💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

"The Atlantic" Early ARTPOP Review

gagabro

Featured Posts

Ahead of ARTPOP’s release, a lot of media coverage centered on a perceived rivalry between Gaga and Katy Perry, who both happened to be releasing their third major albums around the same time. Listening to ARTPOP makes that rivalry seem both silly and kind of important. Silly because the two women are entirely different: Perry’s Prism shows off a superstar choosing to tone down her personality and offer a grab bag of fashionable sounds to reach the widest audience possible. ARTPOP sees Gaga going harder, louder, funnierâ€â€more extremeâ€â€in the hopes of selling millions. The distinction is important because a lot of people look at pop music as uniform and soulless. While Prism could have been made by anyone, ARTPOP is unmistakably a Gaga creation. It may not be quite as incredible as Gaga thinks it is, and its excesses will turn a lot of people away, but it's nevertheless big, dumb pop music with a person behind itâ€â€a person that unapologetically, desperately craves to be loved.

"The Atlantic" is a major American publication.

Overall: mixed but positive, doesn't give a star rating yet (I assume they'll do that in a later article)

Read the full article here: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/11/lady-gagas-em-ARTPOP-em-is-an-attention-freaks-manifesto/281103/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that mixed really. Somehow good first impression IMO.

I said 'mixed' because the reviewer doesn't seem to know how they feel yet... so they weren't outright positive.

I agree the part in bold is completely true. I'm still let down by Prism.

ARTPOP totally is Gaga, through and through. Even if there are a couple on there I'm not a fan of, the rest is great.

I said 'mixed' because the reviewer doesn't seem to know how they feel yet... so they weren't outright positive.

You're right. It's like general thoughts about it, what he thinks listeners of the album would think

It may not be quite as incredible as Gaga thinks it is, and its excesses will turn a lot of people away, but it's nevertheless big, dumb pop music with a person behind itâ€â€a person that unapologetically, desperately craves to be loved.

:wtf:

If you use dumb and Gaga (and her songs) in the same sentence it reveals more about your puny mind's inability to dig deeper than the surface in any way. People should know by now that her songs are as conceptual yet deeply personal, rich and layered as they come.

its the first review and its not a even a full review its like a first thought

Yeah, I'm glad the writer is separating their first listen from their real review. I feel like so many writers base reviews off first listens, which are often very different than how they feel about an album down the line. 

Looking forward to their full review this week! (Hopefully it stays overall positive!)

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived