đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

My review of the ARTPOP pre-listening party in Berlin (track by track)

BornSimon

Featured Posts

BornSimon

Thank you so much for this :runhug: it was a great read. I'm excited about Donatella and worried about Fashion! and MJH since that weed song is my most anticipated track :fat:

You shouldn't be worried. At the end of the day reviews represent one person's opinion, you might think Donatella is **** and Fashion! is the best song on the album. :P I honestly don't think there's one bad song on the record. Donatella was the most surprisingly impressive one, MJH was the most surprising sound-wise because I expected it to be completely different.

Please tell me the breakdown wasn't cut from J&D.?

The song is basically the same as the live version but I don't remember hearing the DJWS breakdown, I'm sorry. :noparty:

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! Glad you enjoyed my little review!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I promised myself not to read any review from the listening party, but I couldn't help it. Anyway, by the sound of it, Donatella is reminding me of HML in terms of reviews. I mean with their opening liners being remarkable, if not the most remarkable. My expectation for MJH has lowered down too. But anyway, I'm most excited about to hear Sexxx Dreams, Gypsy, and Swine - with two of them being part of my must-list for singles. Thanks for sharing this with us!

BornSimon

I promised myself not to read any review from the listening party, but I couldn't help it. Anyway, by the sound of it, Donatella is reminding me of HML in terms of reviews. I mean with their opening liners being remarkable, if not the most remarkable. My expectation for MJH has lowered down too. But anyway, I'm most excited about to hear Sexxx Dreams, Gypsy, and Swine - with two of them being part of my must-list for singles. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Aaah the epicness of "I want your whiskey mouth all over my blonde south"... :worship: Seeing Gaga lipsync Donatella's opening line was priceless. I don't think these reviews should spoil the fun for anyone though, as I said they are just personal opinions on songs that we have heard only once. I remember really liking Mary Jane Holland despite the fact that right now I don't remember much about it apart from her dramatic face when she mimed "When I ignite the flames & put you in my mouth. The grass heats up my insides & my brunette starts to sprout", the fact that it has a very slow breakdown and then it starts off again. It is ALMOST mid-tempo.

thank you! really great and detailed review :hug:

Thank you for reading and commenting! :hug:

I wrote this review on some other forum, I'll just post it on here although I can't add much more to what my boyfriend already said! But just in case some of you might be interested:

Ok, this is predictable but... THE ALBUM IS ****ING AMAZING! She played the whole thing, from beginning to end, in the most amazingly creepy yet coolest club I've ever seen (the Berghain) and it was seriously incredible. I don't think I'm ever going to want to play that album unless I can play it at a club!

As soon as "Aura" started she left the stage and disappeared, which was quite disappointing. UNTIL, she popped up from the back and stood on top of some sort of podium filming us (like she did for the "Applause" lyric video, she actally filmed througout the whole album) and it was INSANE. We were literally partying with her! One of the most exciting experiences of my life, I swear, she was jumping like crazy and we all were as well.

Aaaaanyway, it's not easy to remember many details, it was all a bit too full-on and crazy to concentrate completely on the music. I'll try to do song by song, but it won't be easy!

Aura: It sounded as amazing as always but just much better :P That song was made to be played at a club. Didn't pay much attention to the new vocals, everyone was jumping and screaming, but yeah, that song is pretty much ****ing perfect.

Venus: I've listened to the snippet and all I can say is the full thing sounded MUCH better. Not sure if it's all down to the fact it was played in such an amazing place and extremely loud, but I remember ****ing loving it. It sounds very random and the music changes quite a bit through the song, a bit like in "Bad Romance". The clip that's been posted is the beginning of the song if I'm not wrong and I remember thinking the chorus was catchy.

G.U.Y.: One of my favourites without a doubt! I already loved the clip and the full song didn't disappoint at all. It sounds just as good, there's no boring part or anything.

Sexxx Dreams: It was great! The music wasn't different to the live version but there were some different lines in the song, like a complete new part right before the "I can't believe I'm telling you this..." part.

Jewels & Drugs: I didn't love the live version but dancing to it was fun! It sounds pretty strong and I don't think it was much different to the live version, although the DWS breakdown isn't there if I'm not wrong!

MANiCURE: I'm hopeless I guess, I thought it sounded like the live version but when the whole thing was over a friend told me it wasn't! Simone's telling me it sounded more powerful and more electronic than the live version.

