celeb

Dua Lipa reveals she was expelled for skipping school

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Dua was born in London. Her parents had moved there from Kosovo, after the war in Bosnia broke out in 1992. She started singing lessons at 9, but her family returned to Kosovo when she was 11. Four years later she decided to go back to Britain and try and become a pop star.

She was living with a family friend in London, but was pretty much on her own. She skipped school so often she flunked out. 

Dua Lipa: Basically I got expelled. And-- I remember calling my parents and they're like, "OK. Well, you did this. Find yourself a school or you're going to come back to Kosovo " 

She did find another high school and graduated… but decided college could wait. 

Her cover songs online had gotten some notice… And just three years after leaving Kosovo….18-year-old Dua Lipa got a record deal with Warner Brothers. 

Dua Lipa: I walked in with a dream of, "I want to sing. I wanna perform. I wanna write."

Dua Lipa isn't afraid to admit…she enjoys a good time… And that's what her music is all about..
It is pure pop.. and Dua Lipa's got no problem with that.
"You're always met with some kind of pushback as a female artist, if you're not, like, with a guitar or with a piano, just like, "Oh. She can't sing. Oh. It's all processed. Oh. It's this. Oh. It's whatever."
"I just think there's just, like, a stigma around-- pop music."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dua-lipa-pop-music-60-minutes-transcript/

Edited by Teletubby
i ❤️
  • Like 4

bionic

There's a gap in the story somewhere (and I suspect it stinks of money and privilege). A 15 year old girl doesn't just get sent to the UK to pursue a career in music with a family friend.

There's much less stigma around female artists pursuing pop music than there is female artists in most other genres.

Edited by bionic
buy bionic
  • Like 5
  • LMAO 2

HelloHangoverz
2 minutes ago, bionic said:

There's a gap in the story somewhere (and I suspect it stinks of money and privilege). A 15 year old girl doesn't just get sent to the UK to pursue a career in music with a family friend.

There's much less stigma around female artists pursuing pop music than there is female artists in most other genres.

This. It's like when Madonna claimed she arrived in NY w $35 in her pocket. Then her brother wrote that book and laid it all bare :lmao:

`${'đź“…' * 5}`.repeat(10) + ' Batman!';
  • Shook 2
  • Thanks 2

NATAH
2 minutes ago, HelloHangoverz said:

This. It's like when Madonna claimed she arrived in NY w $35 in her pocket. Then her brother wrote that book and laid it all bare :lmao:

what's the tea there? :cheeky:

mother, what must i do?

HelloHangoverz
Just now, NATAH said:

her financially comfortable dad got her a job lined up in New York before she arrived as he had contacts there, along with a place to live :nooo: her dance teacher back in Michigan also had NY contacts who helped her out. but the way she tells it, she was couch surfing every night

• Shook 4

bionic
1 minute ago, NATAH said:

from memory, a bit like gaga her dad was sending her money.

buy bionic
  • Like 1

Red

Hermione is shocked and very upset by her terrible fate

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

HelloHangoverz
2 minutes ago, bionic said:

from memory, a bit like Gaga her dad was sending her money.

if you read the court docs from the fusari case, it's laid bare how much of a leg up Gaga really had. love my girl and don't judge her for it as she's never really marketed herself as self-made. but her dad had the acumen to look over all her contracts, made her decisions for her, negotiated with fusari on her behalf etc

• Like 6

faysalaaa

Its weird her family allowed her to live in another country at the age of 13 with a family friend!!

• Thanks 2

Lucas
1 hour ago, Teletubby said:

"You're always met with some kind of pushback as a female artist, if you're not, like, with a guitar or with a piano, just like, "Oh. She can't sing. Oh. It's all processed. Oh. It's this. Oh. It's whatever."
"I just think there's just, like, a stigma around-- pop music."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dua-lipa-pop-music-60-minutes-transcript/

This is 100% true! I've read many times on this forum that Gaga can't do pop to be a real artist, when pop music is imo, the genre of music that offers the most creativity as you can basically create endless sounds instead of being limitated to certain types of instruments.

Gohan

Walka miiiiile in these Louboutinsss

work GIF by Iggy Azalea

tryna go ask Alice, tryna catch that rabbit
  • LMAO 1

Teletubby
9 minutes ago, bionic said:

her father is marketing and communications expert, he has his own communications agency. He was also lead singer and guitarist of the Kosovan rock band. Dua Lipa was project manager for UNICEF anti-smoking Campaign and appeared in her father commercials when she was about 17.

i ❤️

Didymus
11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

pop music is imo, the genre of music that offers the most creativity as you can basically create endless sounds instead of being limitated to certain types of instruments.

I get what you mean but I do think pop's limitations in terms of structure and melody negatively outweighs those benefits compared to other genres.

• Thanks 1

Juanlittlem

I was a bad girl, I did some bad things...

Dejare de quererte cuando un pintor sordo pinte el sonido de un pétalo al caer en el suelo de cristal de un castillo que no existe.
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 1