Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

ARTPOP Discussion & Info Database 1-4-2012 thru 7-11-2013

SMILE2NE1

Featured Posts

The tour timing made sense... gaga wanted the tour to speak for itself... so to do it while promoting singles would be silly.

It would have made sense if the singles were successful. I think, it became clear, that they won't be after the announcement of the 4th single, You and I (ehh...) back in the summer of 2011. Why she had to wait till May, 2012 to start the tour..? I still don't understand.

misanthrope

It would have made sense if the singles were successful. I think, it became clear, that they won't be after the announcement of the 4th single, You and I (ehh...) back in the summer of 2011. Why she had to wait till May, 2012 to start the tour..? I still don't understand.

Anyone else would have sensibly started the tour earlier. But she of COURSE has to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. I love her so i dont want to be scrutinized for this. I just dont think she was very smart during the btw-era in terms of selling herself and her image

Anyone else would have sensibly started the tour earlier. But she of COURSE has to be contrary for the sake of being contrary. I love her so i dont want to be scrutinized for this. I just dont think she was very smart during the btw-era in terms of selling herself and her image

Exactly. Those, who say that the BTW era was a "mess" are actually right. I loved the album, I do think, that it is one of the best pop records of all, but after the lead single came out, it seemed like everything just went wrong. The promotion and the artwork of the album, the single choices, music videos, and now this tour... I just think, that during this whole era, Gaga wanted to be different in a way, that she wouldn't need to be different, comparing to other acts in music.

misanthrope

Exactly. Those, who say that the BTW era was a "mess" are actually right. I loved the album, I do think, that it is one of the best pop records of all, but after the lead single came out, it seemed like everything just went wrong. The promotion and the artwork of the album, the single choices, music videos, and now this tour... I just think, that during this whole era, Gaga wanted to be different in a way, that she wouldn't need to be different, comparing to other acts in music.

I agree with you, i genuinely like the album. It was a frequent play for my friends and i for like a year. But the singles, the videos, most of her performances...it was just so all over the place and in a way that wasnt really all that cool in my opinion. Everything was kind of a mess except for the album itself. Which is what sucks the most because theres songs that i thought couldve made her shine that didnt get chosen, i honestly believe the single choices are what killed the era above all. Starting with Born This Way as the lead.

With ARTPOP, based upon her descriptions of the album, i doubt it will be a repeat of the bittersweet btw era. I think she knows most of us arent here for that

Edited by misanthrope

BigDreamer

I really think that the music videos were a strength during BTW. MTN was a little lengthy in its entirety and TEOG really should have had the proper and initially planned video but I really like the videos we got for the era. Judas is one of my favorites for sure. I do agree with the rest though.

I always find it interesting that I always seem to be the only one who absolutely loves TEOG video. It's so simple and free, and that's what makes it so beautiful to me. It doesn't need all the special effects to make it great. Just Gaga being herself and Clarence jamming on the sax. I think in it's on way, it's epic.

We're all Stronger Together!

I agree with you, i genuinely like the album. It was a frequent play for my friends and i for like a year. But the singles, the videos, most of her performances...it was just so all over the place and in a way that wasnt really all that cool in my opinion. Everything was kind of a mess except for the album itself. Which is what sucks the most because theres songs that i thought couldve made her shine that didnt get chosen, i honestly believe the single choices are what killed the era above all. Starting with Born This Way as the lead.

With ARTPOP, based upon her descriptions of the album, i doubt it will be a repeat of the bittersweet btw era. I think she knows most of us arent here for that

I believe, that Gaga and her team are really aware of these mistakes, and they won't do it again with ARTPOP. At least I hope.

Anyways, what songs do you think could make Gagz shine? What did you choose for the lead single?

misanthrope

I always find it interesting that I always seem to be the only one who absolutely loves TEOG video. It's so simple and free, and that's what makes it so beautiful to me. It doesn't need all the special effects to make it great. Just Gaga being herself and Clarence jamming on the sax. I think in it's on way, it's epic.

I definitely liked and appreciated the idea of it being a simple gaga video for once. But (1) it felt unfinished, like half of it was bad shots of her on that balcony in NYC covered by fog with hair in her face (2) of all songs for her to go simple she chooses the most epic of all her singles? Idk lol

misanthrope

I believe, that Gaga and her team are really aware of these mistakes, and they won't do it again with ARTPOP. At least I hope.

Anyways, what songs do you think could make Gagz shine? What did you choose for the lead single?

Im terrible at choosing an order for them. So ill just tell you which songs were better in my opinion (youd think itd be obvious that its my opinion but i have to put that disclaimer because people get annoyed with my arrogance lol): sheisse, marry the night, government hooker, heavy metal lover. I thought The Edge of Glory was a good song but i always found it to be polarizing. It sounds so dated. And i know marry the night was a single but i thought that it was the only one that had any potential of doing well on the charts. But placing it after such obvious clunkers like you and i, judas, and born this way killed any chance it had at being successful.

ARTPOP seems like itll be a lot lighter which i can appreciate. As much as i like born this way i feel like it was a little heavy on the corny love yourself anthems.

Should we message eachother privately? I feel like were clogging up this thread with offtopic born this way talk lol

Edited by misanthrope

I definitely liked and appreciated the idea of it being a simple gaga video for once. But (1) it felt unfinished, like half of it was bad shots of her on that balcony in NYC covered by fog with hair in her face (2) of all songs for her to go simple she chooses the most epic of all her singles? Idk lol

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Thats exactly what I thought about it when I saw it. I felt it was a huge let down, being that it's my favorite Gaga song. But after a while I just saw it for what it was. Yeah, it's not technically perfect, but neither was her life growing up in New York. But inside that imperfection there was still beauty. I know I'm sounding really preachy, but that's the best way I can describe my feelings about it. When I watch it, it's like I can just see her love for what she's doing in her eyes and dancing. The video reminds me of the times I have with my best friends just being wild and ourselves. I don't know lol. I guess I just see myself in it, and I love the simple freedom in it. It just feels so real to me. Oh well :oops:
We're all Stronger Together!

Born This Way was Gaga's most artistically rigorous "era" yet, but it was not her easiest or most palatable. Something breezy like Telephone-ga is an easy sell. Or The Fame-ga's simple party tunes (even though she was parodying this stuff at the same time she celebrated it). But during BTW she decided to use religious metaphors, wear facial prosthetics and gaping moles, and talked about alien birth, and made a tortured autobiography. Not the easiest journey to take, but I firmly believe her most thoughtful and rewarding. The only part of the BTW ere that was actually messy was 1) the promotion/release of the singles 2) TEOG video. The rest of it, especially on an artistic/aesthetic level, was firing on all cylinders for me.

I'm most terrified that she'll have let some of the public reaction to this era throw her off her game with ARTPOP. Motorcyclega is torn apart (despite being the greatest album cover anybody's released in...years), so will she back down and comeback with some lame-ass headshot? That's the kind of crap I just hope doesn't happen.

Edited by kupo

I really think that the music videos were a strength during BTW. MTN was a little lengthy in its entirety and TEOG really should have had the proper and initially planned video but I really like the videos we got for the era. Judas is one of my favorites for sure. I do agree with the rest though.

Yes, they were not the main problems during the era, and I think every single one of them is much better than any music videos released that year by other artists.

BUT. With BTW and Judas video, I felt that Gaga wanted to say much much more than a 7 or 5 minutes long music video could contain. They became messy and well.. complicated for me. I like the simplicity of TEOG video, I just expected so much more because of the hype around it. It really felt it was shot in a rush and for THAT special song I really would have made an EPIC music video. You and I was my favourite one, but by the time it was released, the song became so boring to me (because it was played everywhere for so many months then), that I couldn't watch it more than a couple times, because I was sick of the song. :D I loved Marry the night, but it really was a fcking long video. I don't care about that very much, but it really did not help the success of the single, because most of the people (and I'm talking about GP) just don't have 15 minutes to watch a music video. So, yes, I felt it was kinda unfortunate, too.

Ursula Buffay

Am I the only one that thinks that it does sound like Gaga?

Yes baby :hor:

1300 pages and we still don't know a sh*t about ARTPOP, except that it's gonna be called ARTPOP :pressed: