💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Popdust: Gaga #1 Reason Why Pop Music Changed in 2009

heavyMetalGAGA

Featured Posts

Could not agree more. And I'm glad that they're crediting Gaga as the game changer back in 2009. If anything, she reinvigorated the interest towards pop music and pop culture again which is commendable.

But similar to what Bryan has earlier stated, things have long changed since then. New game changers have arrived. And the rules of the game itself have also changed, highlighted by the recent inclusion of YouTube views in the chart formula of Billboard's HOT 100. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But similar to what Bryan has earlier stated, things have long changed since then. New game changers have arrived. And the rules of the game itself have also changed, highlighted by the recent inclusion of YouTube views in the chart formula of Billboard's HOT 100. 

New game changer? Adele really didn't set off a trend and isn't releasing music regularly. Lana and Carly flopped just as they appeared set to take off as world class stars. The succession of one hit wonders the past year were all over the map in terms of musical style.

The game is still about in internet promo and making money via tours.

GagaObsession

She certainly changed pop music, she evolved it into something amazing. :legend:

I don't think it was just Gaga, just as I don't think the grunge revolution in the early 1990s was just Nirvana.  Part of it was the growing popularity of "Amp" radio stations emerging -- one in my own local market popped up around 2009, which is how I got a steady dose of Gaga, Katy, Ke$ha, Jason Derulo, etc. in my ears at that time, whether I wanted to or not.  

Back in January, I wrote a post at http://robimes.blogspot.com/ talking about how the music scene had changed between 2008 and 2009, based on watching back again a block of VH1 airplay that I had recorded off TV in May 2008 and comparing it to what would be shown now.  Music definitely did change, but these things have a tendency to correct themselves and drift back to where they were, or into new directions eventually, as the public seems to go along with whatever happens to catch their fancy, or sounds the catchiest, at the moment.

dfghuer5

Wasn't paparazzi the fourth single?

depends what country, in Australia Paparazzi was the 5th (JD, PF, EH EH, LG, PAPA) in the US it was fourth, some otehr countries it was 3rd, just depends bc Eh, Eh wasnt released as a single in every country, and in some countries LoveGame was released after Paparazzi bc of its s-xual themes and they weren't sure to release it straight away so they did Paparazzi instead, hahaha it was quite complicated tbh ;)

MelbHawker

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks this. I've been wondering for a while if I was just deluding myself when I said that Gaga brought about the whole electro/dance revolution. The US never understood dance music pre-Gaga apart from Cascada's Everytime We Touch, which surprisingly went to #10 and sold 1.9 million copies in the US in 2006. But it was a once off and Cascada couldn't replicate that success again and no other electro act could break through. Madonna really brough dance music to the front with Confessions On A Dancefloor, but the US simply did not get into it. Despite the fact that the rest of the world was dancing away to the likes of Hung Up and Sorry, the US was clearly outwith the cool crowd at that party. Kylie had tried for years to make electro music global with no success. But Gaga came along and suddenly, things started to make sense, probably because Gaga's singles were still noticeably pop and the electro part was just an extra thrown in. While pop had kinda died for a while, the US still remembered its love for it once and the next thing we know, pop had made a definite comeback and dance music was everywhere. It can't have been a coincidence that it happened just after Gaga debuted, surely?

It's weird to remember that urban music was the most popular music, that it was pop music. From 2001-2008, the safest way to ensure success was to go urban and there was a year where literally every #1 song in the US was an urban song. Pop was only something by teen pop artists and teen pop only existed in its own little universe and Britney and Justin were the only adult exceptions making successful pop music (and Justin was very urban in his early years). Now urban albums are at the bottom of the charts and selling peanuts, if an urban single goes top 10, it's a miracle, it seems like every artist is doing pop music, older artists like Katy Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen are having massive hits with juvenile songs that are too young for them, we're subjected to teen pop at every twist and turn. 2009 really was a very transitional year. What's unfortunate is that the older generation doesn't realise this and looks at them like you've spoken to them in tongues when you explain how music has changed in the last few years.

:tea:

Burn with that spillage.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived