💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Official Review ARTPOP Track-by-Track thread.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

MelbHawker

Yes I know there are threads that ask you to rate the songs, but I'm yet to find a thread that asks for track-by-track word reviews - so here it is. I want people's thoughts about the songs before they read reviews of music websites, critics etc. Make it as long as you want. I'll start. (And yes.. I caved and dl'd it because the hype was too much for me to handle!)

1. Aura - 9/10.
I'll admit.. I thought we'd get a totally re-worked version of the 'demo' song - turns out we didn't but I actually love it. The intro is totally symbolic of what she wanted to do with ARTPOP. I love the weird, arrogant-sounding, lazy-but-totally-genius delivery of the verses. I believe Aura contains the most epic chorus on the album. It's orgasmic. The song's unique in the sense that it leads to a sort-of 'shocking' climax when she sings 'buuurqaaaaa' at the end just before that absolutely flawless drop that Zedd destroys careers with. As soon as she sings it.. it's like.. 'ooooh she went there'. Fun, provocative, controversial. I love it.
2. Venus -  7/10.
Firstly, Gaga producing it by herself was really pleasing to see. But. Hot mess. I love the opening verses. Euphoric. And the sudden change into the 'I can't help the way I'm feeeelin' works. It's euphoric. The hook that follows it underwhelmed me; it didn't match the euphoria of the first 2 'parts' of the song. It doesn't ruin the song because the chorus that follows it is totally amazing.. it's so good that like.. I cry every time I hear it. The bridge is fun.. but like.. a dumb kind of fun that I could do without. The final chorus could've done with some extra, louder vocals as well just to really end the song on another level.
3. G.U.Y - 10/10.
One of her most brilliant songs to date. It's the sort of show-stopping sh*t I've come to expect from her (the introduction... so hot!). This is why I love her. The melodies are infectious, the chorus is just... it hits you like a tonne of bricks, those synths are so rough but so good. I appreciate the auto-tune used in the song as well. It feels right. It sounds right. Definitely single-material. Huge song. An album highlight.
4. Sexxx Dreams - 8.5/10.
This was my most anticipated track on the album. It didn't disappoint! The only thing that irked me slightly was the auto-tuned vocals in the verses.. she can sing DJWS, no need to make her vocals that flat. Also the addition of the 'you-were-in-my' weren't necessary in the first 2 choruses - I would've given the song a perfect 10 had those extra vocals appeared in the final chorus of the song. 
5. Jewels & Drugs - 6/10.
Part of me thinks it's a mess - but whenever I hear her sing 'slap hunnny on yo' pancake, we know how to make that muhnaaay' I can't help but like.. fall to the ground because it feels so good. I guess it feels a little out-of-place on a Gaga album, which is most likely what'll be said about this song by people in future.
6. MANiCURE - 5/10.
The verses are crazy good. But... why did they absolutely butcher the chorus? It's so underwhelming. The 'heeeeal mee' part was my favourite thing about this song. Hearing it as the bridge was so underwhelming. The outro does nothing for me either. The first disappointment of the album for me personally. Total mess. It's a filler.
7. Do What U Want - 10/10.
Flawless. I really love this side to Gaga. One of her best songs to date. R. Kelly is incredible on it. It's infectuous, it's cleverly written.. and both Gaga and R.Kelly's vocals are on-point. They just compliment each other so well. DJWS out-did himself on this one. I hope this song takes off for Gaga and becomes her next smash. It's brilliant. Her Tina Turner-esque growls at the end... perfection. Another album highlight.
8. ARTPOP - 8/10. 
It's well-placed on the album. It's such a relaxed song. The violins sound incredible. I love the subtle Michael Jackson reference with the 'hee-hee's' - I just wish they were a little louder. The bridge is so relaxing. It's such a mesmerising song. It's so dreamy. The outro is perfect. Amazing. (I'd love for this to be the final single from this album)
9. Swine - 6/10.
Underwhelming. I do not like the auto-tuned vocals all that much. I was looking forward to the totally fierce vocals we heard during the live version - the song is less intense that I had hoped it would be. The synth work is really great, but it's not as loud and disgusting as it should be.

10. Donatella - 9.5/10.

This will go down as one of my favourite Gaga songs. The stupidity of some of the lyrics totally reflect how ridiculous it can get in the fashion industry, and for the wealthy who lose themselves in their money. The introduction is perfect. The chorus... damn. Zedd's productions are the best on this album. Definitely single material. Album highlight.

11. Fashion! - 2/10.
It's just a song that does absolutely nothing for me. It goes nowhere. This song exemplifies what the word 'filler' means. Surely there was a better song out of the 70 she had for this album..
12. Mary Jane Holland - 9.5/10.
I can't stop listening to it. It's wild. It's so fun to sing along to. I love that slow, thrashing beat Madeon's created. The bridge is insane. It's controversial... it totally glorifies weed, but I love it. Sure to become a fan-favourite. 
13. Dope - 6/10.
I prefer 'I Wanna Be With You'. This song is a very deep song for Gaga, and I totally respect her decision to put something this personal out there. It's just.. underwhelming. There was something so romantic the way she sung 'I'd write hit songs about you..' in the previous version. I like the really slurry vocals throughout the song - it sounds very authentic and raw but I can't help but wish the version we heard previously is what was put on the album. 
14. Gypsy - 7/10.
I find the instrumental to be a little 'corny' to be honest. Lyrically and melodically, I adore this song. It's so beautiful and uplifting. It's so literal when you imagine Gaga's life, but at the same time so romanticised. It's a sweet song, and each time I listen to it I find myself enjoying more than the previous time. I love the listing of the countries at the end. I'd say this is extremely radio-friendly. 
15. Applause - 9.5/10.
I love that Applause is the final song of the album. I love the song.

There you have it. I want to read people's thoughts on each track! Spill bb's. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MelbHawker

Didn't read because Fashion! 2/10 :nails:

Gurl if you saw Fashion 2/10 you must have read a little bit.  :fan:

I don't agree

For me the 10s are GUY, Gypsy, MJH and Dope but nice, well elaborated review :clap:

But you are totally right about former Slaycure

Ladey Gagz

I agree with alot of parts but MANiCURE being a filler? :messga: I too want the Heal me part back in the chorus but still... to consider it as a filler is just too harsh. It's still an AMAZING song imo.

Gurl if you saw Fashion 2/10 you must have read a little bit. :fan:

:lmao:

This review basically shows why most of you shouldn't have listened to Swinefest too much.... You basically gave most of the Swinefest songs bad marks... You should wait some more because the new ones will obviously sound better at first.

SEVDALIZA

01. Aura - 10/10

Perf

02. Venus - 10/10

Perf

03. G.U.Y- 10/10

Perf

04. Sexxx Dreams - 10/10

Perf

05. Jewels & Drugs- 10/10

Perf

06. MANiCURE - 10/10

Perf

07. Do What U Want - 10/10

Perf

08. ARTPOP - 10/10

Perf

09. Swine - 10/10

Perf

10. Donatella - 10/10

Perf

11. Fashion! - 10/10

Perf

12. Mary Jane Holland - 10/10

Perf

13. Dope - 10/10

Perf

14. Gypsy - 10/10

Perf

15. Applause - 10/10

Perf

Album of the millennium.

tumblr_m1bmjzIVom1r8cxk1o1_500.gif

operating from another world

Evan Peters

Did you seriously just hate on MANiCURE?

Filler? 

ibgRBC4V3vlpRp.gif

emma roberts is an abuser

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived