Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Discussion - Your Honest Thoughts/Reviews of Applause.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

MelbHawker

So we've had some time to take in Applause. I want to hear your honest thoughts and feelings towards the song. Every thread about the song is about it's sales and I want to know what you really think about the song. Were you let down? Do you love it? Do you love parts of it? Is there something you don't like about it? Vocals? Music? This is a thread for people to discuss the song, not it's sales since it was released. Review the song in terms of what you expected and got. If anyone comes in here and makes a post calling it a 'flop' - you will feel the wrath of MelbHawker, and the wrath of MelbHawker is something you don't want to feel. You'll have half a soul left once I'm through with you.

So. I like the song. I would even go as far as saying I love it.. but I don't think it's her best work. Was I expecting a song like this? No. I was expecting something polarising. Something that would cause a little controversy. What I got was a song that's 100% fun. It's probably her most radio-friendly release to date. Was I disappointed by this? Initially I was, but now I'm actually proud of her for releasing something that works as a crowd-pleaser. For me, it's not a song that has much substance when you listen to it. It's a song that's been made to make people dance and feel good. And it does that perfectly.

When you read the lyrics though - she's writing the song from a Pop Star's point-of-view. She wants us to love her, she lives off the 'Applause' we give her when she performs. She wants us to 'Put our Hands Up'.. she's not telling us to do that to feel good, she's telling us to do that because her life depends on it. But in doing that, we do actually feel good (though we feel good because the music makes us dance, not because we are keeping her, or the persona 'Lady Gaga', alive). Although it's total fun, the song is actually insight to a Pop Star's insecurities regarding Fame, Success, Failure, Desperation etc. I haven't seen many critics talk about the song from this angle! It's very commercial in terms of it's sound, but it's still very creative. I also love the Bowie-esque delivery of the verses.

The chorus is extremely catchy although the vocals are sort of swallowed by the electronic sounds it's paired up with but nevertheless, it's totally euphoric. I love the almost-robotic 'A-P-P-L-A-U-S-E'.. it took me 5 or 6 listens to actually realise what she was saying. It's an earworm. My favourite thing about the song is the drum roll/beat right before the chorus begins (Is that called the hook? I'm not familiar with the terminology). It doesn't happen before the second chorus - only the first and last chorus. I also love how she sings 'Pop Culture was in Art, now Art's in Pop Culture, in meeee'. It's my favourite line of the song. 

Anyway, I'll stop it there because I could go on all night about 'Applause'. What do you think about it? Vomit your mind. I thought about posting this in the Applause Thread but like.. it's a total mess. I want to know people's thoughts about the song! 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlienFugitive

So. I like the song. I would even go as far as saying I love it.. but I don't think it's her best work. Was I expecting a song like this? No. I was expecting something polarising. Something that would cause a little controversy. What I got was a song that's 100% fun. It's probably her most radio-friendly release to date. Was I disappointed by this? Initially I was, but now I'm actually proud of her for releasing something that works as a crowd-pleaser. For me, it's not a song that has much substance when you listen to it. It's a song that's been made to make people dance and feel good. And it does that perfectly.

This entire paragraph, basically.

I really loved it the moment I hear it.

The chorus is the club banger and something that she missed from BTW era. Tho, the verse is weak at first, thankfully, chorus make it up.

The falsetto is beautifully done and the middle is simple but I want more.

9/10 the moment I hear it.

Now, it is 10/10 for me.

To concisely say how I feel about the song, 

Do I love it? Yes

Does it have the same magic as some of her other works? No 

However I should stress that the way I feel about songs drastically changes once the visuals and performances are introduced. But as a song its a perfect 3:33 pop piece, which although I do love, its not as much as I would have liked. 

But I do agree that this is necessary and a correct career move, so it doesnt annoy or even disappoint me. I am sure that she will cover my expectations and more with the album. 

RitaOral

It's a good song. I can see myself blasting it in the car and listening to it occasionally, but I wouldn't call it her best work. Reminds me a lot of something that would fit on The Fame album. 

Nervous Unicorn

I do genuinely like the song, but I think the Koons line/pop culture line just throws the whole thing. 

But the chorus is amazing. It's always stuck in my head.

VampireGrin

After listening to it for a few days, I have started to realize how basic it is for gaga's standards. But even though it is basic, I still think it sounds incredible and is definitely one of her best (not my favorite though, nothing will beat the masterpiece that is The Edge Of Glory). I think it ****s all over Bad Romance tbh :nails:

First listen 9/10

Now 8/10

After listening to it dozens and dozens of times, I really like it. At first listen it was meh, it took some time to swallow it. The lyrics are so good. Unrelatable? Yes, but they are awesome and intelligent and I just can't imagine another pop star singing them. The instrumentals and production could be better tbh. Her vocals are the best in a lead single since Bad Romance. The chorus is catchy in my opinion, since Monday I caught myself mumbling "applause applause applause" several times. My favorite part is the spelling lyrics (and before the release I was absolutely sure I would hate it :rip: ). Overall, Applause is a good song. But I am not quite convinced if it is a good lead single...

I give it 7.5/10. Not a wonderful song but it is ok.

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

MelbHawker

However I should stress that the way I feel about songs drastically changes once the visuals and performances are introduced. 

Good point. I'm sure my views on the song will chance once I watch the music video + performances! 

Weasel

I love it, but it's not a masterpiece obviously. Do I think that matters? No. Her fanbase clearly needed a simple fun catchy song right now after all the serious BTW stuff. I'm sure she'll have a few WOW songs on ARTPOP so I can't wait :party: 

TropicOfCANCER

the song is just there; it doesnt really have much replay value for me. i appreciate the message behind the verses, and the chorus is very catchy, but i think the main issue for me is the very underwhelming production. I give it a 6/10, and there's an extra point because it's gaga. 

MelbHawker

but I think the Koons line/pop culture line just throws the whole thing. 

I think those 2 lines make the whole song!  :P

i hate the chorus, love the applause part but it took forever to figure it out and its missing a third verse, the exciting part of the song that everyone waits to hear.

dontbesweet

I love the chorus.

But the song feels 'empty'... there isn't some huge amazing deep meaning. Maybe I'm missing something.

Dance is old for me.. the production is really really dated IMO!

Applause could easily have been given to another artist and I wouldn't have even known Gaga was part of it; it's one of Gaga's most unoriginal tracks to date.

The poorest lead single.

it already the MOST PLAYED song on my phone~~

SAID IT ALL~~

ᴸᵒᵒᵏ, ᵗʰᵉ ʷᵒʳˡᵈ ˢᵗᵃʳᵗˢ ᵗᵒ ᵈⁱˢᵃᵖᵖᵉᵃʳ “ᶠⁱⁿᵈ ᵐᵉ”, ˢᵒᵐᵉᵒⁿᵉ ˢᶜʳᵉᵃᵐˢ ᵒᵘᵗ.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived