Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

Miley Cyrus Sued Over 'Flowers' For Allegedly Copying Bruno Mars Song

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

Didymus
10 minutes ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

We dont need any more bad press around Gaga - Joaquin is doing enough damage already 

Really? What did Joaquin do?

• Thanks 1

BELLYACHE
1 hour ago, southpaw773 said:

More Ambulance chaser lawyer greed 

I’m literally watching the crowded room and just learnt about this phrase lol

River

The case of “Flowers” and “When I Was Your Man” is a little different, though. Those previously mentioned examples were mostly based around sonic similarities — melodic, rhythmic and textural — which were close enough in nature that a case could have been made that the original’s copyright was infringed upon. However, not only are there no direct samples or obvious interpolations between “Flowers” and “Your Man,” there are no major sonic overlaps either — no obvious shared melodies or rhythms, no major similarities in production textures. When Cyrus sings “I can buy myself flowers,” for instance, she does so in a cadence and melody of her own, without any significant similarity to how Mars sang “I should’ve bought you flowers.”

The only obvious similarities, then, are in the songs’ lyrics — which are not identical, but do share elements and ideas — and merely using some of the same words as an older song is not considered grounds for infringement.

https://www.billboard.com/pro/miley-cyrus-flowers-credit-bruno-mars-writer-credit/

They have no case basically, just imagine all the rappers suing each other for the answer songs lol

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Catnikko
1 hour ago, StarstruckIllusion said:

We dont need any more bad press around Gaga - Joaquin is doing enough damage already 

whom, what, when, where and why? :air: 

Dance in the shadow of the meow

NATAH
4 hours ago, eddyjeddy said:

He’s definitely trying to pay his debt off 

he doesn't have any debt tho

mother, what must i do?

A Very Gaga Holida
7 hours ago, lg5 said:

How silly, he gave her his blessing to use the lyrics and melody before it was released lol. 

And it’s not really an actual melody if you know what I mean, it’s been used a million times already, it’s like the two most basic notes

• Like 1

SchwineLove
4 hours ago, DelusionalGaga said:

But Flowers doesn't even sample or interpolate When I Was Your Man, right? She basically just references the lyrics aka kinda "sings about" this other song, no? I really don't see how this could be seen as a copy? 

The Flowers chorus melody kinda interpolates the beginning verse of If I Was Your Man, which actually a very general melody.

Teletubby
6 hours ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

Going by the name Tempo Music Investment they probably just dipped a bit of money to Bruno and Atlantic records but ultimately they don’t have such privilege. They are not part of the composition team.

It is an investment company that buys catalogs from artists/songwriters. They own a portion of copyrights to “When I Was Your Man” after acquiring it from Philip Lawrence, who co-wrote the song with Mars.

i ❤️

Economy
5 hours ago, eddyjeddy said:

He’s definitely trying to pay his debt off 

Does he have debt or money problems?

Maybe that explains why Gaga ended up being named first in song and has it on her youtube accoubt even tho the song was his idea and Bruno Mars has more sing time than Gaga which always seemed odd to me

Maybe she agreed to have him receive more royalties from the song in exchange for a bigger lead on paper :oprah:

RickMonster98

There is absolutely a similarity melodically in the chorus, lets be serious

Flowers literally wouldnt exist without Bruno's track

Edited by RickMonster98

Teletubby
24 minutes ago, Economy said:

Does he have debt or money problems?

Maybe that explains why Gaga ended up being named first in song and has it on her youtube accoubt even tho the song was his idea and Bruno Mars has more sing time than Gaga which always seemed odd to me

Maybe she agreed to have him receive more royalties from the song in exchange for a bigger lead on paper :oprah:

he doesn't have money problems

Bruno's record label undergoes major changes. They recently fired their CEO and announced a new one in  August. So it is possible that it had to be released by Interscope.

Bruno has 40%, James Fauntleroy 20% and Gaga, D'Mile and Andrew Watt remaining 40% of songwriter's share of publishing.

i ❤️
  • Thanks 1

Economy
5 minutes ago, Teletubby said:

he doesn't have money problems

Bruno's record label undergoes major changes. They recently fired their CEO and announced a new one in  August. So it is possible that it had to be released by Interscope.

Bruno has 40%, James Fauntleroy 20% and Gaga, D'Mile and Andrew Watt remaining 40% of songwriter's share of publishing.

Thanks!