💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

glitterintheair

Just listened to Avicii's new album. I was surprised how good it was. It's a pity that so far, he's chosen some of the most generic songs to be singles and chosen the only bad one (You Make Me) as the second single, which is due for release on Sunday. He's actually quite experimental in his work and he gives me hope for other EDM producers to do something a bit different. But had I not listened to the album, I'd never have realised that. Here's hoping Addicted To You, Dear Boy, Liar Liar, Hope There's Someone or Heart Upon My Sleeve become singles at some point.

That's what I'm hoping for too. It goes to show that weeks in the top 10 doesn't necessarily match a song's overall success in the same way that the peak position isn't a good indiction either. Telephone matched Applause's weeks in the top 10 and of course we know that Telephone was massive in the UK and is considered one of her best loved and most iconic songs. I have to admit, when I saw it only had 5 weeks, I was shocked. I can remember it going to #1 but after that, it's all a blur, so if even I, as a fan, can't remember how long it stuck around, casual fans won't either. I'm sure she's just biding her time in regards to UK promo and we'll get lots of promo spots in November to promote the next single to make up for it. Sometimes, ironically, excessively promoting the lead single isn't always the best idea because the lead single always charts and sells well anyway and you'll use up the majority of your promo spots if you use them all on the lead single that didn't really need it. It's the ones just before and just after the album that really count and are crucial in regards to album sales. She's confirmed for X Factor (thought how soon before the album is uncertain) and Rihanna won't be around and 1D's album isn't going to be released until 2 weeks after hers and if the album release schedule remains the same in that month, she'll have a guaranteed 2 consecutive weeks at #1. She won't have Rihanna overshadowing her this time, which is awesome. I think she's just realising that maybe too much promotion led to her being overexposed last time so she's just going to pick and choose her times instead of going on every show going. Let's face it, Jonathan Ross and Graham Norton always have a much higher caliber of guests and are more respected than Alan Carr. Most of his guests these days are really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

uh huh. justin timberlake and suit and tie vs mirrors comes to mind.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

uh huh. justin timberlake and suit and tie vs mirrors comes to mind.

That's a blip. The same kind of blip that Adele epitomised when she did next to no promotion for 21 but the public lapped all the singles up and every song on the album got airplay and is still selling millions. Blips happen, but by in large, they're not that frequent. And sometimes, overseas stars don't promote the right songs at the right time. You get bizarre cases like Miley performing We Can't Stop on Alan Carr despite the fact that it went to #1 here weeks ago and is almost out the top ten. She should have performed Wrecking Ball if she wants it to sell.

The Beatles Volume 2 Live album will be released on Nov 11 in the UK.

Volume 1 sold 180k in just 4 days

:ohno:  :ohno:  :ohno:

Vol. 1 was released 19 years ago. Suffice to say, a lot has changed since then. Selling 180k in 4 days was no great feat at all in 1994. Gaga's promotion will be off the wall in the week before the album. The Beatles won't have a prayer.

Oh, look, Miley on Alan Carr. At least she's doing promotion, unlike someone.

Alan Carr gets like 2 million views and I doubt even 5% of them buy the songs performed on the show, it didn't pretty much nothing for MTN

Vol. 1 was released 19 years ago. Suffice to say, a lot has changed since then. Selling 180k in 4 days was no great feat at all in 1994. Gaga's promotion will be off the wall in the week before the album. The Beatles won't have a prayer.

Oh phew  :haha:

GagaMyBlood95

ARTPOP is going to reach #1, I am positive! But it would be nice if the second single gets bigger success than Applause!

Gaga's performances on Graham Norton did wonders for both Born This Way and Judas. She needs to make another appearance

Hypocrateen

Gaga's performances on Graham Norton did wonders for both Born This Way and Judas. She needs to make another appearance

Yes I hope she performs there after the 2nd single is out.

Loved the performances there :legend:

StrawberryBlond

Oh phew  :haha:

Even better, I don't think it'll even chart in the regular top 40. As it's a live album, it charts differently. Their 1994 release, despite going to #1 and top ten in quite a few markets, has no chart record whatsoever on its official Wiki page. Other live albums are the same. I remember when the post-humous Amy Winehouse Live At The BBC live album was released just 4 months after her death, I was surprised to see it not mentioned in the albums chart. I looked it up on Wikipedia and the only chart record it had was US Top RnB/Hip Hop Albums Chart (#41). I think this proves that live albums are treated as a whole other case. Then again, I notice that AC/DC's live album does have a chart record but only went to #14 here. I think it's because most of them have DVDs with them and you can't have a DVD charting on a music chart. This new release is just a re-mastered cash-in anyway. There's nothing new on it, so why would people need to buy it again?

Gaga's also up against Keane's greatest hits on the same day. All their albums have gone to #1 but they've really fallen in the last few years and their last album sold barely 100,000.

The Beatles Volume 2 Live album will be released on Nov 11 in the UK.

Volume 1 sold 180k in just 4 days

:ohno::ohno::ohno:

LOOOOOLL **** sake

Even better, I don't think it'll even chart in the regular top 40. As it's a live album, it charts differently. Their 1994 release, despite going to #1 and top ten in quite a few markets, has no chart record whatsoever on its official Wiki page. Other live albums are the same. I remember when the post-humous Amy Winehouse Live At The BBC live album was released just 4 months after her death, I was surprised to see it not mentioned in the albums chart. I looked it up on Wikipedia and the only chart record it had was US Top RnB/Hip Hop Albums Chart (#41). I think this proves that live albums are treated as a whole other case. Then again, I notice that AC/DC's live album does have a chart record but only went to #14 here. I think it's because most of them have DVDs with them and you can't have a DVD charting on a music chart. This new release is just a re-mastered cash-in anyway. There's nothing new on it, so why would people need to buy it again?

Gaga's also up against Keane's greatest hits on the same day. All their albums have gone to #1 but they've really fallen in the last few years and their last album sold barely 100,000.

No live albums chart as regular albums. For example Madonna's live album which came out this week was charting in the midweeks. I also remember that Pink Floyd have had a couple of high charting live albums too. I'm not sure what happened with those releases you named though but there's nothing that prevents them from charting. Same as remix and greatest hits albums.

But regardless, I agree, I don't think it will challenge ARTPOP. Whenever old things get remastered and released, the hardcore fans already have it and act snobby against remastered releases. The recent Nirvana anniversary albums come to mind (even though I bought them :hehe: :). Whereas the hardcore Gaga fans want the new material.

Keane greatest hits won't be a problem either. Like you say, no one has seemed bothered about them for YEARS. Their sales have gone down since the very first release.

Archived