Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Reviews । Harlequin

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Bebe

This won’t count to Metacritic but this article is a “live review” of every single track with these highlights:

“Track 8: The Joker

"The Joker" was originally written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley and was taken from the 1964 musical The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd.

Sergio Mendes and Shirley Bassey have also covered the track but none come close to the Gaga version which is absolutely stunning.

A song that is so suited to her voice and the simple arrangement is excellent too. 

Great vocals and a pounding guitar accompany Gaga's soaring vocals. Wow...  “

“Track 12: Happy Mistake

The other track on the album that is a non cover and has been specially recorded by Gaga for Harlequin.

Happy Mistake was co-written with album producer Michael Tucker and is a slow paced semi-acoustic number with plenty of references to the character in the movie.

'My head is filled with broken mirrors, so many I can't look away'.

Another stunning vocal performance form the 38-year-old and another of the standout tracks on the album.”

https://en.as.com/entertainment/lady-gagas-new-album-release-live-review-harlequin-songs-lyrics-joker-2-n/?outputType=amp

Overall review was positive to mixed, with the reviewer ultimately questioning if the project of mostly covers was needed, but praising her vocal performance.

• Like 5

GaGaAst
24 minutes ago, Bebe said:

Overall review was positive to mixed, with the reviewer ultimately questioning if the project of mostly covers was needed, but praising her vocal performance.

I feel the critics narrative would be mostly around this while praising her vocals and how lively the music is

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs
  • Like 1

buzzkill
49 minutes ago, GaGaAst said:

I feel the critics narrative would be mostly around this while praising her vocals and how lively the music is

I’m wondering that too. To me, sadly felt like I was always in search of a cumble of originality in the songs to justify this album. Huge no for me.

• Like 2
  • LMAO 3

LG666

Two things:

1: I think it's smart that this is mostly covers. If it was all original, it would potentially overshadow LG7. Plus, doing covers shares the same method as playing a character.

2: Personally, I HATE musical theater. At least contemporary musical theater, but love jazz. I find musical theater to be corny. But damn, this album is so good and blew me away. I'm impressed. The vocals are insane and it really captures a specific vibe that only Gaga can do. Ten out of ten and helps build even more hype for FAD.

Brilliant album and project.

• Like 7

smitherz
22 minutes ago, Stefanotta said:

“I want all the music to be a surprise, as much as I can. I know that, in some ways, you all hate that," she says, laughing (she also declines to answer whether the long-awaited "Telephone" sequel featuring Beyoncé is on LG7 or not).”

suspicious GIF

• YAAAS 1

4BLAiNE

I’ve felt this way a long time, and the release of the exceptional Harlequin has only further cemented my belief that Gaga is held, in my opinion, to almost ridiculously high standards that often feels very unfair in some reviews of her work. 

With all due respect, I could almost guarantee that 95% of other major pop acts releasing an album this vocally and instrumentally masterful would be universally lauded, but the fact Gaga gets a “Yes We Know She Can Sing and do Jazz” in a review is very interesting to me. I truly think some take her level of skill for granted these days. 

Which actually, only further cements how incredible she really is.

Happy Harlequin Day everybody! ❤️

Edited by 4BLAiNE
  • Like 18
  • YAAAS 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 4

Blackout19

thats why her and Lana are the last great singers :heart:

Vino cu noi în bucătărie, adu cu tine și o farfurie.
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 2

Karl

If you're referring to The Guardian review they're always snooty and want to be opposite what everyone else thinks I wouldn't worry too much, the pitchfork of newspapers imo :ladyhaha:

• Like 4

Lucas

I understand what you're saying but it's also her 3rd album with jazz songs, we can't expect fans or critics to act surprised at this point :happy:

• Like 3