Do What U Want: -

ARTPOP: Ok, I really enjoyed it at the iTunes festival but I think the album version was just incredible (I really need to learn more positive adjectives! She said during the Q&A that this song is meant to be a bit hypnotic and there's no better way to describe it in my opinion.

Swine: This was my favourite at the iTunes festival and I'm happy to say it's as amazing as it was live if not better! The whole squealing she did live is not there, or at least not as much, but it does sound ****ing amazing. Sadly the slow party in the beginning is missing in the studio version, I thought it was great but it's not there.

Donatella: The brief spoken part in the beginning of this song is going to make all us gays go weak at the knees: "I'm blonde, I'm skinny, I'm rich and I'm a little bit of a b---h". That was beyond fierce! The song was great but I really can't remember much about it, but it was definitely one of the highlights to me.

Fashion!: This was probably my least favourite song on the album, but I'm not surprised since it's produced by will.i.am and David Guetta :P Although I have to say it doesn't sound like any song any of the two have done before. Sorry but that's all I can say about this one!

Mary Jane Holland: The last part of the album started getting a bit confusing, the crowd was too loud and it's all a bit of a blur now, but I remember loving this one although I can't really describe it.

Dope: The live version ("I Wanna Be With You") was quite insipid, but the studio version is really good! The lyrics are very different to the version she performed at the iTunes Festival, it now says "but I need you more than dope" instead of "I wanna be with you". It sounded quite dramatic if I remember correctly, but quite stripped back, there wasn't a lot going on. Gaga and her make-up artist, Tara, cried their eyes out during this one!

Gypsy: The album version is obviously COMPLETELY different to the live version she performed at the party, it starts slow and becomes a midtempo although the chorus gets faster if I'm not wrong.

Applause: -

That's all I can say about the songs! Sorry for the pointless review, but I really can't remember much more! :laugh: The album was quite Gaga and it flows really well, even "Dope" and "Jewels & Drugs" don't sound out of place in my opinion. I also think "Aura" opening the album and "Applause" closing it is a great decision!

And how hot did she look? Let me tell you, very! She was wearing the creepiest-looking contacts I've ever seen! We had a lot of eye contact (which was exciting as hell) and she looked intimidating :P Her ass is out of this World, I'm gay so I wouldn't do much to it, but I think I'm going to start carrying a picture of it in my wallet.

It was an amazing night! I'm still on a high, I was so overwhelmed I even got emotional at points! I'm such a *** :cry:

I'm loving these reviews omg

Thank you both for taking the time to write these beautiful reviews.

And people, to be fair, MJH, Fashion!, Gypsy etc were the last tracks of a 15 song spree inside a crazy club, obviously it will be hard to digest the songs after hearing 13 others so we'll have to hear them individually before bein dissapoibted about them. I too wouldnt pay that much attention to the last songs after jumping for 40 minutes to new songs.

Im sure they're all perfect, including MJH and fahion! :gaga:

Oh, I'm just visiting-

BornSimon

I'm loving these reviews omg

Thank you both for taking the time to write these beautiful reviews.

And people, to be fair, MJH, Fashion!, Gypsy etc were the last tracks of a 15 song spree inside a crazy club, obviously it will be hard to digest the songs after hearing 13 others so we'll have to hear them individually before bein dissapoibted about them. I too wouldnt pay that much attention to the last songs after jumping for 40 minutes to new songs.

Im sure they're all perfect, including MJH and fahion!

It's a pleasure to share these little memories with other fans, no need to thank me ;)

Exactly, it wasn't easy to focus on the music when Gaga was in front of us looking THAT hot and basically performing for us each and every song and interacting with the audience. It was so full on and exciting. Although by the end of the night you could feel the tiredom of the crowd, the cheering started getting weeker and weeker :P

You guys are going to LOVE this album. I promise.

how does gaga sing the venus bridge?

and thanks for these reviews! :)

Again, no problem at all!

I would say the bridge is the 2nd snippet she shared? I'm not 100% sure but I think it is.

gagalovesme

You have no idea how excited I am from reading your review, I feel like I'm going to explode! It sounds like you had a great time and thoroughly deserved to have the time of your life with gaga :)

I loved your review, really cool!

It is just awesome how everyone praises G.U.Y, I'll be in love with that song I just know it :party: :party: :party:

Does the album have an unique song, like Teeth on TFM and Heavy Metal Lover on BTW? You know, songs which are like nothing else, totally different.

CroatiaGeisha

would you mind answering quickly if s-xxx dreams' vocals changed substantially from the iTunes version during the verses?

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived