💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Janet "If" reference in Gaga "Applause" video

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne

OMG I just realized something.... 

Obviously, we all know that Gaga was obviously referencing Janet Jackson's iconic 1993 Rolling Stone cover with the "hands" costume...

620xauto-ini-dia-video-klip-paling-fashi

...but I just realized something new about "Applause"!! This classic moment where Gaga wipes her mouth...

HJx0GGUpAjYPK.gif

...could be an homage to the choreography from Janet's "If" video (released at the exact same time as the topless Rolling Stone cover in 1993)... This is the moment in the video when Janet is singing about giving her man a blowjob: 

tumblr_ll0iyk7w0X1qb1c2fo1_500.gif

IT'S A REACH, BUT I'M SHOOK

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Poissonche

I mean, it could... but I still think it's just Gaga wiping yellow make up over her face :unicorn:

FATCAT

Maybe. Though, It is a reach, and her spreading paint on her face is more likely :emma:

Purr more, hiss less.

ReidOne

Definitely a reach!!! I will fully own that. 

But it's also something to make you go "hmmm".... 

For the "older" age 30+ users on here (who were Janet fans), you will remember that distinct moment of the choreography was one of the most overtly sexual images Janet had ever portrayed (at the time). It had us SHOOK back then. She's basically wiping cum off her face. So it's definitely "ripe" for referencing. 

Also, I've always felt as if the Janet references in "Applause" (and yes, I believe there are more) was an intentional way to "shade" Madonna, post-"Born This Way" scandal... as if Gaga was saying to Madonna, "you aren't the only queen of pop worth referencing in my art." 

So looking at it thru that lens, it sorta makes sense. 

But I agree ---- reach.

reaching-for-his-wand.jpg

I am 99% sure I've seen a pic of someone wearing a similar hand bra in one of those videos people accuse Gaga of plagiarism 

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

PartySick
10 minutes ago, Red said:

I am 99% sure I've seen a pic of someone wearing a similar hand bra in one of those videos people accuse Gaga of plagiarism 

"What if hands...but on boobs?"

Not exactly a revolutionary thought :emma: people go crazy for this plagiarism nonsense tbh.

OT: I love your reaches :diane:

🖤

The "inspiration" came ages ago when people kept tweeting about how Gaga should wear this back when it first emerged on the internet

ea921d9892efd6fc894a08c82de0b39f.jpg

FrankGutz
8 minutes ago, inuborg said:

REACH 

agRih, REACH

3 minutes ago, Dawson said:

I think it's her referencing her MA PA PA PA PA PERFECT ILLUSION

:sharon:

Dᴄ • Dᴀʀᴋ Hᴏʀsᴇ | Hᴏʀʀᴏʀ • Tʜʀɪʟʟᴇʀ | Eʟᴇᴄᴛʀᴏɴɪᴄ | Fɪᴛɴᴇss | Mᴀɴᴅʏ Mᴏᴏʀᴇ • Lᴀᴅʏ Gᴀɢᴀ • Sᴏᴘʜɪᴇ Bᴇxᴛᴏʀ

Archived