Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

Folie à Deux (Song)

Joshie S

Featured Posts

Joshie S

I’ve noticed no one seems to be discussing the other original song from the new Harlequin album, Folie à Deux. Gaga wrote this waltz and has mentioned it a few times in interviews. When I first listened to it, I had to stop and replay—it instantly grabbed me with its lyrics.

The opening line, "Take my hand, stay here, my friend," immediately reminded me of Joanne:

“Take my hand, stay Joanne, heaven’s not ready for you” — Joanne. :enigma:

Later in Folie à Deux, something caught my attention in the third verse when Gaga sings:

“I know where we’re going, know where we’re going… and it’s a heaven.”

It brought to mind the iconic lyric from Joanne:

“Girl, where do you think you’re goin'? Girl, where do you think you're goin', goin', girl?" :what:

Another intriguing line follows the mention of heaven: "An island for when we’ll both settle in, a paradise." This made me wonder if we could finally be hearing Paradise, the long-rumoured jazz track she supposedly wrote during Cheek to Cheek.

Do you think these similarities are just coincidences, or could the two songs be connected? Especially since Gaga referenced the JWT tape in the cover art, it feels like a deliberate choice of lyrics for the original waltz, which she describes as “falling apart” in the film—much like she did at the JWT.

Thoughts on the song? I think it's beautiful and deserves more attention :flutter:

The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

TheSine

Best song ever. Sorry not sorry. I have it repeated more than Happy Mistake.

"👁 Hate U" 💜🩷🩵
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 2

Agunimon

This one is my favorite track. I'm disappointed there isn't a lot of discourse about it.

Anderson123

Happy Mistake and Folie a Deux are my favorites. Maybe because they’re originals or they’re just that good but you’re right, it deserves to be talked about more. The lyrics do seem like it could he Paradise and there was another thread about it. 

I’m very very curious to hear Joker soundtrack and find out if it’s going to be the exact same song or is there a “Lee” vocals version of it over there. I assume they will push that for Original Song at the Oscars. 

Zaskar

I had the exact thought you posted lol

there’s some, maybe unintentional, nod to Joanna (track)

FFXIV WhiteMage

I love it! My favorite track.

it just brings pure joy when I listen to it. :traumatica:

Reality

It's a beautiful track, I love how it evolves from being a pretty waltz to something huge and bombastic by the end

𝐼 𝒥𝒰𝒮𝒯 𝒩𝐸𝐸𝒟 𝒜 𝒟𝒪𝒮𝐸 𝒪𝐹 𝒯𝐻𝐸 𝑅𝐼𝒢𝐻𝒯 𝒮𝒯𝒰𝐹𝐹

Bobina

Tbh, it was the least memorable one for me (besides triggering an automatic "STAY JOANNE") 

Sad Shame GIF

artdoll

This song makes me want to cook or bake

@Rat Boy share your recipes

。゚☁ glued up, sometimes it's too much ☁ ゚。

Rat Boy
7 minutes ago, artdoll said:

This song makes me want to cook or bake

@Rat Boy share your recipes

"I am a Walmart version of Rat Boy!” - River
  • LMAO 1

artd0me

As I already said in the Harlequin discussion thread:

it’s also my favorite song of the album, it’s pure art. The beginning of the song reminds me of Disney’s Cinderella, and later during that part where you hear that background “choir” sing, I see princesses dancing and twirling around while at the same time thinking of a circus/carnival

that song… wow Gaga

• YAAAS 1

lilboyblue

That's a really interesting catch! Yep, I see it as definitely deliberate. She knows what she's doing starting a new song woth those words.

It lyrically could be JoannePart Deux. We also know that the film version doesn't have vocals, so she had a freehand in the story she'd like to tell in the song.

Maybe it's her telling us that she's not lost anymore like she was before. She knows the path forward now. 

:traumatica:

River
18 minutes ago, artd0me said:

during that part where you hear that background “choir” sing

It's my favorite part, gives me goosebumps every single time

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Battle 4 Ur Life

it was legit playing in my head before I opened this. I love it.

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”