Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Im seeing it in Wednesday, haven't spoiled myself yet, but not gonna lie kinda worried that some said it's a courtroom drama or something along those lines, if it is, i hope it's still going to be interesting

Flippy

I haven’t spoiler myself, luckily! I will watch it in 10 hours and I am READY! :tony:

Edited by Flippy
TMBT 3.22.11 // TBTWB 1.17.13 // ArtRAVE 6.3.14 // C2CT 5.28.15 // TJWT 8.13.17 // Chromatica World Tour 9.8.22
  • Love 2

StarstruckIllusion

AHHH

IT WAS SO GOOD

Gaga was great and like… compared to the first one this was such a step up. As usual, all the fan meltdowns were for nothing. The GP was living for it in my theatre - they were def hooked and entertained.

Gaga showed her singing chops when sense, and Joaquin sounds great - it’s giving another Bradley Cooper singing moment. 

The film is beautifully shot, the plot is super engaging… and hearing the songs in Harlequin - in their context (they have different instrumentals) was sooo special.

Close to You’s moment… oh my GODDD. Cinema. 

It’s the perfect sequel Joker could have had. Better in every way than the original. 

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 11
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StarstruckIllusion said:

AHHH

IT WAS SO GOOD

Gaga was great and like… compared to the first one this was such a step up. As usual, all the fan meltdowns were for nothing. The GP was living for it in my theatre - they were def hooked and entertained.

Gaga showed her singing chops when sense, and Joaquin sounds great - it’s giving another Bradley Cooper singing moment. 

The film is beautifully shot, the plot is super engaging… and hearing the songs in Harlequin - in their context (they have different instrumentals) was sooo special.

It’s the perfect sequel Joker could have had. Better in every way than the original. 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I’m going into it cautiously optimistic, but hearing your thoughts definitely brought my hopes up!

Did you enjoy the first movie? Cause I *loved* it and one of the more interesting critiques of Joker 2 I’ve heard is that if you liked the first one, you might not like the sequel. I think it may be because of the addition of Gaga and the musical aspects, but those things would only plus the movie for me. 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Love 1

StarstruckIllusion
3 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

AHHH

IT WAS SO GOOD

Plus they were giving out these posters and it’s so cute!

IMG-6344.jpg

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

StarstruckIllusion
1 minute ago, Reality said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I’m going into it cautiously optimistic, but hearing your thoughts definitely brought my hopes up!

Did you enjoy the first movie? Cause I *loved* it and one of the more interesting critiques of Joker 2 I’ve heard is that if you liked the first one, you might not like the sequel. I think it may be because of the addition of Gaga and the musical aspects, but those things would only plus the movie for me. 

Idk… I didn’t really enjoy it bc it just was like radically nonsensical in a way and kinda incel coded. This sequel brought things to reality a bit - but it’s still very Joker. Very crazy, very wild. The ending… was just woah. 

I guess I could see that critique but I mean, while it’s different, it’s still a very good movie - shits on the OG imo. Idk I can kinda see some not enjoying it but can’t fully put myself in that headspace. 

but yeah as a Gaga fan - she shined so much and like the movie is still very crazy, beautiful and the plot is an upgrade

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Roughhouse Dandy

I understand why the movie is divisive and some people don't like the ending, but I thought it was a nearly perfect sequel. A poignant and critical look at the aftermath of both the plot and the real-life consequences of the 1st film. Far better than the original imo. Phenomenal. 

Gaga is incredible even in her silent moments. I gotta gather my thoughts before I really hit y'all with a rant for the ages, but I will be going to see it again asap. Hat's off to all involved. 

Edited by Roughhouse Dandy
This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 3

CoolTrainerTerry

I enjoyed it. Never saw the first one and have no desire to. 

I thought Gaga was great, 

Spoiler

but she definitely should have been used more. 

• Like 1

SPOILER FREE THOUGHTS:

Just got out of the theatre… I hate to say it but I think the movie was overall terrible — I think it’s the worst film she’s been in. I love a character study like the first one but the main complaints of the critics were true.

- Gaga was not only under utilized, it felt like Todd not only wrote her as an after thought but it felt like she was randomly injected into scenes— she wasn’t marinated into the storyline at all and it lowkey felt like those cringy celebrity cameos in movies/shows. Not her fault at all, her acting was amazing but if she was removed, the plot would flow better…

- but the plot sucks… it felt pointless, it didn’t really bring anything new until the last 15 minutes. The movie didn’t know what it wanted to be.

- The flow of the story was random and edits were jarring. It tried to be genre bending but it just felt like random scenes in injected in this dull courthouse drama.

• Like 2
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 12

HelloHangoverz

her inclusion in the movie, franchise and fandom just feels quite ham-fisted and uncomfortable. from a marketing perspective i feel they've bitten off more than they can chew in terms of trying to keep these vastly different audiences happy, and in trying to keep them in a state of willingness to actually go see it. it is a musical, no it isn't, but it is really being a prime example. not to mention billing her as a lead, only to give her 50 minutes screen time. then for her character to be redundant to the entire plot?

from what I've seen I think I'll really enjoy her acting, but maybe Gaga's presence will feel a little jarring. she needs to build her own world, not visit somebody else's

edit: just throwaway thoughts. i always welcome more Gaga content, and we're getting two whole musical projects out of it, so I'm living atm

Edited by HelloHangoverz
my head is filled with broken mirrors, so many I can't look away
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

her inclusion in the movie, franchise and fandom just feels quite ham-fisted and uncomfortable. from a marketing perspective i feel they've bitten off more than they can chew in terms of trying to keep these vastly different audiences happy, and in trying to keep them in a state of willingness to actually go see it. it is a musical, no it isn't, but it is really being a prime example. not to mention billing her as a lead, only to give her 50 minutes screen time. then for her character to be redundant to the entire plot?

from what I've seen I think I'll really enjoy her acting, but maybe Gaga's presence will feel a little jarring. she needs to build her own world, not visit somebody else's

1000% spot on.

• Like 1

Comparing this to @StarstruckIllusion and @Roughhouse Dandy's reviews is fascinating because they loved it :icega: 

A deeply divisive movie just wants to make me see it more because I want to see where I fall on it :giveup: 

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹
  • Like 3

• River pinned this topic