Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Is SXSW make or break for Gaga?

Squidward T

Featured Posts

thefamebitch

No. Not everything she does after a break is "make or break" she's not going anywhere at all. She has a tour to start that's already showing great potential to be a big success so we can all stop acting like she's over. She's not.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elizabeth

Its definitely not make or break whatsoever. I don't really understand how it could be seen as that? 

Battle 4 Ur Life

WHAT? No...it's just a promo festival...it's not even a real concert. But of course, if she plays the right cards she can get A LOT of attention from it...and it could lead to good things, like a successful next single. Then she would be even MORE famous...so in a way it kinda is...but even if she puked on stage and fell on top of it, it wouldn't affect her career that much...

"We own the Downtown, hear our sound."

President Trump

as bad as it sounds im just not sure if anybody will go to her stage

Ma ma pa pa pa

scheiBist

Hold up.  The first stage was one set up for the festival only. They moved her to be in an actual venue instead of a make shift stage set up for a few days only.  SXSW stage size doesn't have much to do with a performers "Popularity" as much as it does providing a group of attendees with an unforgettable experience. It's about the music, not the bling, in most cases.  Yes, 2,500 people is the capacity of Stubbs, and it's really one of the larger venues in Austin, until you skip to the places she would normally tour at that hold hundreds of thousands-those places are not used for performances like this during SXSW week. 

This isn't a festival like the ones you are used to.  This is the entire downtown of Austin participating at every possible venue, from museums to parks, to small bars to BBQ joints. It's an entire downtown taken over by more than 2,000 musical acts, on top of the other parts of SXSW like film. 

For those of you calling it a small, pointless festival, check yo'self with these facts: 

Twitter was introduced at SXSW

People discovered or broken into mainstream at SXSW: Hanson, John Mayer, James Blunt, Janelle Monae, Best Coast, The White Stripes, Veruca Salt, Polyphonic Spree

thousands of performances in just the music festival at more than 100 venues

What happens at South By heavily influences the music, film, TV, gaming and other cultures.  Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean that everyone and their Mama isn't here and it isn't influential for someone's career. 

That said, do I think the SXSW performance could make or break Gaga's career? No. Not any more than Bruce Springstien or Metallica or Public Enemy's careers were changed. It can definitely open up a new audience, bring a lot to the town/festival, but these acts are already huge-they are not gaining what most of the other performers in the festival are. 

However, Gaga's performance and speech will be highly judged and talked about because there hasn't been a woman key note speaker since the 1990's and she is the first pop culture icon to be in this position.  Many people want her to fail just because she's a woman in the pop industry and many music snobs automatically judge that to be worthless, judge it to be someone who is puppeteered by an industry.  So, though it may not make or break her, it will certainly be the talk of the festival, highly watched and scrutinized and could damage/improve how the general non-Gaga crazed public and industry looks at her. 

Gaga will do fine; she's a grade A performer and a stellar speech giver. I've got no worry for Gagz, I just need to get into this show!

Thank you for giving us the  :tea:  on SXSW. To think Twitter was just the apple of someone's eye before it showed up to this festival.

Slade

Absolutely not. It's great promo, and I'm sure it will get some buzz from media that do articles on the festival...but it's not like it's a make or break performance. She's not even close to having a make or break moment, she's fine. She just doesn't have anything happening right now for the public to experience.

I do think it's a great chance to start the 3rd single era, though.

Michelle

as bad as it sounds im just not sure if anybody will go to her stage

This is just obsurd.I mean really? you believe that?

Lets go take a howl at that moon🌙 -Crowley

Stef

Nope, gal just wants to let her wig down and enjoy :Whitney:

Signature loading… 👹🖤

Smooth Criminal

Yes. I pass through many strangers and many of the things I heard were, "Did you hear Lady Gaga is coming?" or "Dude, we need to get into that Gaga show!"

Austin betta stan!  :worship:

Little7Monster

It's not "make or break", but she has an opportunity to win over new fans that may not have noticed her music before. The audience will likely be Gaga fans, random people, and SXSW attendees who just stop by to see what she is about. It is a good opportunity, but I don't think it will help or hurt her, though there is a good opportunity to help her some. SXSW is a big deal, but it's not huge deal that will be a career highlight (unless she does something crazy).

LibraLove

Hold up.  The first stage was one set up for the festival only. They moved her to be in an actual venue instead of a make shift stage set up for a few days only.  SXSW stage size doesn't have much to do with a performers "Popularity" as much as it does providing a group of attendees with an unforgettable experience. It's about the music, not the bling, in most cases.  Yes, 2,500 people is the capacity of Stubbs, and it's really one of the larger venues in Austin, until you skip to the places she would normally tour at that hold hundreds of thousands-those places are not used for performances like this during SXSW week. 

This isn't a festival like the ones you are used to.  This is the entire downtown of Austin participating at every possible venue, from museums to parks, to small bars to BBQ joints. It's an entire downtown taken over by more than 2,000 musical acts, on top of the other parts of SXSW like film. 

For those of you calling it a small, pointless festival, check yo'self with these facts: 

Twitter was introduced at SXSW

People discovered or broken into mainstream at SXSW: Hanson, John Mayer, James Blunt, Janelle Monae, Best Coast, The White Stripes, Veruca Salt, Polyphonic Spree

thousands of performances in just the music festival at more than 100 venues

What happens at South By heavily influences the music, film, TV, gaming and other cultures.  Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean that everyone and their Mama isn't here and it isn't influential for someone's career. 

That said, do I think the SXSW performance could make or break Gaga's career? No. Not any more than Bruce Springstien or Metallica or Public Enemy's careers were changed. It can definitely open up a new audience, bring a lot to the town/festival, but these acts are already huge-they are not gaining what most of the other performers in the festival are. 

However, Gaga's performance and speech will be highly judged and talked about because there hasn't been a woman key note speaker since the 1990's and she is the first pop culture icon to be in this position.  Many people want her to fail just because she's a woman in the pop industry and many music snobs automatically judge that to be worthless, judge it to be someone who is puppeteered by an industry.  So, though it may not make or break her, it will certainly be the talk of the festival, highly watched and scrutinized and could damage/improve how the general non-Gaga crazed public and industry looks at her. 

Gaga will do fine; she's a grade A performer and a stellar speech giver. I've got no worry for Gagz, I just need to get into this show!

How do you get tickets for the show???

Galactastica

How do you get tickets for the show???

they are proving very hard/tricky to get, but there are 2 ways:

if you have a festival wristbad or badge, you can show up to a predetermind location today or yesterday annd have yours scanned. that puts you in a drawing for tickets that will be done tomorrow.

OR you can complete one of Doritos Bold Missions-looks like you wont need a badge/wristband, but there are a LOT of people going for both.

giskardsb

Really? That's the upgraded capacity from what they were planning on giving her? How unpopular did they think she was to even consider putting her on a stage that would hold fewer? 

Is this ALL of the people there or just for the stage area she'll be performing at?

the problem with the original venue was it was outdoors in a parking lot with no way to control overflow fans trying to crowd the gates and get in even if the area was cordoned off.  Stubbs doesn't have that problem.

Archived