Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Billboard: Applause sells 218,000 copies + #3 Digital Song

Gypsy18

Featured Posts

bumblebee

After listening to the interview she gave to Long Island radio and how she explained that the label makes all the single choices without her input, it's really put all of this in a different light for me. Please, everyone, listen to it. Gaga wrote a great song. However, it's not a great lead single choice, and Gaga has absolutely nothing to do with that. The execs chose the song. If the song doesn't do well, the blame is on them. The song is great and I would love to listen to it on the album, but not as a lead single. I think Gaga would've chosen a better song as a lead single. I love Applause, but it was obviously chosen for its poppy chorus and for nothing else. The lyrics aren't that relatable to the GP and although I can't put my finger on it, there's just some "it" factor missing from the song that would make it a great lead single. I guess the song just lacks an element of surprise? After listening to the first minute, you've pretty much heard the entire song, you know? I can see why the execs would think it was a "safe" choice, but safe never works well for Gaga, and although they don't know better than that, she sure does. I'm very happy with Gaga and her amazing choices for the music video, but VERY unhappy with Interscope. 

Honestly, I think it has nothing to do with Interscope, really. I believe she decided to pick this specific song because of its impact and its meaning to herself. It's a great statement about her own artistry, it mirrors her relationship with fans and most importantly has something to do with the injury. 

Back in 2011, she was also in front of the choice: to put Marry The Night as a lead single, because that song was close to her heart, or do what Interscope prefers to be done. She left Marry The Night for the very end, and it didn't turn out to be a good choice, 

I think she kinda didn't want to repeat her own "mistake" with this album, and chose APPLAUSE as the lead single to pay a tribute and homage to her artistry and creative process, and then go with all the commercial and radio friendly stuff. 

I may be wrong anyway. ARTPOP is risky, remember what Gaga said. And the song is very strange, in a way there's almost now connection between the chorus and the verses. GIVE ME THAT THING THAT I LOVE, I'LL TURN THE LIGHTS OFF, MAKE IT REAL LOUD - it could be understood like it's not about APPLAUSE at all  :derpga:  While the verses are full of things which may confuse the general public  :lolgaga:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I think it has nothing to do with Interscope, really. I believe she decided to pick this specific song because of its impact and its meaning to herself. It's a great statement about her own artistry, it mirrors her relationship with fans and most importantly has something to do with the injury. 

Back in 2011, she was also in front of the choice: to put Marry The Night as a lead single, because that song was close to her heart, or do what Interscope prefers to be done. She left Marry The Night for the very end, and it didn't turn out to be a good choice, 

I think she kinda didn't want to repeat her own "mistake" with this album, and chose APPLAUSE as the lead single to pay a tribute and homage to her artistry and creative process, and then go with all the commercial and radio friendly stuff. 

I may be wrong anyway. ARTPOP is risky, remember what Gaga said. And the song is very strange, in a way there's almost now connection between the chorus and the verses. GIVE ME THAT THING THAT I LOVE, I'LL TURN THE LIGHTS OFF, MAKE IT REAL LOUD - it could be understood like it's not about APPLAUSE at all  :derpga:  While the verses are full of things which may confuse the general public  :lolgaga:

Did you listen to the interview? She clearly stated she has no input on which single is chosen. The label chooses it. Not her.

:worship:

But honestly, it's not a bad start for Gaga. Wait for her VMA performance because THAT IS THE START of her comeback. 

bumblebee

Katy said her album would be darker, but Roar sounds like a reject track off TD.  Exact same Dr. Luke production with lyrics that came from pushing a button on "cliche-o-matic."  

Katy keeps putting out the same easy to digest material and people keep eating it up.  With songs like Roar her audience will perennially be pre-teens.  Applause is radio friendly by Gaga standards, but still has some elements that are challenging to listeners.  Like she said in one of the radio interviews she "has to make what turns her on, and hopes the fans like it."  Gaga expects her audience to grow with her, not all of them will.

This pretty much. APPLAUSE is a very risky choice as a lead single off the album. 

high heeled fem

For a rush release with little promo, das faaaaabulous, darling.

Exactly

bumblebee

Did you listen to the interview? She clearly stated she has no input on which single is chosen. The label chooses it. Not her.

She decides which songs to play to the label though

She decides which songs to play to the label though

Right. But considering she wrote over 70 songs, she must've played them at least 20 - 30. And she said Applause almost wasn't included in what she played for them. She wasn't sure about it. Just because she maybe wanted it to be put on the album doesn't mean she wanted it to be the lead single.

I am disappointed, I don't think gaga and Interscope espected this debut. They surely expected more. WE surely expected more. I hope for her she can do better next week

AgusPop

Its great  :party:

I am disappointed, I don't think gaga and Interscope espected this debut. They surely expected more. WE surely expected more. I hope for her she can do better next week

Its #3 baby. Not #10 and it was an emergency release with out the video. and her main competitor its a pre-teen bubblegum popstar with a lot of little fans

When I envisioned what the lead single off the next album would sound like, "Applause" was not it.

Bare in mind I do enjoy "Applause", but it just doesn't pack nearly enough punch to snag the casual listener, and these sales reflect that.

"One second I'm the Koons / Then suddenly the Koons is me."

"Applause" is very much by Lady Gaga for Lady Gaga.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived