Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

J*ker Director explains Gaga’s cut kiss scene

StarstruckIllusion

Featured Posts

G U C C I

This lady already gave a statement about this?! When this went viral during filming didn’t the woman give a statement about working on set with Gaga and the kiss? I swear to god I remember reading it but I can’t find it. 

• Like 1

Ladle Ghoulash
4 minutes ago, Cortezz said:

Todd didn’t say it was improvised or without consent. Discussing Film Twitter account made that up.

This is what he actually said:

"It had dialogue in it, and, all of a sudden, I wanted it to be more of a music and vibe moment," Phillips tells Entertainment Weekly. "For that moment to have played, it needed dialogue behind it. Meaning, the woman said something, and then Gaga stopped and did this thing, and it just kind of got in the way of the moment."

https://ew.com/joker-folie-a-deux-lady-Gaga-kissing-woman-cut-scene-8721852?taid=6703dc47ac9dcd0001e0d102&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+(Feed)&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I agree that his comment is largely about pacing, but the article you cited also literally says, “Phillips recalls Gaga improvising the kiss.” That’s not to say that it being improvised means it was non-consensual, though.

Ronk

Todd was so lucky to have Gaga in the film.  Does he even think of respecting people?  I'm so done with him.

I live outside the space time continuum.

LilyLark

I read the interview in full—I don't really think he's trying to throw Gaga under the bus. Twitter strips the nuance out of a lot. Also, the Discussing Film tweet frames it in a way to get the most outrage.

That said, if he was trying to throw her under the bus....kind of funny as it backfired. Outside of a handful of incels and pop stans (who hate everything Gaga does), the majority of QT's (not just little monsters) were dragging Todd Phillips to death for this bit.

• Like 1

LilyLark
2 hours ago, Naufri said:

This dude is out of his mind. There is no chance that kissing an extra is not talked first with the director AND the extra. This is an USA big budget movie, if that woman was kissed without consent and hasn't sued Gaga and the studio, they probably had to pay her a million dollar and sign a NDA. 

This dude wants to gain a reputation of not having control of the actors in his movies? I guess he's under a shitstorm at the moment, but he's making things worse for him and the rest of the team.

That poor lady should have multiple online gossip outlets trying to contact her rn

This sort of thing is improvised all the time (most recent example I can think of is Austin Butler randomly kissing Stellan on Dune 2 without even warning Stellan).

Is it right? Nah. But it happens all the time on sets. And no, the studio wouldn't have to pay off someone with NDAs and all that.

That said, improvisation usually means they clear it ahead of time (eg House of Dragon's improvised kiss was came up with on the last minute before shooting). He most likely just worded it poorly.

I do think fans need to chill. Twitter is generally ripping into Todd for this quote, not Gaga, and I've seen no one except like two stans start screaming that Gaga non-consenually kissed someone. No need to assume the worst.

Edited by LilyLark
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LilyLark
4 hours ago, Mister G said:

Like I said, he truly screwed her over. Any bad press this movie gets ultimately falls on him. Actors are only as good as the material they have to work with and it shows with his comments that he was more interested in vibes than the professionals like Miss Gaga who understand the assignment at all times. 

The interview is way better in context. Twitter strips the nuance out of everything.

That said, Todd is getting ripped into by all but a handful of incels for this particular quote

Mister G
11 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

The interview is way better in context. Twitter strips the nuance out of everything.

That said, Todd is getting ripped into by all but a handful of incels for this particular quote

For sure I watched that piece and didn't interpret him as blaming her for anything. At most, he would probably be disappointed with the reception but this movie wasn't for everyone much like the first. His direction is really what should be the buck of criticism and feedback, not her presence just for being in the movie but he also should be accountable for cutting content including especially if it would have added more flair and even for a messy as his direction might have been this movie still wasn't even that terrible in the end. And really we won as Little Monsters because this just shows that she will always live rent free in her haters heads.  My biggest issue why I say he screwed her over is because even removing any bias I have of her as a fan, I was craving more of her character. I wanted to see those layers of depth that illustrate how she pulled strings on the outside.

Edited by Mister G
  • Like 1

Schwerk

Consent and improvisation can go hand in hand. Gaga came up with this on set, it wasn't scripted, therefore it's improvised. Doesn't mean she didn't share her idea with both Todd and the other actress before actually shooting the scene.

The scene that ended up in the movie is her already at the top of the stairs smoking and doing a little dance before entering the courtroom.

I don't think this scene would've added much, but it is strange that Lee barely talks to anyone but Joker in this film. So any scene that establishes her character without him in the scene would add something to me, because I want to get to know her better.

The way Todd's quote is used on social media shows that people seem to be more entertained by tearing this movie down then the movie itself, which is sad.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch
  • Like 2

Freud
4 hours ago, Nite said:

I'm so tired. Gaga's improvisations tend to be iconic. His loss.

Wasn't "Father, Son and House of Gucci" improvised by her as well? And it became the most quoted thing from the movie...

Really his loss

• Like 2

letsmakeasandwich

I was there when they filmed this and I was so gagged, I figured it was gonna be her iconic scene from the movie. Idk how it got cut 

Pop ate my heart

Robo Ga

Todd Phillips is now our main opp! It’s been a while since we’ve been united against a single entity ❤️

🤖⚡️

Ivy

I think he meant the dialogue was improvised? Not the scene/kiss

Edit: nvm just read the article :huntyga:

Oh well he's the director it's no point getting upset over every little thing :oops:

Edited by Ivy