💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

GGD Music Club

Kayla

Featured Posts

Just a reminder- You're up next, Ziggster! Have your list ready as soon as possible, please. :)

Alright. Getting my post ready. :yes:

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MattyMonster

First of all, I have to say that Björk is one of my favorite artists/singers. She's right up there with the best of them. Legend

(NOTE: Vespertine is my all time favorite album ever created)

Okay, my song-by-song review:

*Thunderbolt - Coming from her newsy record Biophilia, which is still growing on me. But this one is an immediate stand-out. Lyrics fit beautifuly, but it's the sound (of the whole record) that really captures you. The moment at 1:02 is exquisite.

*Joga - Björk actually recorded this song on another planet in a whole different universe, 'cause a song this beautiful can be from the Earth. That's really all I can say. Amazing record.

*Isobel - I have a on/off relationship with Post, but I've always loved this song. It's very simple song, but it always gives me this certain feeling and smile on my face.

*Hidden Place - As I said, Vespertine is my favorite album ever and Hidden Place is exactly the perfect opener. It sets up the mood for the whole album. Everytime I hear the first few seconds, I just can't stop listening and then the chorus starts and I know that I have to listen to the whole album :heart: Perfect song. Plus the lyrics are so personal.

*I See Who You Are - Volta is an interesting record. Many blamed Björk for going too commercial, which is just bull**** IMO. I'm not sure if this song is the best representation of the album. I love the instrumental. It's just that album that you have to be in mood for it.

*Who Is It - Medulla! Second favorite. Never heard an album like that. This particular song is (as most of the album) acapella and it works perfectly. It's one of my favorites from the album. My favorite being Ancestors, which is just...a trip :)

*All Neon Like - Homogenic again and I have no words once again. This song is just what it is. The moment when the beat kicks in---is just magical orgasmic eargasmic and it literally makes me feel like I could start flying.

*Mutual Core - This song is the exact reason why Biophilia is still growing on me. I understand that it goes for the simplistic sound and the moment when the tectonic plates crush into each other, is actually pretty epic, but besides that, this song gives me nothing.

*Violently Happy - Good old Debut Björk. It's my least favorite album, but I don't even know why, because all the songs are quality and all of them have their own great sounds. I just never listen to it. Love this song and it's a Björk classic, but it's pretty below all the other songs on the next albums.

*Unison - Vespertine closer. The last minute always makes me think and feel and just the whole sound is very sunny, while the rest of the album has that snowy feeling.

All in all: PERFECT pick!

Love your reviews, Matty. :)

I agree with the part about Volta. It's a good solid album, but you sometimes have to be in the mood for it. I personally enjoy it every time I listen to it. Though, I sometimes put it at a low position when ranking her albums. :sweat:

Lion Heart

IM LATE:

Ok- I'm late as always but after listening to Amy Winehouse's work, I have to say I regret not listening to her earlier. She's got a really great voice and the jazz music (while not my favorite kind) works wonders with her.

The song that stood out to me the most was "Hey Little Rich Girl (The Specials Cover)"- it was one of those upbeat happy-go-lucky type of songs and really cute to listen to. The rest were pretty good- she's the type of artist who relieves a stressed out brain and can cool you off after a heating argument- or a bad day. Very nice work- sad to see her go. RIP

*gets ready for Bjork's work*

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

ristretto

I'm sorry i didn't review Amy Winehouse's work, but i can sum it all up: Amazing. Her voice is sooo good. :heart:

I'm gonna listen to this weeks artist now! :party:

80sirishlegend

Bjork :woot:

Okay, to be perfectly honest I've listened to bits and pieces of Bjork but never got stuck into an album or gave her a great deal of time, but she is an artist I'm interested in.

Is there an album I should start with? Any recommendations?

80sirishlegend

Start with "Debut" and finish with "Biophilia". Björk's music is way to personal and special to be appreciated and understood by simply listening to her albums. Read a biography and experience her music in its chronology.

I suggest this one:

http://www.amazon.co...3895233&sr=1-21

As you read, you'll see that Björk's entire musical achievement is way too heavy to be summed up in ten songs only. Just like that, I feel it's almost disrespectful to reduce her. Björk has to be regarded as a whole piece of art. But not in an artificial way. In fact, she probably one of the most natural and unassimilated women in pop. Aside to her both legendary and innovative music, she never wanted to integrate in the superficial pop circus. She stayed the way she was - Icelandic through and through. Probably coming from her roots in the Icelandic punk scene in the 70s, Björk never made attempts to appeal to the mainstream nor did she ever want to fit any woman stereotype.

Free spirit. That's what she is.

Sounds almost like a project - I like projects :party:

I will let you know how it goes, as it is I will listen to the 10 songs you listed above over the next few days and get back on what I think.

Archived