shimizu was announced to return as director on January 2005 and casting begun on December, with the announcement of Gellar returning. The film was entirely shot in Japan, with Tamblyn performing re-shoots in Chicago, Illinois.

It was released in North America on October 13, 2006 (Friday the 13th),[5] after being pushed forward a week from the original October 20 release date.[6][7] It was released in the UK on October 20 and in Australia on October 26, 2006.[8] The film received mixed to negative reviews but was financially successful. A sequel, The Grudge 3 was released direct-to-video on May 12, 2009.

The Grudge 3

The_Grudge_3_DVD_cover.jpg

The Grudge 3 is a 2009 American direct-to-video supernatural horror film and the third film in The Grudge series. Toby Wilkins, who had previously directed the successful film Splinter and the short films Tales from the Grudge, took Takashi Shimizu's place as director who later served as executive producer, while Brad Keene replaced Stephen Susco as screenwriter. The film stars Johanna Braddy, Shawnee Smith and Marina Sirtis, with a special appearance by Matthew Knight(from The Grudge 2), and was released on DVD on May 12, 2009.

Unlike the previous American films that were both rated PG-13, The Grudge 3 was given an R rating because of its graphic bloody violence, gore and language. The film features a linear plotline unlike all of its predecessors, which used nonlinear sequences of events for their respective plots and subplots.

Spoiler

These are the American series. I would be happy to add the Japanese series if wanted.

DISCUSS

giphy.gif

tellemhone

I liked all 3 :giveup:

I prefer the first and second over the third though. Didn't they announce a fourth one a while back?

:air: :air: :air:

5 minutes ago, tellemhone said:

I liked all 3 :giveup:

The second is probably my favourite though. Didn't they announce a fourth one a while back?

If my memory serves, they were simply talking about doing yet another reboot (idk y) after the critical failure of 2 and 3.

malazam

My childhood! This franchise and Ginger Snaps bring so many memories I lived with my sister!

another shot before we kiss the other side

9 minutes ago, malazam said:

My childhood! This franchise and Ginger Snaps bring so many memories I lived with my sister!

Good! I am glad whoever created this thread brought back good memories in this time of despair :hug:

1 minute ago, musicnotbling said:

hi why did i click on this thread because i saw the movie posters and now i'm creeped out and home alone.

Just hide under the covers. 

tenor.gif

If this is strictly for the Hollywood remake, only the first two films are good. The third one is not even scary, I laughed at how bad the acting was. 

For the Japanese one, I love the earlier ones they did. (1998-2003), and it became crap when Ju On: Beginning of the end exist. 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

9 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

If this is strictly for the Hollywood remake, only the first two films are good. The third one is not even scary, I laughed at how bad the acting was. 

For the Japanese one, I love the earlier ones they did. (1998-2003), and it became crap when Ju On: Beginning of the end exist. 

I didn’t include the Japanese or Korean ones, because there’s like a million, but if people really wanted to, I could. 

Just now, Doot said:

I didn’t include the Japanese or Korean ones, because there’s like a million, but if people really wanted to, I could. 

It is not an issue at all. Strictly speaking the western ones are pretty good.  

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ with birds I share this lonely view (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

2 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

It is not an issue at all. Strictly speaking the western ones are pretty good.  

Yeah, I was hoping it wouldn’t offend anyone that I didn’t include those. Especially since the Japanese filmmaker who made a few of the original made the American ones too. 

Archived