Jump to content
opinion

LG 7.5


PornoDanceFight
 Share

Featured Posts

PornoDanceFight

I think that Gaga was really inspired during the last run of the Jazz and Piano show, as well as Harlequin, and it felt the most "Gaga" out of all her jazz eras. She was experimenting with more eccentric fashion, reinterpreting her pop songs into jazz/funk/near mariachi covers (Americano, her resurgence), while having more confident theatrical flair and giving unique vocal performances. As a jazz fan and someone who thinks Harlequin is one of Gaga's best records, I'm wondering what fans of her jazz music would want for her next jazz project. This thread could be a space to discuss fashion inspiration, musical/concept direction, or mock tracklists of jazz/Great American Songbook/vintage pop songs that you'd want her to cover.

Concept: New York Lady

Songs that connect back to Gaga's NYC roots (literally, figuratively, and ephemerally). She'd cover songs that are either literally about the city, songs that remind her of growing up in NYC, or songs that look at NYC/growing up in the city through a nostalgic lens.

For me, I'd love for her to cover:

- Manhattan

- I Put a Spell on You

- Teach Me Tonight

- Everything Happens to Me

- September In The Rain

- Autumn in New York

- Cry Me a River

- If I Had You

- I'm Hip

- When I Get Low I Get High 

- Girl from Ipanema 

- Too Marvelous for Words

- New York, New York (official recording)

Fashion

More eccentric than previous jazz releases. A little "messy," but glamorous. Both high and low brow, eschewing more "high brow." I'm mostly thinking about looks from her secret jazz performances but elevated, with a dash of "Jazz Punk/Funk the Punk" and her recent Jazz and Piano shows splashed in.

Gaga2-courtesy-Duane-Park.jpg

274YYBuniPYY.webp

ladygagajl2cv_d.jpg

 

2B7F6DDE00000578-0-image-m-87_1440012929

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwr5Ccj-ulLEItu4V7V-p

e25c3a8db235fd365d9836dee8b8b6db0f-10-la

635745578571372136-Lady-Gaga.jpg

5fbb6a39a7be5439580fb1a028b5a915.jpg

(note for fashion: see Gaga from September 29, 2010 performing at the Oak Room -- hair/fur body suit with fishnets and McQueen heels and bedecked in jewels. I can't embed the image unfortunately.)

But these are just my ideas/musings. I feel like she's at an exciting part of her artistry where she can experiment(ish) with the idea of what a jazz singer can be. More theatrical, less emphasis on beautiful gowns, taking a bit more creative, sonic, and fashion risks. What would you want from her next jazz project?

Edited by PornoDanceFight
edited images
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 9
  • Shook 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kayioshka

I Want To Be Evil and The Great Pretender (the version covered by Freddie Mercury) would also slap

eartha kitt vintage GIF

Edited by Kayioshka
Probably under substances... An alchemist is born !
  • YAAAS 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kayioshka

By the way mixing chic and cvnt eccentricism is something that is quintessential for Gaga.

I want a LG 7.5 too.

 

Probably under substances... An alchemist is born !
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

:applause: 
 

Bookmarking this thread in the noggin for when I get the chance for a proper muse delve … brilliant blueprint though, just Gotham Angel on parade—a Her-lem Renaissance! :huntyga: :oops: 

  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

PornoDanceFight
3 minutes ago, Kayioshka said:

I Want To Be Evil and The Great Pretender (the version covered by Freddie Mercury) would also slap

Oh your taste...how could I forget I Want To Be Evil :bradley: She would absolutely devour an Eartha Kitt cover. The Great Pretender would absolutely fit in here too!

2 minutes ago, Kayioshka said:

By the way mixing chic and cvnt eccentricism is something that is quintessential for Gaga.

Exactly. I feel like Harlequin was a stepping stone to truly blending both sides of her across her jazz projects.

  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lucas

I personally don't like jazz music but I love how Gaga is glowing and happy during the jazz eras. The flew clips from the Jazz & Piano shows I've seen were so great to watch.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Taumaturg0

I'm guessing Summertime vibes since her motherhood is bound to have an impact on her creative energy 

  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

gagzus

I loved Harelquin and love jazz so yes yes more solo jazz music. I say she should have a solo original jazz song (produced by Newman and his band too). 

I also want her to cover Chet Baker, I Fall In Love So Easily specifically 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brief just off the dome musing on the blink … sound structure wise I think it would be intriguing to see how she interprets the spectrum of vocal and instrumental jazz (yielding more toward original compositions) …

So, vocally more akin to the conventional Cheek to Cheek approach (covering original works and standards, across the board, but I‘m just thinking Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Carmen McRae, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, Peggy Lee, Shirley Horn, etc.)

… and then original or improvisations of instrumental jazz (a la Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, Yusef Lateef, Wayne Shorter, Charlie Parker, Fats Waller, George Gershwin, Miles Davis, Wes Montgomery …) since she‘s a composer and instrumentalist …

Maybe collaborate with current artists (Esperanza Spalding, Lianne LaHavas, Leila Adu, Josh Redman, Takuya Kuroda, Robert Randolph and the Family Band (Lenesha Randolph was an early background vocalist with Gaga, so that might be a fun reunion), Branford Marsalis (the Jazz at Lincoln Center connection would be fascinating), Brandee Younger and Dezron Douglas, SAULT) …

For some reason, the flair of Cab Calloway also sort of surfaced on an energetic aesthetic vibe … but also that era of Hollywood fatales and subversive starlets feels proximal

And … just the first cover that surfaced to mind … quite Gotham prime in its own right … especially the Ella Ellington iteration … “Mack the Knife” (Live at The Côte D’Azur is just a personal apex favorite)

 

As always, new and novice, just riffing into the airwaves and learning as we go along … but just preliminary glimpses on the blink—genuine thanks again DanceFight for the thread, absolutely riveting concepts for consideration!

 

ETA: @Taumaturg0 Summertime! Bless, up 

Spoiler

 

She could also record jazz renditions of her own studio standards (somewhat in the vein of the Mayhem Ball piano sessions, Mayhem: Requiem, and just her piano revisitations in general …, but full-stop reworkings … like Coltrane‘s “My Favorite Things” (in a way, but again, not identical … just general reference on how to revamp a work, within a capacity) )

Edited by bxr
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

AVeryGagaHolyDick

Tbh, I think she’s covered more than enough jazz classics in her discography. 

I’d love to hear songs she writes instead.  I love Folie À Deux so much, it’s one of my favorite songs from her, she’d kill it with ease 

  • Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

ImMatt

I adore the classic jazz Gaga did with Tony, but I can definitely see her leaning towards doing more theatre-jazz style which she explored a bit on Harlequin. Personally it probably wouldn't be for me, but I appreciate some fans would love that from her and I could see it being a '7.5'. Although something like that would have to be tied to something else i.e. a film or musical for it to fully come to life.

I'd personally love Gaga to write her own classic jazz album. She's studied the classics, she's worked with Tony, now it's her time to write her own jazz. It would be brave (as probably not very commercially successful compared to a pop record), but it could be one of her best works. I know there's great jazz songs in her.

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Duella Dvil
1 hour ago, ImMatt said:

I adore the classic jazz Gaga did with Tony, but I can definitely see her leaning towards doing more theatre-jazz style which she explored a bit on Harlequin. Personally it probably wouldn't be for me, but I appreciate some fans would love that from her and I could see it being a '7.5'. Although something like that would have to be tied to something else i.e. a film or musical for it to fully come to life.

I'd personally love Gaga to write her own classic jazz album. She's studied the classics, she's worked with Tony, now it's her time to write her own jazz. It would be brave (as probably not very commercially successful compared to a pop record), but it could be one of her best works. I know there's great jazz songs in her.

I would disagree that it would NEED a tie in, but also agree. I feel like she could make a musical work as a limited tour. So it WOULD be the tie-in

I want her to revise her hits through a jazz lens then pen songs that fall into that universe and propel the narrative.

www.instagram.com/theduella666
  • YAAAS 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ilia Malinin
5 hours ago, ****oDanceFight said:

2B7F6DDE00000578-0-image-m-87_1440012929

god, this photoshoot was everything to me

everyone keeps saying "oh, he's back, he's back!" but the truth is i never left!
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

PornoDanceFight
5 hours ago, bxr said:

Sarah Vaughan

5 hours ago, bxr said:

Dinah Washington

5 hours ago, bxr said:

Peggy Lee

I think that she would kill any standard in the vein of their deliveries, and I can even hear some of them come out during her own covers already! :hug:

5 hours ago, bxr said:

Maybe collaborate with current artists

I definitely agree with collabing with any of those that you listed, especially Samara Joy or Laufey. I especially think her and Laufey's harmonies would be out of this world. 

5 hours ago, bxr said:

and then original or improvisations of instrumental jazz

Oh I would absolutely be here for an original jazz piano instrumental piece, or, and not to be heretical, have her write over an instrumental piece like how she would a pop song (I'm thinking writing lyrics over "Sing Sing Sing" would be chaotic and something that she would absolutely nail). She already reworked Get Happy for Harlequin, so why not!

5 hours ago, bxr said:

Ella Ellington iteration … “Mack the Knife”

Oh just divine...I really need to manifest this into existence now...

5 hours ago, bxr said:

She could also record jazz renditions of her own studio standards

In vein of the Cherrytree Sessions/stripped acoustic/Requiem artistic vision...I think a track like Poker Face (Reworked, 2028) would fit seamlessly amongst both classic standards and new original pieces...definitely something to manifest and hope for!

  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...