Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

UK Charts Discussion

WarriorPrince

Featured Posts

Interesting - Work Bxtch is not in the top 40 for radio airplay, but on TV it is the 3 most played video. Wonder how it is going to do when it is released! 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed with the MTN X-factor performance in 2001, trying to work out what was happening visually meant the song was not being listened to.

I't best for people to hear a song on radio before seeing a theatrical performance. It's takes a couple listens to warm up to most songs, and a weird new song plus strong theatrics is a lot to take in.

This will still work as album promo for people who've bought Gaga albums before.

it is against the rules, you can't change a promo single into an official single BEFORE the album release!

Where is this confirmed? Pretty sure if they release it as a standalone single tomorrow it'll then count for the charts.

Ellie Sioux

I really hope the song isn't messy. I like the sound of the snippets (at least, I do now), but I'm kinda struggling to see how they mesh

exactly this!

GagaMyBlood95

Where is this confirmed? Pretty sure if they release it as a standalone single tomorrow it'll then count for the charts.

no, it won't, it will count ONLY when the album is released! You have it in this thread somewhere - that new rule..

I know!

Let's hope it will be okay tomorrow!

it is against the rules, you can't change a promo single into an official single BEFORE the album release!

Yes you can if it's not part of the album, you're not translating it right.

if that was the case no songs from any album could chart.

Question: Do UK chart rules hurt the music industry?

1) They encourage international artists to hold back singles for weeks or months to ensure a good chart position. This a disutility for itunes buyers and an incentive for illegal downloading.

2). They discourage artists from using pre-orders to boost albums sales. Result is few digital albums sold.

In days of physical sales, there were rules about how many B sides and mixes you could put on a single. Some countries lower than others. The result, as a guy who worked in the industry once explained, is that people would get fewer extras as labels would conform to the lowest limit in the most restrictive country.

The UK chart is horrible as well, longevity does not exist...

songs debut and rarely rise, they then fall like a brick.

iTunes Update

LnSdygn.jpg

01. Royals - Lorde

02. Counting Stars - OneRepublic

03. You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - James Arthur

04. Booyah (feat. We Are Loud! & Sonny Wilson) - Showtek

05. Wrecking Ball - Miley Cyrus

06. Roar - Katy Perry

07. Afterglow - Wilkinson

08. Bonfire Heart - James Blunt

09. Survival - Eminem

10. Hold On, We're Going Home (feat. Majid Jordan) - Drake

11. Give It 2 U (feat. Kendrick Lamar) - Robin Thicke

12. Can We Dance - The Vamps

13. The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) - Ylvis

14. R U Crazy - Conor Maynard

15. You Make Me - Avicii

16. Beautiful Life - Union J

17. Juliet - Lawson

18. What I Might Do (Radio Edit) - Ben Pearce

19. Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz) - Jason Derulo

20. Berzerk - Eminem

21. Wake Me Up - Avicii

22. Roar - Katy Perry

23. Same Love (feat. Mary Lambert) - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

24. Burn - Ellie Goulding

25. Change Your Life (feat. T.I.) - Iggy Azalea

26. Skip To the Good Bit - Rizzle Kicks

27. Disco Love - The Saturdays

28. Rap God - Eminem

29. I Hope You Find It - Cher

30. Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly) - Lady Gaga

31. All Night - Icona Pop

32. Turn It Up - Sean Paul

33. Count On Me (feat. Moko) - Chase & Status

34. Let Her Go - Passenger

35. Blurred Lines (feat. T.I. & Pharrell) - Robin Thicke

36. Sonnentanz (Sun Don’t Shine) [feat. Will Heard] - Klangkarussell

37. We Can't Stop - Miley Cyrus

38. Cheating - John Newman

39. Bonfire Heart - James Blunt

40. Boy Oh Boy - Diplo & GTA

Bubbling Under

57. Unconditionally - Katy Perry

69. Girls - The 1975

77. Help Me Lose My Mind (feat. London Grammar) - Disclosure

86. Young Volcanoes - Fall Out Boy

Question: Do UK chart rules hurt the music industry?

1) They encourage international artists to hold back singles for weeks or months to ensure a good chart position. This a disutility for itunes buyers and an incentive for illegal downloading.

2). They discourage artists from using pre-orders to boost albums sales. Result is few digital albums sold.

In days of physical sales, there were rules about how many B sides and mixes you could put on a single. Some countries lower than others. The result, as a guy who worked in the industry once explained, is that people would get fewer extras as labels would conform to the lowest limit in the most restrictive country.

I think the UK chart rules damage the legitimacy of its singles chart, yes.

On (1) the business of getting a song played on radio for a month before releasing it for sale should be stopped, as it creates artificial #1 songs that drop out the following week, devaluing getting #1.  You can't stop radio playing it early, but you can make it that any delay in releasing a song for sale (evidenced via radio play or release elsewhere in the world) will result in an equal period after release for sale when the song can't chart.

On (2) there will be move to split album artists (who will continue to have pre-orders for their albums) and singles artists (who will make multiple singles to chart in the absence of an album).  The album artists will give up trying to get a UK #1 single - probably Gaga has already reached that position.

However the likes of the itunes chart is getting more recognition than the weekly official chart nowadays (since the itunes chart is what people see when they go to buy their music) and I expect the official chart in its present form will become extinct before too long.

UK labels just don't want to follow pretty much the rest of the world in on air, on sale which is a shame. It's only Gaga that really does that here and as you can see it gives her a massive disadvantage.

GagaMyBlood95

Yes you can if it's not part of the album, you're not translating it right.

if that was the case no songs from any album could chart.

yeah, that's what I meant, I didn't say it right  :sweat:

Archived