💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Was the Halftime show her best perfomance ever?

Notthebling

Featured Posts

One of the best halftime shows imo. Her best performance ever? As others have mentioned they are difficult to rank because they are all so different. 

How do you begin to compare the halftime show with some of her performances of Lush Life? How do you compare it to her widely acclaimed SOM tribute or her emotional TIHTY Oscar performance?

I think that she managed to play to her strengths and performance styles at the SBHTS. At the beginning she belted out God Bless America / This Land Is Your Land recalled her C2C vocalist type performances, she showcased her theatrical side particularly during Poker Face and Telephone, her tightly choreographed numbers for BTW and BR showcased the pop megastar of the TFM/BTW eras and of course she had to include a piano ballad with MR that has been a staple of hers from the beginning.

She pulled off a spectacular halftime show and it's one of the best imo - but the halftime show isn't the place she could have created a moody and emotional performance that we know she is capable of pulling off, it wasn't the place where she could push the boundaries with a polarizing performance like Swine at SXSW or Paparazzi VMA. 

Although it no doubt had the best set production, the 12 minutes at the SBHTS is for a certain kind of performance, it has it's limits. I would rate the SBHTS among her best, but I don't know if it's her very best.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
djBuffoon
1 hour ago, Bradley Cooper said:

At this point, I don't think it's even possible to rank her performances.

Each is unique in its own way and caters to the particular context it was performed in.

This.

OMonster

Gaga's half time show was, and still is, absolutely incredible. It was celebratory and very triumphant. She served hits, visuals, fashion, choreography and vocals all in one compact, 13 minute slot. It is the best half time show in history. I believe she elevated everything that stage represents: showmanship and great patriotism. 

I wouldn't say it is her overall best performance, though. For me, a best Gaga performance has to be defining, new and statement making. I don't think any of us were really expecting it to be her all time greatest either, because...well... put simply, the NFL is too politically correct. It wasn't meant to be a huge statement. It was supposed to be a celebration of her discography and career. And she could not have fulfilled that purpose in a better way. So according to context, yes it is her 'best' performance. 

Her actual best performance in my opinion remains the VMA Paparazzi spectacle, though. This was Gaga delivering performance art to a mainstream audience. This was her Bowie moment - the defining moment of her career. Nothing like this had been seen for a long, long time in the generic sphere of pop culture. She changed it all. Gaga also says that her entire career is an embodiment of ARTPOP, and I think that is very evident in this performance. She really did put art (in terms of the story, the 'dying' fashion and the visuals) back into pop. 

Interestingly then, you could even say that the half time lacks any element of ARTPOP. It wasn't outrageously artistic or revolutionary. That is why I wouldn't consider it her best. But again, it's all about purpose. She delivered exactly what was needed, whilst exceeding expectations for that specific platform. 

Sorry for the essay but I really wanted to explain my view. I adored the half time show, and in all my time as a monster, I have never felt as excited for a performance from her. It was certainly one of her best... just in a relative way if that makes sense. 

subtext / fantasy

KleinGa
1 hour ago, KevinLeto said:

And she hasn't peaked yet so the best is yet to come

Many many many many many x10 people will disagree with this but thanks for saying it. We have so much more waiting. She will explode as she continues into her 30s.

Born This Way at the Grammys and ARTPOP at the Tonight Show are better in my opinion, they didn't have that huge production from the Superbowl but I think they were visually more interesting and entertaining

50 minutes ago, Entropy said:

no way. the halftime show was great, amazing, but she didn't top what i think is one of her best performances ever:

it always irked me how she accidentally played the wrong chord when the band comes in 

4 hours ago, Colemonster86 said:

Has any one ever noticed that all performances with a mic drop at the end are iconic.

VMA's 2009 :gaysia:

Superbowl 2017 :gaycat:

All = 2:oprah:

4 hours ago, Brunette said:

it always irked me how she accidentally played the wrong chord when the band comes in 

Where is that wrong part?

Robo Ga

It competes very closely with some of her most iconic: Paparazzi VMAs, Speechless w/ Elton at Grammys, Born This Way @ Grammys, Oscars Sound of Music

🤖⚡️

ShayCristoforo

I think she performed very well. It was her best performance overall. But I think as a "performer", she is the best performer when she looks insane LOL. Like VMAs 2009. Or maybe when she just looks pissed and passionate, like Born This Way Grammys. Whenever she holds a final pose for 35 years with a mean mug, it gives me life   
(although anytime she showcases her vocals is killer also)

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

Katie14
8 hours ago, KevinLeto said:

I loooove her HTS performance and cried watching it but I don't think it's her best performance at all. Because since it is a medley of her biggest hits, it is epic in a way of a celebration but doesn't convey an interesting story. I think that she has many other performances where her artistic expression shines through more. And she hasn't peaked yet so the best is yet to come :staymad:

I agree. My only critique of the performance is that there was no story. Her performance was top quality and entertaining to watch but didn't hit me on an emotional level and wasn't that memorable because of that.

Archived