• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kermit the frog

• Didymus

• elijahfan

• FATCAT

Mythic Mist

Some interesting tid bits from a biography of Chuck Barris' life from http://www.biography.com/people/chuck-barris-9542546

"But in 1976, Barris made a comeback with The Gong Show, and at NBC's insistence, hosted it himself. Though critics argued that the show demeaned its contestants, The Gong Show found its audience and made the host, whose antics got crazier as the years wore on, into a bona fide star. But by 1980, The Gong Show was falling behind in the ratings and was eventually canceled."

Perhaps Gaga is using this show as a metaphorical representation of what we have jousted onto her; she must constantly be better than what she was, but in the end if that's all what she is attempts to do anymore she will end up canceled like the show.

I wouldn't give Gaga that much credit. The reference to the "Gong Show" thing has been around for a while in places like Kareoke clubs. I know of one locally called "Gong Show Karaoke" and thats been around since before applause was announced. The reference to the gong acting as a cut off is pretty common...

Coldplay

A gong is a musical instrument. You "crash" (the gong word for hit lol) it to play it.

Thank you! But What does "crash the critic' mean? It's kinda confusing.

Guest TheNextOne

My thoughts so far on the lyrics are that she's basically saying she only cares about the audience because it's the audience that gives her the thing that she loves, the Applause. The audience will both figuratively and literally drown out the critics. The question is: will the critics be drowned out by the audience's applause or by the loud crash of their figurative gong of disapproval?

I read some insecurity into this. Perhaps Gaga is saying she too is always questioning her performances, nervously wondering in the back of her mind whether the public will accept a performance where she bleeds and hangs from the ceiling (among other performances) or whether the public will turn against her and signal her failure as an artist by figuratively banging the gong, making her disappear from her stage and kicking her out of the spotlight. Perhaps forever.

She needs the audience to give her approval by clapping, the approval she needs for her addiction to fame. She screams at the BTWB concert "Please say my name, I can't live without the fame!". She also mentions in some older lyrics that the only way she could stay away from the stage was if Fame could be injected into her through an IV. Thus, she must get her "fix" from the stage and the applause from the audience.

Anyways, just my interpretation.

This is brilliant. :clap:

Thank you! But What does "crash the critic' mean? It's kinda confusing.

I think it's supposed to be a double entrendre.

I think she means that the audience's reaction to her performance drowns out her critics. So when the audience  "crashes the bong" of approval or disapproval, it "crashes the critics" or invalidates their opinion in her mind. She cares more about her audience's opinion then that of her critics.

Pie-kun posted a very insightful interpretation above, if you're interested. :sara:

Edited by TheNextOne

Didymus

I hate it. I mean, "bang the gong"? :flop: It's so obvious she sucks at rhyming, it's becoming embarassing.

judaslover

My thoughts so far on the lyrics are that she's basically saying she only cares about the audience because it's the audience that gives her the thing that she loves, the Applause. The audience will both figuratively and literally drown out the critics. The question is: will the critics be drowned out by the audience's applause or by the loud crash of their figurative gong of disapproval?

I read some insecurity into this. Perhaps Gaga is saying she too is always questioning her performances, nervously wondering in the back of her mind whether the public will accept a performance where she bleeds and hangs from the ceiling (among other performances) or whether the public will turn against her and signal her failure as an artist by figuratively banging the gong, making her disappear from her stage and kicking her out of the spotlight. Perhaps forever.

She needs the audience to give her approval by clapping, the approval she needs for her addiction to fame. She screams at the BTWB concert "Please say my name, I can't live without the fame!". She also mentions in some older lyrics that the only way she could stay away from the stage was if Fame could be injected into her through an IV. Thus, she must get her "fix" from the stage and the applause from the audience.

Anyways, just my interpretation.

Very good a--lysis. I like your interprétation.

Coldplay

This is brilliant. :clap:

I think it's supposed to be a double entrendre.

I think she means that the audience's reaction to her performance drowns out her critics. So when the audience "crashes the bong" of approval or disapproval, it "crashes the critics" or invalidates their opinion in her mind. She cares more about her audience's opinion then that of her critics.

Pie-kun posted a very insightful interpretation above, if you're interested. :sara:

Thank you!! :hug:

MelbHawker

The 'gong' line is sort of odd.. but I'm sure it'll sound s-xy the way she sings it.

Ugh I cannot wait!

MelbHawker

I hate it. I mean, "bang the gong"? :flop:It's so obvious she sucks at rhyming, it's becoming embarassing.

Do not question the Queen's words.

izozos4asJNHD.gif

Dawson

I hate reading lyrics out of context :ohno: Not a fan of the new lyrics, but I'm sure they'll sound great in the song

Jester

I hate it. I mean, "bang the gong"? :flop: It's so obvious she sucks at rhyming, it's becoming embarassing.

What are you talking about? Those words are not even supposed to rhyme. Bong and wrong are. Bye

Didymus

Those are the ones I was talking about :roll: Calm down, for ****'s sake.

What are you talking about? Those words are not even supposed to rhyme. Bong and wrong are. Bye

• Shadow locked this topic