Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why is there a scorpion on the 'Venus' single cover art?

ReidOne

Featured Posts

ReidOne

I'd never really questioned why Gaga is wearing a scorpion on her face for the 'Venus' single cover art, but today I googled "Venus scorpion" and I believe I found the answer... Apparently, there is a decades-old rumor that a "scorpion-like" creature is the only living species on the planet Venus. 

One of the things I love most about Gaga's song "Venus" is how she intertwines the Greek/Roman mythology with space & planets. So this is perfect, to me! 

Apologies if this is already widely known, but it is news to me! :D

maxresdefault.jpg

20rpsy.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haroon

Wow cool :omg: I'd kinda assumed it was random and kooky but loved it nonetheless :laughga: Thanks for this though, it's always nice to realise that extra thing that enlightens you and makes you appreciate it even more :nick: 

ReidOne
3 minutes ago, Skai Jackson said:

It's in reference to Marina Abromovic, actually. Nice find, though!

http://studioart2014.blogspot.com/2014/04/marina-abramovic-portrait-with-scorpion.html

OMG --- even better!! Thank you! She's simultaneously giving homage to her ARTPOP muse (Marina) & tapping into Venus planetary alien theories. In this pic, she is literally giving us "scorpoins on Venus" ... Absolutely brilliant!! 

It's actually a sign reference. Her Venus is on Scorpio meaning she is very sexual (People born with Venus in Scorpio will place a very high importance on sex in their lives.  They can be incredibly sexually magnetic.  They are always a little dark and mysterious and maybe a little scary.) - and that's what the song is all about. But really nice find.

Andrew Warhola

I thought it was because scorpions are venomous

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

ReidOne
Just now, ghs said:

It's actually a sign reference. Her Venus is on Scorpio meaning she is very sexual (People born with Venus in Scorpio will place a very high importance on sex in their lives.  They can be incredibly sexually magnetic.  They are always a little dark and mysterious and maybe a little scary.) - and that's what the song is all about. But really nice find.

I wondered if there was an astrology tie-in as well... Thanks for this! I think we are all right. I believe she's intended for it to reference all these things. 

KyliesChild
1 minute ago, ghs said:

I didn't know this either! 

Yes, that's just a theory as well so who knows. The thing is the ARTPOP era was surrounded with astrology/mythological references. Even the dates the singles were released and how mercury would be in retrograde and such.

crisTEAne

i already love this thread. keep them interpretations coming, little ARTPOPists. :flutter: 

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Stephen

I always figured it was just a Marina reference nice find! I'm more confused about the bat though!

VENUS_-_Cover_003.jpeg

KyliesChild

This is one of my favorite photos to come out of the ARTPOP era. It can mean anything (intentional ARTPOP song reference). :green:

mariomania1234

The venus covers are SO good. I love how odd they all are.

You can tell she really had that single era very thought out. 

crisTEAne
4 minutes ago, Steve Nasty said:

I always figured it was just a Marina reference nice find! I'm more confused about the bat though!

VENUS_-_Cover_003.jpeg

the only thing i could find: http://www.mantleplumes.org/Venus_BAT.html

jazz art pop punk actress fashion magazine editor columnist and geologist :poot:

if you hurt taylor swift, i'll hurt you back

Archived