💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

movie

Joker: Folie à Deux debuts with $37.8M in its opening weekend at domestic box office

Teletubby

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Nessun Dorma said:

Here :)

Joker: Folie à Deux” debuted to an estimated $81.1 million this weekend to top the international box office. The film, which is a follow-up to 2019’s “Joker,” earned a disappointing $40 million domestically. Globally, the off-beat comic book film has earned $121.1 million. (…)

The film played on 25,788 screens and in 76 overseas markets. Among the most notable results, “Joker: Folie à Deux” grossed $8 million in the U.K., $6.9 million in Germany, $5.6 million in Italy, $5.5 million in Mexico, and $5 million in France. Next week, the film will open in Japan before debuting in China on October 16.

Source: https://variety.com/2024/film/box-office/joker-2-international-box-office-debut-grosses-1236169416/#

it is #1 Domestic & International. Call it what it is. "#1 Box Office Hit JOKER: Folie à Deux."

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 1

Morphine Prince

This movie is a masterclass in having a ridiculous budget for a film + not understanding your audience.

Even if making it a musical was risky, if they had literally had maybe half the budget, even this lower performance would have been OK and maybe could have broken even.

Joker 2 needs to make $450M to break even and I suspect that won't be happening.

Total colossal flop considering the first film did $1B on a $55M budget. 

Edited by Morphine Prince
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

RickMonster98

I read somewhere that Todd said the budget is not 200m. Maybe its not right? :bradley: i cant explain this high budget either, it doesnt make sense the movie has 4 locations

• Like 1

I honestly can’t see the reception to this film being a problem for Gaga, for a few reasons.

First, with her first 2 starring roles she’s proven to be a massive box office draw, and a great acting talent. And, on paper, she now has a #1 movie under her belt.

She’s an Oscar nominated actress and Oscar winning artist, she’s appeared there so many times, knows how to play the game and clearly is on the good side of the Academy.

Her performance is generally being praised as one of the highlights, with some saying they wanted more of her. I truly think there’s an argument to be made around how much worse the numbers would be without her involvement. I think there’s a PR spin in there somewhere, will be interesting to see what appears in the media over the coming weeks.

Speaking purely on a personal observation level: I only watched Joker once she was announced for the sequel, and only still went to see FAD because of her involvement despite the negative response. Glad I did because I loved the movie, but she was the pull for me - same for a lot of people. 

Also, loads of actors have flop movies and carry on just fine. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

The streets are saying they filmed two movies at once — that’s why there’s that huge budget and a lot of scenes weren’t cut but will be used to show Lee’s perspective. This solo film covers what Lee did outside of Arthur’s trial, where she found her own identity outside of Joker… Harlequin. Apparently it will be similar to A Clockwork Orange.

Spoiler

source: my delulu

• LMAO 4

Nessun Dorma
29 minutes ago, Reality said:

That's awful :smh: At this point, I think many of us are ready to move on from this era, as sad as that may be. I'm just glad that we got the Harlequin album because that, to me, is the true gem of this entire thing. Also, we know we're getting the LG7 lead this month, so at least we have that to look forward to :heart:

Did you watch the movie already? I’m curious to hear your thoughts about it, since you’re a fan of the first movie as I am! 

Harlequin is definitely the best part of the Joker era! :heart:

QueenChromatix
1 hour ago, Sorcerer said:

Yes. It's Gaga's first #1 film in the opening weekend. She is in the #1 song and #1 movie in the world right now, if that's any consolation.

Is this confirmed? JFAD is no. 1 globally?

je suis petit monstre 🥀

Morphine Prince

The Gaga stan accounts lying saying these are strong numbers will be in for a day of reckoning for the second week drop which is sure to be horrible :rip: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, weed said:

Allegedly it's smashing in Italy with ~4M euros box office so far, but I can't find a reliable source for that.

“Joker: Folie à Deux” is smashing the Italian box office, having grossed more than $4.2 million. The movie surpassed the first Saturday earnings of “Dune: Part 2”(1.2M) and “The Batman” (1.4M). It is projected to debut with a $5 million opening in its first five days.

_

Everybody I know already watched the movie. Nobody liked it :toofunny:

• YAAAS 3

andy232000
32 minutes ago, Morphine Prince said:

Incorrect. $121M is TERRIBLE.

For comparison, Joker took in $93.5 million domestically in 2019. Combined with the foreign ticket sales of $140.5 million, the film had an opening weekend globally of $234 million.

Joker had a $55M budget. Joker 2 has a $200M budget.

These numbers are ABYSMAL and not sure why some of you are celebrating :rip: 

People celebrating this is like being happy the film will ALMOST break even… lol. Its a mess like that should NOT be the highest goal 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is this film, as objectively as possible, better or worse than Joker? It's clearly not performing as well but what about the quality? (spoiler-free answers please!)

subtext / fantasy

44 minutes ago, RickMonster98 said:

I read somewhere that Todd said the budget is not 200m. Maybe its not right? :bradley: i cant explain this high budget either, it doesnt make sense the movie has 4 locations

Yeah it was 190M … great :vegas:

• LMAO 1

• Teletubby changed the title to Joker: Folie à Deux debuts with $37.8M in its opening weekend at domestic box office