Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
throwback

Ten Years of Cheek to Cheek

27monster27

Featured Posts

27monster27

210907-AMA-756.78-Tony-Bennett-Lady-Gaga

On September 19th, 2014, Cheek to Cheek was first released in Germany and Australia. It was then released in the UK and France, on the 22nd, and the US on the 23rd. Other countries followed on the 23rd and later into 2014. The record was a massive and unexpected move at the time for Lady Gaga; she had worked in electro-pop and dance-pop since 2008, and then in 2014 she released a jazz album alongside Tony Bennett. As she was still doing her ArtRave tour at the time, this album represented a duality of for Lady Gaga with "Lady" (Jazz and other standards) and "Gaga" (Pop and dance music). Contrary to popular belief, the album was not intended as a career saving move post-ARTPOP as it had been in consideration since mid-2011, confirmed since January 2013, and recording sessions began in June of 2013. Regardless, the image change caused people to re-focus on Lady Gaga's talent, and her public reception would slowly recover again. The record would win a Grammy in 2015 for Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album.

----

It's crazy to think that this was ten years ago. It was such a different move for a pop star to be working with a Jazz legend, and I like to think that this helped to challenge the rockist belief that pop stars are "naturally not talented" compared to musicians of other genres.

he/him/his
  • Like 4
  • Love 22

Ultimecia

:bradley:

This is making me so emotional.

The C2C era was so special. :heart:

Time. It will not wait, no matter how hard you hold on...
  • Love 5

phantasmas

one of my fave albums of all time!

i always go back to this (and jazz standards in general) when today's music starts to bore me 

was able to see them on tour during this era too and i cherish those moments so much :traumatica:

Edited by phantasmas
Snapchat: @phantasmas
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Smother Em Eh

I own the CD and listen to it a lot on Apple Music too. Love Love Love it! 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!
  • Like 2

Stephen

Aside from her solos, my favorite duets on the album are I Can’t Give You Anything But Love and But Beautiful. :wub:

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1

NewUsername

The album itself is so beautiful and the era as a whole was so so so enjoyable. I have very fond memories of it :flutter: 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

KevinWright

A perfect move after the mess of the ARTPOP album cycle. 

I believe that this album truly change her as a person and as an artist. :kara:

Love you Tony for everything. :tony:

• Love 2

Economy

Still one of the most critical moments in her career to be honest

I firmly believe if Sound With The Music Oscar Tribute + Cheek To Cheek album did not occur Gagas career would not have rebounded and shed end up almost as bad as Katy Perry

GP was completely over her and bad completely dismissed her as too weird and too desperate for attention

These couple years of simpler and more toned down work that focused on her vocal talent reminded people of her talent and she also got a lot of attention when she dressed "normal" because it was so unusual for Gaga to do that.

This made it possible for her to rebound. In some ways Tony Bennet helped Gaga even more than Gaga helped Tony.

Gaga gave Tony a #1 hit album... but Tony helped bring Gagas career back! :giveup:

• Like 4
  • Love 3

rvfzme

This album is a very important moment when Tony saved her during ARTPOP era. It's too symbolic and beautiful. She deserved it :heart: 

We thank you Tony :heart:

• Love 4

AnglerfishbraBENUS

someone needs to go to jail for the album cover choice but yes. More monsters should give this album a chance. They discard it because it’s jazz and ‘covers’ when the point of jazz music is to interpret these fabulous songs written by fabulous songwriters 

• Like 1

27monster27
5 hours ago, rvfzme said:

This album is a very important moment when Tony saved her during ARTPOP era. It's too symbolic and beautiful. She deserved it :heart: 

We thank you Tony :heart:

Yeah Tony was one of the only people in the industry people at the time who cared for her well being.

4 hours ago, AnglerfishbraBENUS said:

someone needs to go to jail for the album cover choice but yes. More monsters should give this album a chance. They discard it because it’s jazz and ‘covers’ when the point of jazz music is to interpret these fabulous songs written by fabulous songwriters 

This is a great way to put it. A lot of jazz has always been about interpretation of music. It would be nice to hear Paradise one day though too.

he/him/his