💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Let's Talk about Gaga's Acting Career

The Surrealist

Featured Posts

The Surrealist

lady-gaga-oscar-sound-of-music.jpg

As incentive for Gaga's first movie as an actress in a leading role, I decided to take a look back.

She performed lead roles in high school productions, including Adelaide in Guys and Dolls and Philia in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. She also appeared in a very small role as a mischievous classmate in the television drama series The Sopranos in a 2001 episode titled "The Telltale Moozadell". She auditioned for New York shows without success. She also studied method acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute for ten years.

After high school, her mother encouraged her to apply for the Collaborative Arts Project 21 (CAP21), a musical theater training conservatory at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. One of 20 students to gain early admission, she, aged 17, lived in an NYU dorm on 11th Street.

At age 19, Gaga withdrew from CAP21 in the second semester of her sophomore year, deciding to focus on her musical career.

In May 2012, Gaga guest-starred as an animated version of herself on the 23rd season finale of The Simpsons, titled "Lisa Goes Gaga". 

ladygaga_2215664b.jpg

Gaga starred in Robert Rodriguez's Machete Kills (2013), a critical and commercial failure that earned her a Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actress nomination. (Screen time: roughly 2:30 minutes)

lady-gaga-machete-kills.jpeg

Gaga had a cameo in another Robert Rodriguez film, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, released on August 22, 2014. (Screen time: 1:05 minutes)

rs_560x415-140820153406-1024.lady-gaga.c

At the 87th Academy Awards, she performed a tribute to The Sound of Music, singing a medley of songs from the film.

464186832.jpg

Gaga starred in American Horror Story: Hotel, the fifth season of American Horror Story, which ran from October 2015 to January 2016. Despite her performance receiving mixed reviews, she won a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film at the 2016 ceremony.

Lady-Gaga.jpg

In March 2016, she announced that she would return for the sixth season of American Horror Story. In August 2016, Warner Bros. confirmed that Gaga would star in Bradley Cooper's remake of the 1954 musical drama film, A Star Is Born, and create new music for the film.

a_gaga_is_born.jpg

-Wikipedia

The reception from the general public: 

Many people think it's wrong to cast her in A Star Is Born and she will be a disaster. But let's get things straight: A Star is Born is Gaga's first movie. Nobody gets everything right the first time. Gaga won't get the luxury of being a beginner (because she is Gaga and an easy target for critics to get clicks on their site) and critics will be harsh.

However, I have great faith in Gaga and another singer-actress already proved it's possible to prove everyone wrong and act the hell out of her first movie role.

434701-jennifer-hudson-recoit-son-oscar-

Discuss.

Azor Ahai

She did pretty good on Hotel but was horrible in Machete Kills and Sin City 2 ( her characters were horrible too so maybe that's the reason).

Hopefully she will be good in AHS ?6 and the movie. THEN I hope she takes some months to chill off then go to tour with the new album  hopefully released by then.

EDIT: 3 uses of 'then' in the same sentence :rip: I need to find some synonyms.

Dominic

I've never really believed Gaga as an actress. I don't think her role in AHS was that good however she definitely improved as the season progressed. 

It'll be interesting to see her in ASIB however I hope we get to see a different side to her...a more emotional and human one. Her prior gigs have always even quite cold and wooden (For possibly good purpose in AHS) so I'd like to see her pull off a more vulnerable role. 

I'll continue to support her but in all honesty I'm not expecting the greatest of things. Let's hope she does surprise me. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

ryhanna

Honestly, I haven't liked Gaga in any of the acting roles she's had so far. She always come across rather stiff. While she looks great in costume, I'm yet to be impressed by any performance.

She was fantastic in Sin City 2 & AHS. Although I enjoyed her in Machete, her acting was kind of over the top (like everyone's acting in that movie). I honestly think she'll be great

she can get cast in as many shitty movies as she wishes just as long as she doesn't miss the opportunity to be Woody Allen's leading lady.

she better hurry up though... 'cause, well, you know... :awkney:

I have faith in her

If the A Star Is Born Remake is a flop it's not going to be because of her, in fact, I think her performance will be critically acclaimed and maybe nominated to some awards

The Surrealist
15 minutes ago, Dominic Marc said:

II don't think her role in AHS was that good however she definitely improved as the season progressed. 

It'll be interesting to see her in ASIB however I hope we get to see a different side to her...a more emotional and human one. Her prior gigs have always even quite cold and wooden

I agree she had a whacky start, but in episode seven and afterwards she was amazing and believable.

I don't like that wooden side either, let's hope she did that for the character.

14 minutes ago, ryhanna said:

Honestly, I haven't liked Gaga in any of the acting roles she's had so far. She always come across rather stiff. While she looks great in costume, I'm yet to be impressed by any performance.

She impressed me with that the scenes with Evan Peters at the dinner table. And of course the slap in the face.

tumblr_o74w9kFW7e1uz1hbdo1_500.gif

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR GODDAMN MIND?!

1 hour ago, Clip said:

I have faith in her

If the A Star Is Born Remake is a flop it's not going to be because of her, in fact, I think her performance will be critically acclaimed and maybe nominated to some awards

and even if her performance gets (unrightfully) panned along with the movie, I still wouldn't care because, to me, it's kind of what made Madonna cool as an actress, not giving a **** and continuing to approach every role the exact same amateurish way until she nailed it with Evita, making her acting in the rest of her "B" filmography more appreciated for what it is and better remembered than that of Cher which had been well-received from the very beginning and even got her an Oscar.

The Surrealist
1 minute ago, JDi said:

and even if her performance gets (unrightfully) panned along with the movie, I still wouldn't care because, to me,  it's kind of what made Madonna cool as an actress, not giving a **** and continuing to approach every role the exact same amateurish way until she nailed it, making both her acting in Evita and her "B" filmography more appreciated for what they are and better remembered than those of Cher whose acting has been well-received from the very beginning and even got her an Oscar.

I live Cher's filmography more than Madonna's though. "The Witches of Eastwick" was amazing.

Just now, Sycamore said:

I live Cher's filmography more than Madonna's though. "The Witches of Eastwick" was amazing.

me too, I just love Madonna's "icon" more.

Reality

She's a great actress, but there's definitely always room for improvement. She definitely got better as AHS: Hotel went on, but The Countess was a relatively easier character to pull off than others, but again, that's relative. 

I hope that she continues her acting career though, and by the looks of it, she will. It'd be nice to not only know her as a musician and advocate, but an actress as well :flutter:

🃏🖤👹

djBuffoon

Using Jennifer Hudson as an example made me w bit nervous. Oscar or no Oscar, her acting in Dreamgirls was some of the most uninspired I've ever seen. Her performances of the songs were a different story.

As for Gaga, I hope that she gets an acting coach. Her performance in Hotel was very impressive throughout, although I could tell she was bursting with ideas that were limited by the role itself. A coach would allow her to tap into all of her potential, of which she has a lot.

Then again, Bradley being a highly trained actor himself, I'm sure he won't settle for mediocrity. 

Luke78619

Her acting at the beginning of AHS was... :awkney:

but she definitely got better throughout the season

i especially love her in the part where she slaps Mr March in the face telling him construction must be completed by something something.... I would look for it but, meh :classy:

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

Archived