271 members have voted

1. 1. Are you still hyped for JFAD?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Featured Posts

Monstermilo

i will still support but it looks like its gonna mildly flop 

i feel like she will be a standout performance but ppl are just not vibing with the plot/execution/music aspect.

CautiousLurker
26 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I won't defend the woke comment that was just stupid :selena: but the incel thing is really not the movie's fault. There's nothing in that movie that's pro-incel, it was just a weird narrative pushed by the media. The movie's themes are poverty, abuse, kindness or lack thereof etc.

That's fair, if that's the case, however... and I'm going to make assumptions here - there's a particular brand of (usually straight) men who aren't bigoted per se, but you can kinda tell that they harbour some mild antipathy towards queers or those who are more progressive politically - they see them as whiny, insecure complainers who ruin their fun cuz they just can't take a joke... I live in a pretty conservative part of England so I have to interact with men like that more than I'd like, and I'm over it - I don't want to associate with those kinds of men more than absolutely necessary, and I definitely don't want to consume their art because when they do try to make some kind of socio-political statement in their art, more often than not I walk away from it feeling like they've bastardized something that's personal to me. And I can't help but get that vibe from Todd cuz... he kinda told on himself, so... I don't think his work is overtly offensive or anything, like by all means have fun with his movies, but I'll probably skip :huntyga:

Men are naturally more dominating, aggressive, and logical thinking because we have balls.
  • Thanks 1

SpadesToStart

I just watched the first movie this weekend, and I think Gaga is going to fit into that world so well. I can’t wait to see how the music is integrated, there were so many instances in the first one where you could see Arthur was clearly wrapped up in some music only he could hear.

• Love 4

ThisGuyTony
2 hours ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

Behind the scenes drama??

Spill pls

1 hour ago, OMonster said:

What BTS drama?

Joaquin asking for rewrites of scenes (and apparently Gaga was okay with it) but still she spent time learning and prepping her lines only for them to change.

”You think, ‘Okay, this scene works, let’s just go shoot it.’ And Joaquin’s like, ‘No, no, no, let’s just have a quick meeting about it,’ and it’s three hours later and you’re rewriting it on a napkin. What’s great about Lady Gaga is that she really holds her own, both off camera when we’re in the trailer tearing things apart — which she probably spent the night before learning — but also on camera. It was not a small feat.””

Also Joaquin and the director had some controversies that came up (Joaquin leaving another film project; Todd called comedies woke).

Gaga’s role being reduced to supporting vs lead with the amount of scenes they cut out. 

Lots of reviews saying she did great with her acting but was underused.

• Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

SpadesToStart
2 hours ago, mamo said:

I was very much looking forward to it and I have my tickets booked already however upon seeing the reviews and also learning that Gaga's portrayal of Harley isn't featured as a lead, my excitement has dwindled ever so slightly. 

I liked the first Joker but I wasn't in love. In my mind I hoped this film would explore the dynamic between Joker and Harley more in depth given how it's been advertised but it seems her character is only a plot device. I genuinely thought this film would be "Mad Love" explored in a more darker/gritty context but it appears to be more of a courtroom drama. I'll truly see how I feel once I've watched it!

Side-note: Why even call it Folie á Deux (Shared madness) if the madness isn't even equally shared on screen?  

This is my preliminary complaint as well. Still excited to see the film, but that is what I was expecting from this project and frankly something that I think would have been a more worthwhile endeavor both artistically and commercially. We shall see!

Roughhouse Dandy
4 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

Joaquin asking for rewrites of scenes (and apparently Gaga was okay with it) but still she spent time learning and prepping her lines only for them to change.

”You think, ‘Okay, this scene works, let’s just go shoot it.’ And Joaquin’s like, ‘No, no, no, let’s just have a quick meeting about it,’ and it’s three hours later and you’re rewriting it on a napkin. What’s great about Lady Gaga is that she really holds her own, both off camera when we’re in the trailer tearing things apart — which she probably spent the night before learning — but also on camera. It was not a small feat.””

Also Joaquin and the director had some controversies that came up (Joaquin leaving another film project; Todd called comedies woke).

Gaga’s role being reduced to supporting vs lead with the amount of scenes they cut out. 

Lots of reviews saying she did great with her acting but was underused.

Oh, I heard that interview about last minute rewrites but didn't take it as drama. That just happens sometimes on shoots where you have freedom and good collaborators. 

The Todd and Joaquin stuff is yikes but I thought you were talking about like... arguments on set or something lol

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.

Anderson123

Yes I’m still very excited about it because not only is it a movie of one of my favorite genres, it’s Gaga doing an interesting character AND new music to get me waiting til LG7. 

Glomer

Yes!

After watching it in Venice, even though I loved it, I was like "ok, that's done" but now I'm getting hyped all over again.

I'm very curious to see other people's reactions and will be there first day to watch it for a second time!

Shyane
25 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

I feel like this is possible because many people online are against casting Gaga for that role unfortunately.

I am very excited! I haven’t watched any trailers or read any reviews. I saw some headlines that people aren’t loving it, but I can oftentimes disagree with critics/audiences. The first Joker was met with similar reviews and I quite love that movie! Regardless, seeing our lady on a big screen is always *fascinating* and the way she immerses into these roles has been such a treat to watch. Mama’s got some serious talent.

• Love 1

Stephen
1 hour ago, CautiousLurker said:

That's fair, if that's the case, however... and I'm going to make assumptions here - there's a particular brand of (usually straight) men who aren't bigoted per se, but you can kinda tell that they harbour some mild antipathy towards queers or those who are more progressive politically - they see them as whiny, insecure complainers who ruin their fun cuz they just can't take a joke... I live in a pretty conservative part of England so I have to interact with men like that more than I'd like, and I'm over it - I don't want to associate with those kinds of men more than absolutely necessary, and I definitely don't want to consume their art because when they do try to make some kind of socio-political statement in their art, more often than not I walk away from it feeling like they've bastardized something that's personal to me. And I can't help but get that vibe from Todd cuz... he kinda told on himself, so... I don't think his work is overtly offensive or anything, like by all means have fun with his movies, but I'll probably skip :huntyga:

Completely understand that. Personally I'm not convinced Todd is of that ilk but rather a typical boomer simply culture shocked by the sudden pervasiveness of 'wokeness'. Not that he's pro-bigotry or anything malicious, just a foot in mouth situation. I could be wrong though!

Ultimately, my experience with Batman, Joker and related characters is intrinsically tied to my queerness and my identity. I know that may sound weird :poot: but I personally find so much value in the subtext of these characters struggling with trauma, identity, self expression etc.

If the director was explicitly a bigot or the movie itself was explicitly pro-bigot, that's about the only thing that could turn me against it. My love for the lore is so deep and personal (just like my love for Gaga) that 1 unfortunate comment from the director can't tarnish it for me, or ruin my own personal experience with the art. For me, it's mine! :sweat:

To me what you described sounds like an unfortunate comment meets an unfortunate assumption, then worsened (understandably) by your personal experience :( but actually nothing to do with the movie itself. I wish you could experience Folie a Deux without all that baggage. :fatcat: Sincerely. But also, it's just 1 movie and she'll have many others! :holdmyhand:

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1