💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Recap of Gaga's July 4th "Party"

Didymus

Featured Posts

HausOfMark

So this kinda isn't directly pertaining to yesterday,I just saw it today, and I've never posted before but I thought I'd share this with you guys in case you haven't seen this on tumblr. I think something really is coming soon!!!  :excited2: Sorry the fonts so small :/ I'm not quite sure how to do this yet! oops.

xl064h.png

link

-Mark

HausOfMark

heres the source that tumblr gave

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/1569263/ask-billboard-why-do-some-songs-fade-out-and-others-end-cold?page=0%2C4

and it's the last post on this tumblr (can't get a direct link to the post as it goes to the billboard link above) http://ladyxgaga.tumblr.com

Oh wow! Thanks for this!! This is great

-Mark

Everybody suddenly started to use it at the same time. GGD started crashing and the community message was seriously only the smiley face. The mods later posted it as their status under each other and posted it in several threads, just as a full reply, GGD even tweeted it (a tweet that "Jo" even favorited), Propagaga suddenly hid it in the Telephone picture,... It all happened at the same time, which convinced us that it's not just a random smiley face.

It's possible that GGD, Propagaga etc. just used it as a joke, but the way it was used and shown to us was definitely not random. I do think it has some significance, even if it's just a way to freak people out :laughga:

(Before anyone comments on the reaching and all, this is nothing more than just my thoughts, clearly going out of context, but whatever. I'm just curious to see if we can pick up on eventual hints she might have given us about themes or else.)

So, about the significance of the smiley face, if we treat it as a hint for ARTPOP, in the pop art theme of taking popular content, then I think the smiley is one very interesting symbol, especially for our (web) generation. It's also quite ARTPOPist in itself, cause it does assign new meaning on that which already exists. Two ponctuation characters becoming an emotion, universally recognized.

It also is interesting cause it evolved, influenced by culture, for example with the japanese style emoticons or ASCII art and emojis on iOS...

Now, the reaction pictures and gifs widly replaced those old fashioned emoticons. It is interesting to see our way of communicating developping into lesser and lesser words. From "I'm happy/it's nice... etc." becoming ":)" to more intricate feelings or ideas summerized in one picture, often personally chosen based on one's own culture and interests. (So basically revealing more about the person than just what he wanted to say, you also get an understanding of who he is based on his picture choice.)

I think the overuse of gifs and the installation of specific GGD emoticons is a strong example of that in this forum. It is funny to see whole threads almost empty of words just quotes with one emoticon/picture/gif clearly expressing what the poster wanted to say. Also Facebook just added the pictures in comments feature, Instagram has videos now... The development of language and expression in social media and web interactions fascinates me.

Gaga said she was interested in our way of communicating through images, so I guess the first "image" that replaced words was the smiley face. It is a powerful symbol.

This does not stop at internet interactions though, the way we talk on the phone less and less, contacting companys and making appointments through mails, and conversing via texts. Lady Gaga or Cher are, virtually, one tweet away which is INSANE when you think about it. Twitter broke down that barrier between celebrity and public, for the better or worse: Kelly Osbourne feud with Gaga started because of that. Cyberbullying is one huge issue that we didn't imagine we would have to face.

I think it would be interesting to see her thoughts on that on ARTPOP, I love when she makes social commentaries through performance and music.

Maybe her disconnect of social medias was an experiment? With and without. Maybe her blackout from hearing about pop culture that she announced on Oprah was also about that? Immersing into the simpler time when you couldn't and weren't very interested in knowing everything about everyone. When celebrities were still out of reach and you had to make an effort to keep in touch. When you couldn't get army classified files on the internet... (Cue Gaga's interview with Julien Assange)

I don't know, I think that could be a really interesting subject to explore (in a good or bad light), and Gaga would be the best main stream artist to do that, as one of the strongest internet celebrity and one of the first to understand and develop her person online.

Speaking of marketing and back to the lighter subject of symbolism, the smiley discussion also got me thinking in terms of logo and branding, cause Gaga doesn't have a real logo à la Mick Jagger's mouth for Rolling Stones, or speaking of smiley face: the Nirvana yellow logo. I guess the lightning bolt, cross and triangle kinda came with each era. The woman silhouette with lightning bolt could have become her official logo during The Fame but it wasn't quite simple/iconic/small enough and it didn't stick, same with the skeleton face for BTW. She doesn't even have a signature unique typography of her name.

I would be interested to see if ARTPOP will bring her this "recognition", Gaga is big on labelling and signature and I find it funny that she doesn't have that. I think it's not a huge thing in pop culture, MJ and Madonna don't have a constant logo for example.

Still, every important movement, company, industries has had a logo, isn't that what flags basically are? I think it is the base of labelling and branding, I can clearly talk about Louis Vuitton with this topic in mind. It has got to be the brand that relies the most on its logo, even their color, as greatly noted by Gaga, Vuitton Brown. Fashion is possibly the smartest industry in terms of labelling, Chanel's double C, Lacoste's crocodile, McQueen's skulls... When you think about it, tattoos are also a way of labelling yourself... how many times did we rely on Gaga's tattoos to determine if it was really her?

Also, this is pretty stupid but my mind went there so I have to mention it. The smiley she wrote is nothing but eyes+mouth. Gaga's lips have expanded and her eyelids are drawn especially high and big lately, so she's basically this big eyed, big lipsed face.

So you know, the cover could be just her eyes and a big smile with full lips on a blank canvas (hmhm), sideways to make it less creepy/more unique. Possibly a simplified, or recolored version of it.

Finally, I'm not gonna bore you (any more than I already did) with talk about facelessness and hybrid Ga again but... As I said, the smiley replaces emotions in virtual language, notably facial emotions. So maybe the last human moment before ARTPOP has passed and it is starting to become -for lack of better words- inhuman. (The alter-egos could be smiling because they're getting another companion inside Gaga's head?)

Anyway, good night, I'm tired, I don't know if what I just wrote makes any sense. This is gonna be fun to read back once the era will have started.  :wtf:

SwagLikeLG

Oh wow! Thanks for this!! This is great

Welcome! I figured it was something more concrete than speculation since Billboard said it and thought I'd share! :)

AgusPop

(Before anyone comments on the reaching and all, this is nothing more than just my thoughts, clearly going out of context, but whatever. I'm just curious to see if we can pick up on eventual hints she might have given us about themes or else.)

So, about the significance of the smiley face, ...

Wow, that was amazing!!  :worship: I agree with you 100%. The smiley face is iconic and Gaga knows it.

il_fullxfull.381968266_jh00.jpg

Edited by pabloagus

Miel

inb4 Sex Dreams is a duet with Jo  :deadbanana:

That would be terrible.

I'm still interested in it :cryga:

Chop chop, Mary Jane 

I was just listening to this, haha. It's destiny, ARTPOP is actually a Rick James cover album.

So, about the significance of the smiley face, if we treat it as a hint for ARTPOP, in the pop art theme of taking popular content, then I think the smiley is one very interesting symbol, especially for our (web) generation. It's also quite ARTPOPist in itself, cause it does assign new meaning on that which already exists. Two ponctuation characters becoming an emotion, universally recognized.

It also is interesting cause it evolved, influenced by culture, for example with the japanese style emoticons or ASCII art and emojis on iOS...

Now, the reaction pictures and gifs widly replaced those old fashioned emoticons. It is interesting to see our way of communicating developping into lesser and lesser words. From "I'm happy/it's nice... etc." becoming ":)" to more intricate feelings or ideas summerized in one picture, often personally chosen based on one's own culture and interests. (So basically revealing more about the person than just what he wanted to say, you also get an understanding of who he is based on his picture choice.)

I think the overuse of gifs and the installation of specific GGD emoticons is a strong example of that in this forum. It is funny to see whole threads almost empty of words just quotes with one emoticon/picture/gif clearly expressing what the poster wanted to say. Also Facebook just added the pictures in comments feature, Instagram has videos now... The development of language and expression in social media and web interactions fascinates me.

Gaga said she was interested in our way of communicating through images, so I guess the first "image" that replaced words was the smiley face. It is a powerful symbol.

This does not stop at internet interactions though, the way we talk on the phone less and less, contacting companys and making appointments through mails, and conversing via texts. Lady Gaga or Cher are, virtually, one tweet away which is INSANE when you think about it. Twitter broke down that barrier between celebrity and public, for the better or worse: Kelly Osbourne feud with Gaga started because of that. Cyberbullying is one huge issue that we didn't imagine we would have to face.

I think it would be interesting to see her thoughts on that on ARTPOP, I love when she makes social commentaries through performance and music.

Maybe her disconnect of social medias was an experiment? With and without. Maybe her blackout from hearing about pop culture that she announced on Oprah was also about that? Immersing into the simpler time when you couldn't and weren't very interested in knowing everything about everyone. When celebrities were still out of reach and you had to make an effort to keep in touch. When you couldn't get army classified files on the internet... (Cue Gaga's interview with Julien Assange)

I don't know, I think that could be a really interesting subject to explore (in a good or bad light), and Gaga would be the best main stream artist to do that, as one of the strongest internet celebrity and one of the first to understand and develop her person online.

Speaking of marketing and back to the lighter subject of symbolism, the smiley discussion also got me thinking in terms of logo and branding, cause Gaga doesn't have a real logo à la Mick Jagger's mouth for Rolling Stones, or speaking of smiley face: the Nirvana yellow logo. I guess the lightning bolt, cross and triangle kinda came with each era. The woman silhouette with lightning bolt could have become her official logo during The Fame but it wasn't quite simple/iconic/small enough and it didn't stick, same with the skeleton face for BTW. She doesn't even have a signature unique typography of her name.

I would be interested to see if ARTPOP will bring her this "recognition", Gaga is big on labelling and signature and I find it funny that she doesn't have that. I think it's not a huge thing in pop culture, MJ and Madonna don't have a constant logo for example.

Still, every important movement, company, industries has had a logo, isn't that what flags basically are? I think it is the base of labelling and branding, I can clearly talk about Louis Vuitton with this topic in mind. It has got to be the brand that relies the most on its logo, even their color, as greatly noted by Gaga, Vuitton Brown. Fashion is possibly the smartest industry in terms of labelling, Chanel's double C, Lacoste's crocodile, McQueen's skulls... When you think about it, tattoos are also a way of labelling yourself... how many times did we rely on Gaga's tattoos to determine if it was really her?

Also, this is pretty stupid but my mind went there so I have to mention it. The smiley she wrote is nothing but eyes+mouth. Gaga's lips have expanded and her eyelids are drawn especially high and big lately, so she's basically this big eyed, big lipsed face.

So you know, the cover could be just her eyes and a big smile with full lips on a blank canvas (hmhm), sideways to make it less creepy/more unique. Possibly a simplified, or recolored version of it.

Finally, I'm not gonna bore you (any more than I already did) with talk about facelessness and hybrid Ga again but... As I said, the smiley replaces emotions in virtual language, notably facial emotions. So maybe the last human moment before ARTPOP has passed and it is starting to become -for lack of better words- inhuman. (The alter-egos could be smiling because they're getting another companion inside Gaga's head?)

Anyway, good night, I'm tired, I don't know if what I just wrote makes any sense. This is gonna be fun to read back once the era will have started.  :wtf:

Wow, that was actually pretty cool.

Edited by Miel
3 points in and ready for more

stuckonfknyou

:worship:  :legend:

BellaDonnaDiana

because not everyone is connected???

Also, quite shockingly, I looked at my screen during one of the error messages on GGD:

ZmwfAjv.png

Zoom in to the title of the page, it says: "Gaga Daily posts preview"

Church

This was so fantastic & you really got me thinking, now my brain is shutting down due to overdrive. This is why I love Gaga so much! Everything she does is so intricately planned and complex, there is almost always a deeper meaning.

kiss kiss

I think that the VEVO thing was just a coincidence. They're wearing American flags. Not too much of a stretch as to why they would post that on the 4th of July.  

blubrryxkisses

So, about the significance of the smiley face, if we treat it as a hint for ARTPOP, in the pop art theme of taking popular content, then I think the smiley is one very interesting symbol, especially for our (web) generation. It's also quite ARTPOPist in itself, cause it does assign new meaning on that which already exists. Two ponctuation characters becoming an emotion, universally recognized...

Thank you. This was an awesome read. :) heh.

Sister

I loved reading this, very nice and thoughtful!

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Solitaire

A twitter account that before Gaga sang those lyrics at the VMA's, that account had already tweeted them and more things. During 2012 it came back with tweets like "The truth is my red lipstick" which made some fans zoom her lips on the covers of her singles/albums and could apparently see an 8 and a 6 :smh:

August 6th  :eek:

wat if..

- Previously Sycothisis

• Shadow locked this topic