💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

news

HARLEQUIN Discussion

FATCAT

Featured Posts

Sarah H

The Joker and Happy Mistake are my favourites by quite a long way. But I've only listened once so far. Folie á Deux is not the style of song I'd usually listen to but I like it! 

• Like 1

LG2008

Happy Mistake, Folie à Deux, World on a String and The Joker are definitely my favorites... I'm shook :wtfga::firega:

• YAAAS 1

NATAH

listening the album in full again today and omg i'm actually stanning

Oh When The Saints!!!!

Dance Hair Whip GIF by Lifetime Telly

mother, what must i do?
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 4
  • YAAAS 3

magicalgaga

just now listening to the album for the first time (slept in unfortunately :cryga:) and oh my GOD!!!!! i swear every time this woman drops new music i am amazed by just how her vocals keep getting better and better after each release! :koons:

i was born this way, baby

Cello

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT :tony::giveup: I'm sooo happy we got her studio version of this song

do i need to understand a pineapple to eat a banana
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

DrewPa

A very plesant album to listen to.

I was surprised by her rendition of That's Entertainment : At first I was surprised by her serious, almost melancholic way to sing it, since I always considered it as a cheerful song, then I paid attention to the lyrics... it's quite dark! (Of course, it is possible that it matches the movie better)

Did I mishear, or she changed some lyrics? I have the impression she says "A child kills his mother" and nor "A chap kills his father"... 

Edited by DrewPa
I'm a real Fire CRRRACKERRR
  • Thanks 1

Cpeer

USA TODAY on 'Harlequin': "Harlequin' is Gaga at her boldest and best (...) It is impossible to hear “Harlequin” and have nothing but increased respect for the singer-actress (...) It’s bold, grand and perfectly Gaga."

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/09/27/lady-Gaga-joker-album-harlequin-review/75405562007/

DID SHE LIE? :firega:

• Like 1

nath4gaga2

I know no-one asked for it but here's my review:

1. Good Morning - Real bright PJ song, an absolute Sunday mood. From the classics of musical theatre, got the barbershop in the background. Feels like the bookend to the final song on the album which is nice. We absolutely have to have her in a classic musical soon, Anything Goes perhaps? Lovely Sax solo in the middle, feels - full of joy. 8/10

2. Get Happy (2024) - Made most famous by Judy Garland on her last film. Love the slow start to the song, but then a good ramp up - just a little something missing towards the middle of the song in my opinion but I don't know what. Feels good from the key change onwards. I need her to sing this with a full on tap dance chorus backing her up a la 42nd street. We get some electric guitars towards the latter end of the song which strangely don't feel out of place. 8/10

3. Oh, When the Saints - When I saw this was going to be on the album I didn't know what to think, but pleasantly surprised. Got that gospel organ at the beginning and still didn't know what to expect. Feels... Beach Boys-esque? Her melody decisions are lovely. I hate the beginning of the instrumental section but then it brings itself back around. Queen of key changes anyone? 6.5/10

4. World on a String - A bit on the repetitive side for me. Not much else to talk about I think, her voice is good as always but really not my sort of thing. Really not fussed about the instrumental either if I'm honest. Upset to give this such a low score. 4.5/10

5. If My Friends Could See Me Now - Love the snare drum solo at the end of the slow section. Really like it when it ramps up in pace, I feel like I need her to do a full broadway revue with dancers and glitz and glam. Great scatting, and growls. My sort of vibe, love it. 8.5/10

6. That's Entertainment - Perfect golden age of movie musicals song. This could be her pitch to bring back that classic style of film - I would love it honestly. She would have thrived in this era of movie musicals. Got a lovely MT style cadence and emphasis, combined with some jazz flair. 8/10

7. Smile - Originally written by Charlie Chaplin with no lyrics, it has been a standard since Nat King Cole's version in 1954. Feel this is a very delicate version, haunting instrumentation. Perhaps this is a nod to Tony Bennett and the sadness she holds at his passing. I love the end where it is left to breathe and the audience is invited to think about what has just happened. Feels completely the most heartfelt on the album. 9.5/10

8. The Joker - We move for the first time into a rock influence - I really would love to see her pursue a full rock project ever since I heard that snippet she sang of Led Zeppelin's Black Dog at the Howard Stern show. Great take on a classic, and her voice really soars. Please Gaga, I beg, release a full rock album like Midnight Sky. 10/10

9. Folie a deux -  Not many contemporary artists release music in 3/4 time these days. Nice to see it brought back even if it is in this format. The detuned flutes give it an edge, but still is a touch grating on my ears. Her voice is beautiful and light here, using her voice in a very classical musical theatre way which I enjoy from her in this context. 8/10

10. Gonna Build a Mountain - I don't know the original song. A fun song, kinda bluesy. Sits really nicely in her voice with a little rock edge at time. I really enjoy the speed changes - another song that just proves she is masterful with her voice.  8/10

11. Close to You - I adore this song, and The Carpenters. I'm not sure how I feel about it being faster than the original, but I like the instrumentation a lot. Another Sunday morning song to dance about the kitchen with. It helps that I love this song, but this is one of my favourites on the album. I love her sensitivity to the original melody but also changing it up where it can be. Stunning. 10/10

12. Happy Mistake - Only original song on the album and still fits in really nicely with the rest. Very much reminds me of Creep by Radiohead at times. Again some rock vocals here, how many times do we need to beg!! I think her ability to bring emotion through her voice really shines here, especially accompanied by the pared back instrumental. I like the haunting quality to her head voice towards the end - how many contemporary artists can bring the levels she does to her voice? 10/10

13. That's Life - At her full jazz glory on this song. Would absolutely belong on C2C or L4S. One of the things that she really showcases on the song is her strong and even vibrato. I love the latter third of the song where it really amps up - what a rousing way to finish the album! 9/10

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1

KeepOnSwimming

I am so positively surprised by this album. Her vocals are superb, I am literally shocked how incredible her voice shines on this record. I think 7 songs made it into my playlist, wich I didnt expect to happen. I thought maybe I'll like one song or so, but nope, bi*ch surprised me again. :diane:

Happy Mistake is the most hauntingly beautiful song she has ever written. It is perfect. The lyrics are so raw, the instrumentals are so laid back and let Gaga's voice carry the whole build up intensity of the track perfectly. I truly am in awe of her creativity and artistry. :kara:

LordByron28

This album is a grower for me. At first listen, The Joker, Happy Mistake, & FAD were the only ones that resonated with me. Then I began to really like Smile, World on a String, and Close to You. Now the whole album has clicked and I really enjoy the whole thing and find it brilliant. 

I’ve listened to the first half and so far I’m not impressed:traumatica:

I have some errands to do and I’ll listen to the rest later :selena:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.
  • Love 1

VasilisVas

This album is definitely not for me so I’m going to kindly and patiently wait for lg7 lead single. Glad to see many others enjoying this album, though.