💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

What are the concepts of ARTPOP? Where is the soul?

Yoshi

Featured Posts

The closest to a definition that I can get to is that it's about removing barriers. Taking two separate things and making them whole. For the music, it's bringing the experimental and the mainstream/popular together. But I don't find most of the songs to be very experimental, and the album isn't very popular at the moment, so that didn't quite work out the way it should've. The opener, Aura, is about the barrier of the burqa blocking out a man, but then being raised up so the man and the woman can be together. Venus is about spreading love to bring people together. Sexxx Dreams is removing the barrier between dreams and reality. Mary Jane Holland is about removing the barrier between being famous and being a normal person (because Gaga said she put on a brown wig and called herself Mary Jane Holland while in Amsterdam, and loved it because no one knew who she was). Gypsy is about removing the barriers of countries and their borders. 

But the weirdest thing is that the album ends on Applause. It's a great song. But thematically...it's just enforcing the idea of a barrier between the performer and the audience. Only the audience claps, not the performer. The audience members aren't active participants when they're clapping, they're just passive observers. And that's just one example of many that show how many contradictions there are in this album...but the removing barriers idea is the most cohesive idea that I've found so far, even though it still has holes in it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats not defined enough. by your logic it could be about breeding dogs

Ok, so Gaga said that this album is very personal right? She wants to take you behind the veil. This is pure logic about what her point is, has always been. what she's always been doing is making personal pop music with a vision based on art. All of the clothes she's worn is artistic. It makes people think, and many people think it's pointless and ugly and weird, but after time we will all see it's value. Music is releatable but we have different interpretations. And that is the art, it could mean anything.

ARTPOP could mean anything

And it's about adrenalines

And about ART and Koons

And about POP and the media

And the fans and her belonging, so ART and POP must belong, too.

That's what she sais yeah. But I personally can't get it, it's like reading an essay with random points supporting some unclear idea.

Ambrosia

Ask her at one of her Meet and Greets.  :flop:   Or ask her the next time she gets on Skype - that's even better.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

HausOfMiklaus

Well, since you asked.

• Renaissance art

• Vices and addiction

• Greek/Roman mythology

• Technology

• Rebirth and metamorphosis

• Sexual exploration

• FEMINISM

• Sculpture art, the idea of being "immortalized"

• Powerplay and control in terms of s-x

• Pitfalls of fame: abuse, lack of privacy, too much creative noise, bad reputations, being away from loved ones, need for the applause (hee)

• Astronomy :derpga:

• Exploration of various musical genres

• Dichotomy of love and s-x

Et cetera. The point is, critics are lazy and narrow. Only us fans have the potential to appreciate her in a transcendent way.

juicyjuicy

I don't think anyone knows. I think when it started off she had a clearer idea but it has completely got lost along the way. I mean she was still choosing the songs that made the final cut not long before the album came out so they must have just chucked whatever they thought was best on there.

People can say "it's more than the music, it's a whole project" etc... But please tell me what it all means then? The album is obviously the definitive center-piece of the 'project', and thematically it's pretty incoherent.

It's a very good pop album and she shows her versatility etc but at the same time it is pretty incoherent.

However I do think most people should cut her some slack. Yeah it isn't really what she tries to make it out to be, but it still ****s on virtually all other mainstream pop artists' latest releases (imo). What she says shouldn't affect your view of it.

OMG THIS MADE MY LIFE

YES THIS

bookmark, highlight, framing this on my wall, etc

Ok, so Gaga said that this album is very personal right? She wants to take you behind the veil. This is pure logic about what her point is, has always been. what she's always been doing is making personal pop music with a vision based on art. All of the clothes she's worn is artistic. It makes people think, and many people think it's pointless and ugly and weird, but after time we will all see it's value. Music is releatable but we have different interpretations. And that is the art, it could mean anything.

:duck:

But the point is she shouldn't have to explain it to us. We should be able to understand what the album is about just from listening to it. Would you apply this kind of theory to a Katy Perry or Rihanna album? I doubt it. I think it's very good but people need to stop making out like ARTPOP is some kind of groundbreaking album because it isn't. TFM and BTW were much stronger as coherent bodies of work and we need to stop denying that ARTPOP is on that level. (I specifically mean coherently and thematically, not 'better' overall, that's obviously subjective)

Outside of the album the art has been stronger i.e. her work with Koons, Abramovic, Wilson, her painting etc but it's not on the album. If anyone's gonna listen to songs lke J&D and Sexxx Dreams and try to tell me it's interesting and thought provoking etc, it's not really. It's just fun and good music.

With the kind of logic you guys are throwing around we could go and make a Pitbull album look like the new Sgt Peppers or something lol

Schwerk

All the ARTPOP songs are ADRENALINES

:yes: 

Yup, that's how Gaga herself explained it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Voaj0xzpc

To me the main theme is s-x

s-x, love and fun.

Don't forget this album was created during a time she was madly in love, drank quite a bit and was high most of the time.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

:duck:

But the point is she shouldn't have to explain it to us. We should be able to understand what the album is about just from listening to it. Would you apply this kind of theory to a Katy Perry or Rihanna album? I doubt it. I think it's very good but people need to stop making out like ARTPOP is some kind of groundbreaking album because it isn't. TFM and BTW were much stronger as coherent bodies of work and we need to stop denying that ARTPOP is on that level. (I specifically mean coherently and thematically, not 'better' overall, that's obviously subjective)

Outside of the album the art has been stronger i.e. her work with Koons, Abramovic, Wilson, her painting etc but it's not on the album. If anyone's gonna listen to songs lke J&D and Sexxx Dreams and try to tell me it's interesting and thought provoking etc, it's not really. It's just fun and good music.

With the kind of logic you guys are throwing around we could go and make a Pitbull album look like the new Sgt Peppers or something lol

I love ARTPOP. I feel a spiritual change when I listen to it. Whenever I listen to a song from ARTPOP I always imagine myself being the suparstar, me performing it on award shows etc.. It inspires me to become and artist. Let's appreciate our talents once and for all. Free my mind ARTPOP.

Scarlet Witch

It's about anything and possibilities, but tbh, it just means nothing. Therefore, ARTPOP has got no concept. 

J e s s e

Bringing art and string cheese together.

:deadbanana:

"They have as much in common as dinosaurs and goldfish: the cracker kind!" - Penelope Garcia

Forbidden love, hidden love, submissive love, alien love, shallow love, materialistic love, love for your family, love of sin, love of fashion, love of applause, protecting your love, begging your loved ones for forgiveness, gypsy love

Love and pleasure are a very common string. It's not in all of them, but don't act like it's not relatable back to her concepts of art and personal messages throughout the ARTPOP era.

Also, don't assume that ARTPOP doesn't have a soul, because it may very well have one to her. This is a question of how well Gaga is at executing her ideas rather than whether or not she has them because she definitely does.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived