đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Was it Gaga's outfits that really skyrocketed her into fame?

Katie14

Featured Posts

I think it was her music but the outfits only boosted the attention that she was getting

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miel

I think it was definitely a trifecta of interesting imagery (omg), catchy music (omg!), and actual talent, live or otherwise (omg???).

well gaga did when she refered to her last album as avant-garde

I think Gaga overplayed herself a bit there. BTW was very different, yes. Avant garde? Probably not. I think she meant in the aspect of radio pop, at least that's what I thought.

Sadly enough, as somebody else has said, no 'radically different' songs were released as singles. Maybe MTN only because it's a very complex song (see how that went), but otherwise the riskiest song as a single was BTW (more than Judas, yes).

3 points in and ready for more

Forrest Gump

I think it was definitely a trifecta of interesting imagery (omg), catchy music (omg!), and actual talent, live or otherwise (omg???).

I think Gaga overplayed herself a bit there. BTW was very different, yes. Avant garde? Probably not. I think she meant in the aspect of radio pop, at least that's what I thought.

Sadly enough, as somebody else has said, no 'radically different' songs were released as singles. Maybe MTN only because it's a very complex song (see how that went), but otherwise the riskiest song as a single was BTW (more than Judas, yes).

why born this way? are we still pretending having gay and transgendered in the song was some huge risk just cause homophobic countries wouldn't play it?

Bebe

There are a lot of less-known musicians that wear avant-guarde outfits that are not as popular, obviously the music is the most important factor in her success so I don't want to undermine that.
Saying that, her visual artistry and the way she combined fashion, music, technology is what propelled her to superstardom. She took her music videos and performances to the next level and made something as simple as her walking down the street into a newsworthy topic. She was marketed as a futuristic and forward-thinking new artist. She helped bring dance music into the mainstream, she was wearing outrageous clothes and had incredible and well thought out performances and music videos.

Bebe

why born this way? are we still pretending having gay and transgendered in the song was some huge risk just cause homophobic countries wouldn't play it?

Born This Way, the single was not only banned in many countries but the single, along with Judas, also led to the album being banned in many countries. 

Obviously it wasn't much of a risk in the US or much of Europe but it was incredibly controversial in parts of Africa and Asia. The equivalent of a major pop star releasing a song in the US about incest, pedophilia or beastiality. It was incredibly taboo and seen as incredibly and inherently wrong/immoral/indecent. 

Obviously it was a huge risk in homophobic countries, especially from an artist who was trying to break into certain Asian markets such as India where homos-xuality is still taboo and where homophobia is still very present. India only decriminalised homos-xual intercourse in 2009. Born This Way and Judas where also the main reasons why her concerts where heavily protested against, it led to the cancellation of the Jakarta date in the BTWB tour.

If radio isn't playing your single and the purchase of your singles and albums are being banned by world governments I would say your single/album is controversial/taboo and risky in many parts of the world.

This is a little off-topic though.

Miel

I think bringing it up in a contemporary pop song was pretty major. I mean, a lot of fans definitely disagree on it but I think it definitely heated up a lot of anti-LGBTQ around the country.

It's understandable that the US is a lot more open than other countries, but it still received huge backlash even when the lyrics were released early. Just the direct mention of it riled a lot of people.

I'm not saying it was a HUGE risk; circumstances definitely paved the way easily for the song (late 2010 suicide jump, trend of individualistic songs). In comparison to the other singles, though, I think it was definitely the risky one imo.

3 points in and ready for more

Ambrosia

It actually came down to something that hadn't been seen before, at least not in the last decade from a pop - singer

- A voice.

The clothing added to the significance of her success, but she's famous solely for the sonic tea that she can spill.

General public would say it's the fashion;

the fans know it is the falsettos.

:tea:

Intelligent post and I agree totally!  Nice to see you around again.

Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. -Socrates

Forrest Gump

I think bringing it up in a contemporary pop song was pretty major. I mean, a lot of fans definitely disagree on it but I think it definitely heated up a lot of anti-LGBTQ around the country.

It's understandable that the US is a lot more open than other countries, but it still received huge backlash even when the lyrics were released early. Just the direct mention of it riled a lot of people.

I'm not saying it was a HUGE risk; circumstances definitely paved the way easily for the song (late 2010 suicide jump, trend of individualistic songs). In comparison to the other singles, though, I think it was definitely the risky one imo.

well i guess so. but not compared to judas at least. third world countries always complain about pop songs.

Forrest Gump

It actually came down to something that hadn't been seen before, at least not in the last decade from a pop - singer

- A voice

are you really implying gaga was the only pop singer in ten years that can sing. really

3q425253qwewq

Intelligent post and I agree totally!  Nice to see you around again.

Thx fielder for both of the compliments XD!!!

Good 2 see you too ^_^

:hug:

3q425253qwewq

are you really implying gaga was the only pop singer in ten years that can sing. really

That could sing well

No auto-tune,

no gimmicks,

no Lip-synching.

So, yes I am.

Am I implying that she is the ONLY person who had actual talent during the end of the 90's/2000's to come forward; No,

of course not.

But she is one of the few out there that has a good voice, not just A VOICE

Hope that helps.

Forrest Gump

That could sing well

No auto-tune,

no gimmicks,

no Lip-synching.

So, yes I am.

Am I implying that she is the ONLY person who had actual talent during the end of the 90's/2000's to come forward; No,

of course not.

But she is one of the few out there that has a good voice, not just A VOICE

Hope that helps.

but she has used autotune and gimmicks. and plenty of pop singers could sing well before her. you can't get ahead of yourself with her talents by comparing her to the lowest of the pop ladder.

3q425253qwewq

but she has used autotune and gimmicks. and plenty of pop singers could sing well before her. you can't get ahead of yourself with her talents by comparing her to the lowest of the pop ladder.

But you & I (along with 30 million other people) know that she can actually sing; there are less then 5 performances that I have seen that have possibly used auto-tune. If this is a question of her singing abilities, it's just a click away from bombbarding you with 30 youtube videos and performances proving that she can.

As to the issue of the bottom of the barrel, that's been the majority of mainstream pop acts; Females with very little talent, except in the area of entertainment - they can hardly be considered "musicians," - because many of them lack the capability of being able to actually sing.

She was a force that came into the pop scene who had talent, a voice, theatrics, and "strange" fashion that garnered the mass appeal she currently has. The pop ladder doesn't extend itself very high; the majority of acts today offer very little REAL talent. It's all style but no substance. But that's what sets the greats apart from the pop-tarts.

If were comparing her to Mariah or Christina it's a different range, or even a Whitney, but there's no denying she's not talented.

Her voice, not the fashion is what will keep her at the top. 

No. She skyrocketed at Poker Face and that didn't have any weird outfits.

Forrest Gump

But you & I (along with 30 million other people) know that she can actually sing; there are less then 5 performances that I have seen that have possibly used auto-tune. If this is a question of her singing abilities, it's just a click away from bombbarding you with 30 youtube videos and performances proving that she can.

As to the issue of the bottom of the barrel, that's been the majority of mainstream pop acts; Females with very little talent, except in the area of entertainment - they can hardly be considered "musicians," - because many of them lack the capability of being able to actually sing.

She was a force that came into the pop scene who had talent, a voice, theatrics, and "strange" fashion that garnered the mass appeal she currently has. The pop ladder doesn't extend itself very high; the majority of acts today offer very little REAL talent. It's all style but no substance. But that's what sets the greats apart from the pop-tarts.

If were comparing her to Mariah or Christina it's a different range, or even a Whitney, but there's no denying she's not talented.

Her voice, not the fashion is what will keep her at the top. 

ok first of all i didn't say she couldn't sing, you don't gotta tell me to look up videos on youtube

when i said autotune, ki was talking about the songs on her albums, not live performances

and you're wrong. while the ladder isn't set high on substantial music in pop, there are a lot of pop sigers that are just as good and better singers then gaga

if what you were implying was the lady gaga was the full package in terms of being talented, being hands on with their music and performances, and having an image that stood out in the mainstream then you're right. their hasn't been a pop singer like that in the 21st century before. but don't tell me that pop was filled with medicore singers and that it was some breath of fresh air when gaga could sing cause that is far from the truth.

and it was her fashion that got her to the top, being able to sing and put on a good performance only just slightly gave her a pass to the general public for being outrageous as an artist and not as a gimmick ala nicki and katy.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived