opinion

Disease Lyrics

Reez

Featured Posts

I'm sure the song has lots of different meanings, but don't y'all think the lyrics are obviously primarily about us, our 'disease' of being obsessed with her music and with her? šŸ˜‚

Edited by Reez
  • Like 2

The only thing I can say about the lyrics is that thanks to the typos of the picture she put on IG reels, I canĀ“t stop hearing "I can smell your sick ass" instead of "your sickness".

On a serious note, on paper, the lyrics are pretty dull, but her delivery makes them feel sexy and bizarre. I guess thatĀ“s what happens when you are an excellent vocalist.

• LMAO 5

2 minutes ago, Naufri said:

On a serious note, on paper, the lyrics are pretty dull

Agreed, I think the lyrics lacked some fantasy or storytelling in them... if she switched the lyrics up to something less basic even just for the bridge I feel like the song would be on another level

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

Agreed, I think the lyrics lacked some fantasy in them... if she switched the lyrics up to something less basic even just for the bridge I feel like the song would be on another level

At the same time, the basicness of the lyrics makes the song sound a little dumb and savage, like when you are high and-or extremely horny.

Mother of Puppies

Lay you down like 123

Eyes roll back in ecstasy

Ā 

I mean....

:poot:

Ā 

Spoiler

making love GIF

Ā 

and "I could play the doctor"... doctor games :traumatica:

Ā 

Ā 

and

Screamin' for me, baby
(Ah-ah) Like you're gonna die...

Ā 

I think it's a very sexual song (at least to me) and there are tons of moans in there... :hor:

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Mother of Puppies
THEY CALL ME LADY MOP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Mother of Puppies said:

Lay you down like 123

Ā 

I mean....

Ā 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

making love GIF

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

and

Screamin' for me, baby

Ā 

I think it's a very sexual song

Ā 

Ā 

I actually interpret this as her addressing herĀ fibromyalgia. I took her eyes rolling back in ecstasy as a hyperbole, emphasising how much relief she gets when her pain is subdued from her medicine. She's screaming for her medicine because she's in so much pain from her disease. Though I def see the double meanings and I think those are purposeful.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

Hennycomb
6 minutes ago, Mother of Puppies said:

Lay you down like 123

Ā 

I mean....

Ā 

Ā  Hide contents

making love GIF

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

and

Screamin' for me, baby

Ā 

I think it's a very sexual song (at least to me) and there are tons of moans in there... :hor:

Ā 

Ā 

I also get sex vibes

JELENA KARLEUSHA

On the surface the lyrics are about sex, but I think that lyrics are actually about that recurring "fame monster" theme that is always present in her work. Gaga is talking to Stefani (but also Stefani could be talking to Gaga), like an internal struggle between those two parts of her personality - Stefani - her authentic self, and Gaga - her famous persona, but Gaga is also us as her fans and her audience, with our expectations of her and with our own ideas of who she is. Interesting that exactly this is also the subject of Folie Ć  Deux movie.

I believe the video will reinforce this meaning, if it shows Gaga driving a car and chasing after Stefani, also those hands from that teaser could be showing Gaga holding Stefani's hand etc.

• Like 2

I am not sure the lyrics tell a story, or at least i haven't been able to get it. In the bridge she says 'bring me your desire' and this makes me think the song is about the disease of desire - being obsessed with something to the point of losing yourself. She kind of applies it sexually i suppose, though it doesn't feel sexual at all. Like being obsessed with people's love.

the lyric 'smell your sickness' really puts me off and i want to understand it, lol -- is it just a figure of speech or is she alluding to something?

But the chorus lyrics are confusing imo. 'i could play doctor' ... ok?Ā 

I agree the lyrics need work, but the harmonies are so powerful and evocative.Ā 

Ā 

A Very Gaga Holida

I know itā€™s not what itā€™s about, but when I listen to the song, I just canā€™t unthink of stupid abusive parents of LGBTQ+ kids

ā€œI can cure your disease

If you were a sinner, I could make you believe

I can smell your sicknessā€

Edited by A Very Gaga Holida

Head Empty

1. It could be about fans who are obsessed with her

2. Gaga likes to play with perspective, so it could be written from Michaels point of view, helping Gaga heal

3. It could be about addiction/drugs, and replacing "medicine" with sex

4. It could be Gaga talking to her old self

5. It could just be a metaphor for sexĀ :messga:

6. It could be all of the above, because Gaga loves layered (and purposely broad) metaphors

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ā€Ž įµƒĖ¢Ė¢ šŸ•ŗ
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Head Empty said:

5. It could just be a metaphor for sexĀ :messga:

I honestly don't get how this song is sexual... it's literally called disease. not the sexiest thing i can think of.Ā 

imo it's wrapped in sexy language b/c it's the language of desire, i.e. our desires in life, not of sex.Ā 

• Like 1