💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

movie

Joker: Folie à Deux debuts with $40M in its opening weekend at domestic box office

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Cello
2 minutes ago, OMonster said:

Is this film, as objectively as possible, better or worse than Joker? It's clearly not performing as well but what about the quality? (spoiler-free answers please!)

I’d say the quality of Joker is better, it’s a more cohesive story and more satisfying to watch. (I didn’t actively dislike FAD but it definitely wasn’t as good, to me)

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana
  • Like 1

Gagaism
52 minutes ago, Hyperobject said:

should people be mourning or what? number one movie is a number one movie after all, even if it tanked badly lol. 

Problem here is not the #1 but longevity. It doesn’t look good forward 

moonsago

The budget was way too high, I’m surprised they even gave it such a budget did they really think a musical would smash with the first movie’s audience? Or did they know it was a risk just like the first adaptation was in many ways? I feel like movies eventually still make back their money nowadays once they go on streaming sites and I’m sure many people will still try watching it just out of curiosity once it’s available. 

Pamplemousse

I always knew it was gonna bomb :oops: this movie never needed a sequel. The first one was chef's kiss :coffee:

• Like 1

LIKELADYAGAGA

Love that despite everything, Gaga now officially has the #1 movie and the #1 song in the world simultaneously. LEGEND. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

RickMonster98

How are China and Japans numbers usually? Could they increase the global box office consistently? 

weed
45 minutes ago, Levine said:

Everybody I know already watched the movie. Nobody liked it :toofunny:

Well they have to go and watch it a 2nd time to really understand it :sis:

• LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

Leoj305
46 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

The Gaga stan accounts lying saying these are strong numbers will be in for a day of reckoning for the second week drop which is sure to be horrible :rip: 

girl, did warnerbros not expect 80M international? I know they expected 90M domestically originally, so 40M is horrible, but considering its reception, 121M is pretty okay considering it is reviewed as the absolute worst comic book movie in history? 

• LMAO 1
  • Thanks 1

Hyperobject
45 minutes ago, Gagaism said:

Problem here is not the #1 but longevity. It doesn’t look good forward 

I know! all I’m trying to say is that we all know that the film bombed, but I see nothing wrong with people “celebrating” these abysmal numbers, let them have something lmao. 

NarlesLM
1 hour ago, Morphine Prince said:

correct. $121M is TERRIBLE.

For comparison, Joker took in $93.5 million domestically in 2019. Combined with the foreign ticket sales of $140.5 million, the film had an opening weekend globally of $234 million.

Joker had a $55M budget. Joker 2 has a $200M budget.

These numbers are ABYSMAL and not sure why some of you are celebrating :rip: 

I mean for a musical / drama R rated that goes far from what a typical super hero movie fan wants, that's a incredible number. No negative on this site, thank you.

1 hour ago, RickMonster98 said:

I read somewhere that Todd said the budget is not 200m. Maybe its not right? :bradley: i cant explain this high budget either, it doesnt make sense the movie has 4 locations

I think the number is intentionally raised by WB in order to push for a higher box office. They are trying to play with the feelings of the fans of the first one to make them feel "I loved the first so much that I HAVE to go see it in theaters to make it at least break even".  

Could just be a conspiracy theory also, but very strange budget number...

Edited by NarlesLM
  • Like 2

LuvitLevit
2 hours ago, Nessun Dorma said:

Here :)

Joker: Folie à Deux” debuted to an estimated $81.1 million this weekend to top the international box office. The film, which is a follow-up to 2019’s “Joker,” earned a disappointing $40 million domestically. Globally, the off-beat comic book film has earned $121.1 million. (…)

The film played on 25,788 screens and in 76 overseas markets. Among the most notable results, “Joker: Folie à Deux” grossed $8 million in the U.K., $6.9 million in Germany, $5.6 million in Italy, $5.5 million in Mexico, and $5 million in France. Next week, the film will open in Japan before debuting in China on October 16.

Source: https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/joker-2-international-box-office-debut-grosses-1236169416/#

Thank you ❤️ 121 million ain’t bad

• Love 2

whoresup

So am I correct in saying these are her domestic (US) and international opening weekends for all her films?

A Star Is Born - US $42m, Int: $14.2m

House of Gucci - US $22m, Int: $12.8m

Joker Folie a Deux - US $40m, Int: $81.1m

• Love 1

LG2008
3 hours ago, chromaticainmyhead said:

the biggest threat for Gaga out of this is that it could possibly lead to future producers being hesitant to cast her for A list roles. Not that this failure of a movie is her fault but I guess in a male dominated business she'll come up too when producers look back and think about FAD. Depends how the movie is doing and what kind of buzz it's going to generate the next weeks. Hopefully it will just fade away and she'll can make us forget with LG7

She just has to choose a smaller film with a good and interesting story. A couple of those with a good performance and a decent box office and she's back on track to do something big and ambitious. Her role in FAD could've been better but she did great with what she was given. Not her fault at all and I'm sure they know it!

Edited by LG2008